Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop/Start not working

Views : 17905

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 21:32   #11
volvorocks
Rodney

Well I have charged the battery today simply by running it. A few miles driving and a few minutes idling, then a few repeats. Battery charging notice now gone and stop start is working as it should!

Probably battery was low as not been used that much, then when used the journeys have been so short so as not to put the charge back in the battery, let alone the charge that was used simply for starting the car to do the short journeys!!

A fair few miles are on the cards in the next couple of weeks though.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 15:05   #12
MattHarrison

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered but it driving me mad.

I have a 2013 D3 v40. Stop/start kept saying charging and would never work, after leaving the car for stand for a week it wouldn't start so I took the opportunity to replace the battery. 180 amp direct replacement fitted and the stop start worked for a short time.
It has since constantly reported battery charging, even after long motorway drives. I've had all the errors reset, and the alternator tested.
I have seen posts about a sec battery near the bumper, does anyone know about this? or any ideas what might be going on?
MattHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 15:16   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHarrison View Post
Hi,

I have a 2013 D3 v40. Stop/start kept saying charging and would never work, after leaving the car for stand for a week it wouldn't start so I took the opportunity to replace the battery. 180 amp direct replacement fitted and the stop start worked for a short time.
It has since constantly reported battery charging, even after long motorway drives. I've had all the errors reset, and the alternator tested.
I have seen posts about a sec battery near the bumper, does anyone know about this? or any ideas what might be going on?
you have the wrong battery I would say , the volvo stop/start one is 760A and AGM technology …
How much was your new battery?
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 16:20   #14
chrisfr

I dont use my car that frequently. When i first use it the stop start is discativated for usually the first day of use. The second day of use it will work. This is because of battery. I have never seen it deactivated due to regen yet. I have seen it deactivated due to the outside temp being too high.I have never seen it deactivated due to the outside temp being too low, although if i have my heated seats on, the battery will not charge as fast so ot will disactivate.
Tis a pain in the arse and I didnt even know i had it when i bought the car till the engine stopped and restarted, as it was not listed in the vehicle details at the dealer.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 18:48   #15
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
I didnt even know i had it when i bought the car till the engine stopped and restarted, as it was not listed in the vehicle details at the dealer.
Stop-start is standard on all models now as one component of achieving the 'economy and emissions' targets.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 19:41   #16
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHarrison View Post
Hi,

The bigger cars do have a second battery but not sure about the V40. Clan probably knows his way around most Volvos but, in general, you are probably better off posting in the v40 section for specific issues with your car or in the General Motoring and Volvo section for more generic stuff.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 09:24   #17
chrisfr

Crikey, ididnt know that! How long has that been for? Its funny as i tried other cars of the same age at uk dealers and i dont remember them having it on the senus menu or having an on off button on the console. Also when i registered the car in france there are two distinct models types listed for the same year , with or without start stop. Without was a 2300 euros eco tax and with was 700 euros eco tax. I was glad mine was the latter.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 18:40   #18
np1974np

Default stop start on xc70

I have xc70 (65 plate) and i use it about 3 -4 times a week, and lately, message came up saying "low battery", and then the stop start stopped working with a message in the LCD " battery charging or low ambient temperature of high altitude etc .. " I am at 40 metres above sea. I have taken the car for a 100 miles trip on motorway, hoping it would reset, however, I still have the same problem. the battery voltage without the engine running is 12.02 volts, and when the engine is running, it is 15.25 volts. The car seems to start first time. Can you please help me locate the batteries for further investigations . I have located the main battery which is in-front of the passanger side in the engine compartment. Where is the second one?
any help to reset the stop star problem would be appreciated.
np1974np is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 20:14   #19
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by np1974np View Post
I have xc70 (65 plate) ........ I have located the main battery which is in-front of the passanger side in the engine compartment. Where is the second one?
Have you got an owners manual? Page 376 in this pdf one for MY 15.5 (AT1446)
https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...95.pdf#page377

If you don't have one or your car is not MY 15.5 you can get the correct one here:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...46&tab=manuals

Last edited by 1monkey600; Nov 15th, 2018 at 20:18.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 21:29   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np1974np View Post
I have xc70 (65 plate) and i use it about 3 -4 times a week, and lately, message came up saying "low battery", and then the stop start stopped working with a message in the LCD " battery charging or low ambient temperature of high altitude etc .. " I am at 40 metres above sea. I have taken the car for a 100 miles trip on motorway, hoping it would reset, however, I still have the same problem. the battery voltage without the engine running is 12.02 volts, and when the engine is running, it is 15.25 volts. The car seems to start first time. Can you please help me locate the batteries for further investigations . I have located the main battery which is in-front of the passanger side in the engine compartment. Where is the second one?
any help to reset the stop star problem would be appreciated.

That might be all the problem is ,the battery state of charge low , You need to fully charge the battery first with a good external battery charger it might well take 24 hours so don't be afraid to leave it going . Driving the car is not the best way to charge the battery , there is not enough time available and once it gets to 80% it rapidly slows down ..
When you connect the charger, clip the red positive to the red positive tag on the battery and clip the black earth to the engine or a bolt on the body otherwise the cars battery monitor will not monitor the battery being charged . You don't need to worry about the secondary battery that takes care of itself and it always near fully charged , it is not monitored .
If you want to reset the stop start disconnect the battery completely when charging , clip the terminals direct to the battery then ..
The stop start defaults to always working when the battery monitor has lost its data , then gradually works out the true state of charge over night .