Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Map madness - going round' twist.

Views : 1780

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2023, 15:36   #1
DaveYeaman
Dave Yeaman

Default Map madness - going round' twist.

Hi all, help a poor soul out before I go over the edge. I'm already on six grains of valium a day with this. V90 D5 Late 2019. Trying to install two maps that are too big to do over the air, so am having to revert to using USB stickage. I need to do France and Spain. Doing France first. Tried three different memory sticks - now on a brand new SanDisk 64Gb. App downloads the maps to the USB stick fine (a series of .zip files and a data file). I insert this in to the USB port I use for Apple CarPlay and on the display I get "Installing France" - it stays there forever. What trickery/witchcraft/war dance do I have to do to get this to work, or, does it just not work. So easy 'over the air', but Volvo won't let you remove installed maps, which is madness. Or, should I use AppleMaps via CarPlay (which would be a bit crap as I'd lose the step by step instructions on the centre display). Advice welcome. Beer/Whiskey more welcome.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 15:56   #2
Kugaman1

I guess the question is…..

Define waiting forever?

These maps take a LONG time to install.
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 15:57   #3
Fibrous

Hi, the Map updates can take a while, just leave the stick in and it will finish eventually.
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 15:57   #4
ccfcforever1987
VOC Member

Hi, have you tried downloading and installing the whole europe map? It is about 55-60GB so should fit on your new SanDisk stick.

Also, I found that the stick needs to be completely empty before downlading the map update to it, in order for the car to recognise it.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 15:59   #5
ccfcforever1987
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrous View Post
Hi, the Map updates can take a while, just leave the stick in and it will finish eventually.
As Fibrous says, the updates do take a while. I do the whole of europe map and that takes around 45 minutes to an hour to complete, before the car tells you to switch off and let it complete the update while the car is off.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 16:00   #6
DaveYeaman
Dave Yeaman

I do appreciate it would take a while as there's multiple gigs of data on the memory stick, all .zipped up, so they'd have to be copied somewhere then decompressed before it can do anything with them - but I'm talking hours - during which time, all I get is "Installing France" - should I expect a progress meter of some kind to give some feedback that it's doing something?
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 16:01   #7
ccfcforever1987
VOC Member

I think the map area on the Volvo UK wbsite is down because I tried to navigate to the maps page and it keeps timing out.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 16:03   #8
DaveYeaman
Dave Yeaman

I've been downloading directly to the USB sticks by using the apps. Think I've done this about four times now. Something ain't right.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 16:04   #9
ccfcforever1987
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveYeaman View Post
I do appreciate it would take a while as there's multiple gigs of data on the memory stick, all .zipped up, so they'd have to be copied somewhere then decompressed before it can do anything with them - but I'm talking hours - during which time, all I get is "Installing France" - should I expect a progress meter of some kind to give some feedback that it's doing something?
It should tell you the percentage progress in the top left (i think) of the screen.

If it isn't doing that then its not actually started the installation yet. Perhaps try formating the stick to remove everything and downloading the file again.

Have you downloaded both the France and Spain maps to the same stick? That may be confusing the Sensus system.
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 16:18   #10
Fibrous

When you say hours how many hours of driving are we talking here?
Might be wrong but I can't recall any progress info showing whilst updating via USB stick, OTA does.

Last edited by Fibrous; Apr 24th, 2023 at 16:22.
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote