Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Respray advice

Views : 1351

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 22:23   #1
Velorum
VOC Member

Default Respray advice

Evening all

Although my 240's bodywork is in great shape the paintwork is beginning to show signs of age (not that bad for 16 years of use though!). There are a number of areas of wear and stone chip repairs etc. In addition there is a nasty scratch on one of the passenger doors cause by a key I think.

I was wondering about having a respray but have no experience of these. My guess is that it wouldnt need to be stripped down to bare metal just keyed and oversprayed but as I said I dont really know much about this sort of thing.

Has anyone had this done at a reasonable cost? Also - does anyone know of places that this can be done in my neck of the woods (Berkshire)?

Ian
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:54   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

As you say no need to dtrip back to bare metal. It is an expensive job though. Bodyshops are likely to charge £1500-£2500. Preperation and stripping down i slabour intensive. Paint is not cheap.
I am very fortunate that my friend works from home doing this sort of work. He typically charges £4-500 plus paint (£150ish). You really need to find someone like this near you.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 19:55   #3
Velorum
VOC Member

Thanks for that Mike

I dont mind paying £600 ish - finding a suitable person thats is reasonably local will be the thing I guess!

Ian
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:17   #4
Dez

Hi Velorum,

Let us know how you get on as i could do with a respray as well and only live down the road from you in Winnersh.

Dez
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 19:05   #5
Velorum
VOC Member

Sure thing Dez. I am chasing up a lead near Bracknell but will be a bit delayed as Im in the middle of a house move!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 17:46   #6
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Hello there, I have some experience in home spraying and I know a couple of painters in the derbyshire area, I know this is no help but this information may be.

Get to know your car, how the headlights come out, the dor cards come off, the tail lights come off etc, remove the bumpers and REALLY clean all of the car yourself every nok and cranny you can get to.

All this will leave is for the paint shop to mask up and key the car, then apply paint. You should get that for 600 pounds easily, but check howmany layers you will get from each coat, ie how many coats of paint and how many of varnish, you'll be surprised by the different quotes you get.

Best of luck with it anyway, one thing I would suggest is to have the bumpers painted as well as it really changes the look of the car for the better.

Regards Andi
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 17:51   #7
Velorum
VOC Member

Thanks Andi - that is very useful to know - hadnt thought about colour coding the bumpers - in fact havent seen any with this done - will have a trawl though the net.

Ian
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 21:29   #8
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

I've sprayed mine white against the red of the car, check out the projects section and look for my 245 project TULIP,

I'd love a dark metallic green (like a dark subaru green) with colour coded bumpers and a small lowering job on grey GLT wheels.

Check out some of the 240's in america, they seem to have bodykits and allsort, they spray the bumpers happily over there.
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:24   #9
ivor940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuning_redblock
Get to know your car, how the headlights come out, the dor cards come off, the tail lights come off etc, remove the bumpers and REALLY clean all of the car yourself every nok and cranny you can get to.

All this will leave is for the paint shop to mask up and key the car, then apply paint.

I did this on a Ford Sierra Estate . It cost £450 in Dublin 5 years ago. I had removed any easy removable trim and cleaned the whole car well with White Spirits. This removes Silicon polish, which is the bane of car resprays. On the bumpers, check out following link. I have used these products and they work well:

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/s...cat=203&shop=1
http://www.u-pol.com/countries/en/navigate.htm

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote