Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's best advice to remove fine swirls marks

Views : 1342

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2018, 17:50   #11
Markos01

Easiest solution is a good polish (I've ben using Poorboys Blackhole on dark cars) and then wax right after to seal the finish for around 3 months... I too use Collinite wax.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 08:04   #12
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Argos has a buffer for £24 Halfords similar handheld buffer £35
Any body used these are they any good

Regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:03   #13
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

I'm assuming that the car is fairly clean to start. If not, get it snow-foamed first.

Back to the polishing side of things as taught to me by a ChipsAway guy.

Depending on the colour of the car (only suitable on red, blue or black - dunno how red gets in there?) this is the prescribed way:

Many people use too much of the appropriate ingredients! Use things sparingly!

* A good wash with just three (yes, three) drops of washing up liquid to a full bucket of water. Washing up liquid has too many nasties in it. Rinse generously. Dry with good, clean microfibre cloth.

* For the above colour cars only, sparingly use Poorboys Black Hole Polish (available on evilbay) whilst wearing 'surgical gloves' (it stains skin!) and then buff up with a different good clean microfibre cloth. This polish sort of microscopically buffs and 'fills' very fine scratches. This is where the colour of the car comes into the equation. I suppose if one were to miss out this stage on other colours, a reasonable job can be done without this 'colour' bit.

* Protect the finish with "Natty's Paste" wax (also on evilbay) - again being sparing with the polish. Too many people think that using a lot of polish makes the finish better. Nope, it just makes the job harder.

* Finally a once over with Meggies QD.

The above would not be in the league of having a professional detailer do the job - they have more experience and better equipment and ingredients (expensive) - but it will make for a good looking car.

BTW... I await howls of protest from professionals etc., but this works for me on my dark blue car in a very effective manner!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.

Last edited by christheancient; Nov 12th, 2018 at 10:05.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:12   #14
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Hi all thanks for comments my car is white as I said I only notice it in direct sunlight or under led lighting
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 11:53   #15
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
Hi all thanks for comments my car is white as I said I only notice it in direct sunlight or under led lighting
Sorry, I missed that bit!

But apart from the "Black Hole" bit, everything else is doable on other colours.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 15:47   #16
Markos01

Poorboys do a white version too which I've heard good things about but not tried it myself.

Good comment above regarding AMOUNT of product... Do use 'just enough' rather than putting too much as too much can mean the product stays on the surface too thickly and 'buffing off' turns into 'smearing it around on the panel' which looks terrible when the light catches it... although I suspect on white cars this is much less noticeable
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 16:04   #17
Petey80
Premier Member

I've got the Argos Challenge DA and it works pretty well. Lots of good reviews on it.
The only issue is the short cable, which can be extended easily and the backing plate and sponge pad it comes with.

These can be upgraded to better items from any online detailing shop. 5" backing plate and Orange, Green and White Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads are what I bought.

Unless your car is single stage paint, the colour of it has nothing to do with which products are best as you're cleaning and correcting clear coat/laquer not paint.

Granted some products are designed for different colours, but this is generally so you can see them on the car and know where you've applied them and/or wiped them off.

There are numerous polishes and compounds and waxes. Ones that get mentioned a lot are;
Scholl S20, Meguiars 205/105/Ultimate Compound, Chemical Guys V range to name a few.

Some Volvo paint is quite hard, but you won't really know what compounds and pads will work best until you try.

You can do it by hand, but that is damn hard work and very time consuming.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 05:38   #18
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Thank to everyone for input certainly got some thinking to do

Regards
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 08:06   #19
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartm1962 View Post
Recommend Porboys also, no idea why it is called black hole, but used it on my blue C70,it took the swirl marks out. Definitely use sparingly, as a little goes a long way. Use a small amount of polish also, otherwise it's a pain to get off and as mentioned, leaves smears. You might have to do the black hole paste a couple of times, but it definitely works. If doing a bonnet, do one side and polish and compare it to the untouched side. There will be a huge difference.
https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/courier-for-alloys
Where do you buy this product ..all I want to do is remove fine swirls from my white car
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 08:32   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
Where do you buy this product ..all I want to do is remove fine swirls from my white car
+1 for Poorboys products. The black hole glaze for light coloured cars is White Diamond - it is a white creamy consistency and very good. After claying my cars I use a small amount of Farecla G10 polishing compound, followed by White Diamond and Poorboys Natty's paste. It gives good results on the Silver V40, Sky Blue C70 and Chilli Red Mini Cooper. All hand applied.

I'm not a fanatical car polisher, but do like a clean looking car and many folks comment on how clean my cars look, which is nice. I use the above regime once a year, with weekly washing in between for the V40 and Cooper.

ebay is your friend for purchase of the polishes etc.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: