Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2003 HU 605 / Parrot lead

Views : 1956

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 21:18   #1
mykulh

Default S40 2003 HU 605 / Parrot lead

Hiya

I am hitting my head against a wall and need some advice if anyone can help.

I have a S40 Classic 2003 52 plate.
It has a HU-605 stereo than has an amp, well I guess it does, it has 2 DIN plugs at the back only one is in use, I unplugged that and lost my rear speakers. thought the other one could be for a CD Changer if I had one.

Anyway, I want to fit a Parrot kit but can't get the ISO/SOT lead to fit. Each time I have tried it seems they only do a amped lead for a new shape S40 or they do a lead for my one but not amped.

Can't believe I am the first person to do this or to replace the stereo on a 2003 S40 can anyone help? suggest the lead I need or where to go?

I did see the DIN to male plugs here but have no idea how that works.

http://www.incartunes.co.uk/pc9-414-...tor-1475-p.asp

I have tried Halfords/Local Volvo dealer/dealer I bought from/web.

Out of the two leads I have tried, the first connected but didn't cut out the rear speakers and the sound was awful, the seconded didn't even connect up.

Any help would be great as I am about to throw in the towel.

thanks
Mike
mykulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 23:26   #2
Dandle
Master Member

If your car was fitted with the 605 then I dont think it would have an external amp(i could be wrong though). The lead you want is probably this one http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/SOT-073.html do you have the same plugs as that picture?
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:40   #3
mykulh

Thanks for this, the ends do look like that but I also have a 2 DIN plugs on the back as well, I am guessing that one is for the amp and the other for CD Changer.
I'll have a look under the passenger seat to see if I can find the amp and also take a pic of the back of the stereo.

cheers
Mike
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 13:13   #4
S40_Paul
Master Member

That's the right colour scheme for Post 2000 headunit's. I had the 605 in mine and it took me chasing up local garages to find the right ISO. Halfords were still adamant that a Pre2000 one would work, and when it didnt they just went "oh ok".

Not sure on the parrot's bit but mine doesnt have an amp, I have an aftermarket headunit and I get sound out of both front and rear speaker setup's.

S40_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 14:17   #5
mykulh

Just had a look over lunch.
I have the 2 DIN plugs on the back, one is used, I did notice that there is another DIN plug folded back and a DIN plug in the boot so I guess that is the CD Changer if it was connected, and the one in use is the amp.
I disconnected the amp and only got sound from the front right top speaker, and a bad tinny sound at that so I guess that the speakers run off the amp so if I can find the cables out from the amp to the speakers and break in there I can wire the Parrot kit in there?
Strangely enough I have the green/grey plugs as well and so not sure what the speaker one does if the amp is driving all the speakers?

Does anyone else have a 2003 S40 with a stereo and a Volvo amp?

cheers
Mike
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 15:22   #6
S21GDK

Hi,
I've got a V40 with the external amp and a parrot. I fitted a aftermarket headunit at the same time as the parrot, but at the moment the Parrot sound only comes out of the dash speakers. I've been told that there is a cable to connect the amp so that the parrot works throught that but I'm now trying to find it!! Had the parrot for a year like this and its really hard to hear.
S21GDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 15:29   #7
Dandle
Master Member

Does that headunit have a mute input. If it does you could wire that into the parrot so it mutes the music but the phone will still come out of the front speakers(which is all it came out of on my car with the 905, non amped).
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 20:51   #8
mykulh

Thanks for the notes, glad to see I am not the only one who is trying to do this.
Having had a look at the unit I can not see a mute on it.
I think if I find the Amp and then see where the wires go from there, hopefully in to the speakers, I might be able to cut into them and join them up with a ISO type adapter that will then be able to join up with the Parrot.
By doing this the output should be amplified and that cut out should kill all speakers.
Of course this is a lot easier than it sounds, if it is possible at all.
I think a Haynes manual and a lot of thinking is going to be needed.
If it does work I'll take photos and post up the way I have done it.

cheers
Mike
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 10:37   #9
In-Car Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykulh View Post
Just had a look over lunch.
I have the 2 DIN plugs on the back, one is used, I did notice that there is another DIN plug folded back and a DIN plug in the boot so I guess that is the CD Changer if it was connected, and the one in use is the amp.
I disconnected the amp and only got sound from the front right top speaker, and a bad tinny sound at that so I guess that the speakers run off the amp so if I can find the cables out from the amp to the speakers and break in there I can wire the Parrot kit in there?
Strangely enough I have the green/grey plugs as well and so not sure what the speaker one does if the amp is driving all the speakers?

Does anyone else have a 2003 S40 with a stereo and a Volvo amp?

cheers
Mike
Dont know if this may help:
S40 Mar-06 > DOLBY SYSTEM & SUB SOT NOT AVAILABLE 06-904B
S40 Jun-04 > FLOATING DASH - NON AMPED SOT-048 06-048B
S40 Jun-04 > FLOATING DASH - AMPED SOT-045 06-045B
S40 Jun-00 Jun-04 WITHOUT DOLBY SYSTEM SOT-073 06-073B
S40 Jun-00 Jun-04 WITH DOLBY SYSTEM SOT-043 06-043B
S40 May-96 Jun-00 WITHOUT DOLBY SYSTEM SOT-084 06-084B
S40 May-96 Jun-00 DOLBY SYSTEM SOT NOT AVAILABLE 06-920B

SOT's supply ISO, 06-*** are telemute leads found on other types of handsfree like nokias etc.

they are all autoleads part numbers btw, connects2 also do "T" harnesses but i only have that in PDF.
In-Car Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 10:40   #10
anil_volvo_s40

Default Parrot and Volvo HU-655 Amplified systems

I got this too work...

But it took me some time to think how too..

I have a HU-655 stereo with the dolby amplified system.....

the amp is in the back boot....

So the only way to make this one work is to have the parrot speaker leads extended to go to the rear end of my car....... (best practice only extend 4 of the parrot speaker leads which equals it being connected to two speakers only and run the cable down the drivers side as the amp is stuck behind the carpet on top of the right back wheel....

Once you have got your wire to the rear your going to need to get the power sorted in the front.... what i did was used the parrot harness take out the RED, BLACK, YELLOW and ORANGE leads and created my pins for them.... i then inserted them to the back of my stereo plugs where there is a gap for each colour... they went in fine....

I powered up my car to test if parrot worked and it did.....

Now to get the correct speakers to work.... (ideally the from mids)

Going back into the car to rear end doing the same process for the power the GREEN Block that is connected to the amp is the leads that go to the speakers... u need to create a pin on the end of the speaker lead and insert this into 4 of the blocks....

test the parrot to check which speakers its coming from......

if fine then BOBS YOUR UNCLE!! your parrot is installed!!!
anil_volvo_s40 is offline   Reply With Quote