Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603178

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2023, 14:01   #2651
Pointer7

Yes it was, to be fair they have always been pretty good for me until that minor hiccup about the goodwill.
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 08:18   #2652
Lurpdog101

That’s great

I just got mine back yesterday evening. I’m happy and sad - in December I paid my local garage £1300 for a new EGR valve, because Volvo advised them that is what was needed when they researched in…..but not the EGR cooler…..that was done yesterday at Volvo on goodwill and they told me they had also replaced the EGR valve too because it had been clogged up again as when changed in December, the cooler had not been done same time…..so sad as £1300 spent, but then happy as had almost £2000 work done yesterday and for free, as initially they’d said the EGR cooler was on goodwill but seems they did the Valve and Cooler all under it - so am happy for that and fact that if the other was clogged already, would have caused issues down the line.

But, all done now yay!!!
Lurpdog101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 15:40   #2653
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpdog101 View Post
That’s great

I just got mine back yesterday evening. I’m happy and sad - in December I paid my local garage £1300 for a new EGR valve, because Volvo advised them that is what was needed when they researched in…..but not the EGR cooler…..that was done yesterday at Volvo on goodwill and they told me they had also replaced the EGR valve too because it had been clogged up again as when changed in December, the cooler had not been done same time…..so sad as £1300 spent, but then happy as had almost £2000 work done yesterday and for free, as initially they’d said the EGR cooler was on goodwill but seems they did the Valve and Cooler all under it - so am happy for that and fact that if the other was clogged already, would have caused issues down the line.

But, all done now yay!!!
Pleased you got sorted but it's nowhere near £2k worth of work is it?

The cooler is available between £500-£600 new...
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-part/1068532/

The valve is anywhere between £400 and £600 new...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284636417442
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...valve/1076620/

These are genuine Volvo branded part prices. If you buy the same parts from the actual manufacturer (who Volvo source them from) then they are nearly half that.

So parts £1k and half a day labour for a tech who knows his onions should see the cost top out at £1,300-£1,400 even at main dealer. Should be well under a grand at an Indy.
RDesign4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 18:35   #2654
Rivixter

Volvo have confirmed that they will replace the EGR Cooler and Intake Manifold at no cost to me.

Hurrah
Rivixter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rivixter For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 20:26   #2655
Lurpdog101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Pleased you got sorted but it's nowhere near £2k worth of work is it?

The cooler is available between £500-£600 new...
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-part/1068532/

The valve is anywhere between £400 and £600 new...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284636417442
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...valve/1076620/

These are genuine Volvo branded part prices. If you buy the same parts from the actual manufacturer (who Volvo source them from) then they are nearly half that

So parts £1k and half a day labour for a tech who knows his onions should see the cost top out at £1,300-£1,400 even at main dealer. Should be well under a grand at an Indy.

My Indy garage bought the part direct from Volvo and my bill just for the EGR valve replacement was £1300. Volvo had quoted £1800 but thinking that must have been with the cooler as well.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 11:50   #2656
Lurpdog101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivixter View Post
Volvo have confirmed that they will replace the EGR Cooler and Intake Manifold at no cost to me.

Hurrah
That’s great news! Congrats
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 08:01   #2657
gwiddecombe

Default P04D9 error code on D4

Hi, so we have just had the P04D9 (EGR) error code come up on our Volvo V40 D4 (2015 model) which has done £76k miles and has been through all the recalls that have come up. I was about to take it to a local (non volvo) garage and pay for it to be looked at but then spotted this thread. Is there anything I should be aware of please as noted previous members have talked about this being a manufacturing fault and volvo contributing towards fixing it?

Thanks, Graham
gwiddecombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 12:20   #2658
Rivixter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiddecombe View Post
Hi, so we have just had the P04D9 (EGR) error code come up on our Volvo V40 D4 (2015 model) which has done £76k miles and has been through all the recalls that have come up. I was about to take it to a local (non volvo) garage and pay for it to be looked at but then spotted this thread. Is there anything I should be aware of please as noted previous members have talked about this being a manufacturing fault and volvo contributing towards fixing it?

Thanks, Graham
Take it to Volvo, get it diagnosed by them. Then ask for a goodwill contribution. They seem to be covering anything relating that particular code.
Rivixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 21:41   #2659
Lurpdog101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiddecombe View Post

Thanks, Graham
And if your dealer refuses the goodwill initially, try Volvo head office and plead your case with them, it’s what I had to do but it worked.
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 18:47   #2660
gwiddecombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivixter View Post
Take it to Volvo, get it diagnosed by them. Then ask for a goodwill contribution. They seem to be covering anything relating that particular code.
Thanks I will take it in to them and get it diagnosed. Presumably they are going to charge £100+ though just to diagnose when I already know the fault code?
gwiddecombe is offline   Reply With Quote