Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 Exhaust fumes in cabin

Views : 2971

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2020, 23:59   #1
MrBest

Default D4 Exhaust fumes in cabin

Hi, I have a v40 d4 on a 17 plate. I've got an issue with having a really strong diesel exhaust fumes coming into the cabin.
At first I thought it was the car infront but its done it repeatedly for over 12 months when no other cars have been near. It happens randomly and I cannot get it to do it on demand.
Its been to the dealers twice and they said their is nothing up with it.
The final straw came when having passengers in the car and it started again and people started to get worried it was going to burst into flames or something.
I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated
MrBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:37   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

There's some things to check:

- Have you checked the engine for any oil leaks? A hot engine & dripping oil onto hot parts can create quite a strong fumes smell. Check the fuel filter to see if there's any leaks around that too.

- Is your exhaust & manifold in good condition? (No cracks, letting fumes escape where they shouldn't!)

- It could be DPF related, I presume your car has one? Maybe your car is doing a regeneration of the system, or the DPF filter could be blocked? You should have an indication of the latter by a warning light on the dash, or a potential loss of power or fuel economy. A regeneration can cause a burning smell though.

If you do a lot of around town driving or driving at low speeds, you need to give the car a good run on the motorway or at higher speeds to clean the system out for at least 20 minutes from when the car is fully warmed up. Given that the smell your experiencing only seems to arise every so often, I'd be inclined to think its related to the DPF. If its a regeneration of the DPF system (Cleaning soot out of the filter), then the smell is actually normal providing it goes after the process is finished. Give the car a good run on the motorway or a dual carriageway to see if it helps & don't be afraid to put your foot down every so often () If you get no smell of fumes for a while after doing this, do the same again when you do get the same smell again to see if it helps. If it does, then its your DPF regenerating (Which is normal, but it needs time to fully complete - 20 minutes at higher speed from when the car reaches full operating temperature).

Failing that, I'd be bringing it straight back to the dealership of course.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 21st, 2020 at 01:59.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 01:46   #3
MrBest

No oil present, no lights illuminate in the dash. Does it indicate when its doing a regen?

The car mainly does 15/20 mile runs at 70 day in day out.

Its literally the smell if standing behind an old mk3 transit while its kicking out black smoke it nearly makes your eyes water. The last time it did i just got home. I got out and it just stank of dirty burnt diesel.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:01   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Have a read of this:

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/diesel_filter.shtml
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:04   #5
MrBest

Yeah nothing comes up on the dash, unlike in previous vehicles I used to get a muffler icon but no smell. The car is driven enthusiastically shall we say all of the time.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:09   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

I think another trip to the dealership might be your only option, as I'm not sure what else you can check. Your driving the car daily on the motorway, so that in theory rules out DPF issues.

The only other thing I could suggest is maybe going on a longer drive the next time it happens at motorway speed. Then see does the smell return afterwards & how soon if so.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 21st, 2020 at 02:12.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 03:34   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

deffo sounds like exhaust issues
Old May 15th, 2020, 22:55   #8
MrBest

Apparently I have a split pipe. When I asked specifically which 1 they didn't know. All I was told is they have to take inlet manifold off to get to it
Old May 16th, 2020, 00:01   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

At least they found what the issue is!