Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Had my car on rolling today

Views : 1338

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 17:26   #1
Rooster
Speed freak

Default Had my car on rolling today

Been to a rolling road day today and put mine on to try and get abit of a base figure before i start looking into getting it mapped,

Following mods on a 2001 2.0t,

Modified airbox with K&N panel filter,
Jetex 2.5in cat back exhuast,
De-cat (standard cat with internals knocked out)
14T T4 turbo
Dump valve (as if that matters)

Was running a 14psi of boost when turbo was first fitted but knocked down 2 turns on actuater cos it was running lean top side of 3rd gear so not sure whats its running now but its less than 14psi,

235bhp and 210Lbft of torque, if this is right which going on the 3 standard cars that ran and got around standard power i don't have much of a reason to think its not, then am quiet impressed altho a little skeptical
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 17:47   #2
timway
Snail Wars: A new shell

Thats interesting.... the 235bhp peak figure seems reasonable doesn't it? but the torque curve looks very strange, I'd have thought it would have peaked at around 3000-4000rpm then started to tail off, and what is that hump above 5500rpm caused by?
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 18:59   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

Yeah i know what you mean, it is a Lpt engine aswell so i would have thought the same, could be that the 14T doesn't spin up as fast hence the less torque low down but more further up,

I actually expected it to be abit more up and down all way through rev range due to still running standard map,
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 19:00   #4
Big T
Jimmy's Mate!

Do you know what the whp is? Would be interesting to see what it is compared to mine!!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 19:29   #5
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

I really do love the look of the 40 series, yes please tell us what your whp was,

Gary.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 23:21   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

Not sure what whp was, my mate video'd it on rollers ill see if he got it or not on video, i was just stood watching computer with my mouth open thinking that carn't be right,
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 17:21   #7
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Hi Rooster,

Which gear were these runs done in? If its 4th gear, I think the car was running really lean beyond 5400rpm which may explain the curious graph above those revs. The sudden dip in power and torque at around 5700rpm could be detonation (?) but to be honest, the RR operator probably would have been monitoring boost and AFR to be able to tell what was going on. I suspect the car was running lean because the 14T turbo really does start to run out of puff around 5000rpm and the fact that you've still got a rising power graph and then some funny "phenomenon" after that to me indicates that the boost / fuelling / ignition at that point is not quite right. I'm not entirely sure what contribution the decat pipe has in all this but I'd say you really need to be sure that its not running overly lean as there is a real risk of engine damage, given the higher compression the 2.0T runs.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 18:57   #8
Rooster
Speed freak

That was one of the reasons i turned the boost down a couple of weeks ago cos i could feel it pinking top side of 3rd gear and didn't want to run the risk of melting something so turned boost down,

Mates just bought a wideband lamba probe thingy so might borrow that off him to see what its doing, need to check fuel pressure aswell as am convinced my pumps louder than it used to be
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:20   #9
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
That was one of the reasons i turned the boost down a couple of weeks ago cos i could feel it pinking top side of 3rd gear
Seems pretty bad if you could feel/hear it! Could the knock sensor be not working?

Quote:
Mates just bought a wideband lamba probe thingy so might borrow that off him to see what its doing
Yeah I was kind of doing the same thing with the VOL-FCR as the O2 sensors are wideband ones in these cars, and our survey said uh-uh never goes above 0.06V under high boost/revs/acceleration. Well, this all assumes the lambda and the measuring equipment works ok but it seems alright the rest of the time (alright = meaningful data).

Quote:
need to check fuel pressure aswell as am convinced my pumps louder than it used to be
Thought you'd done that already and pressures were ok?

I now have 2 fuel pumps the uprated replacement one (which I DID want) and the normal replacement one (from the order I tried to cancel!) so maybe you could buy that one if you want, although pyaap has a nearly new one he could flog you probably ££££ cheaper if needs be.

After I fit mine - hopefully tomorrow - I'll report back on stuff and also on what combination of filters/hoses/wires I used.

Pete

P.S: On the torque (and therefore power) curves that hump at high revs does look like a bit of an odd thing, did the place that did the measurements say anything about it? It looks like something ballsed up somewhere to get that weird shape?.....
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 13:54   #10
Rooster
Speed freak

I tried to check fuel pressure but tool at work seem to prefer to leak fuel all over my intake manifold rather than read what pressure it was running at,

wanted to take car up road with it on as running it on ramp with your foot on brakes with fuel leaking everywhere's not the best way of doing it,

went out for a drive last night and running it from idle in 3rd gear to redline you can feel that hump in graph as it hits 5500, could just be a big hole in standard mapping of car