Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nice brief mention

Views : 1836

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2014, 14:12   #11
PipPip

Interesting that the new D4 engine seems to deliver exactly the same real world MPG as the old D4 engine - our 3 month old D4 AWD (old engine) is averaging pretty much bang on 40mpg now.
PipPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 17:17   #12
Bongobobby

It will be interesting to see the effect on fuel consumption once the engines get a few thousand miles under the bonnet. The fuel economy on my last car which had a 2.0 VW TSI 200ps engine got more and more economical as my mileage rose. By the time I traded it in it returned 40 mpg on a run and about 34-35 mpg on a whole tank. I think it benefitted from being excercised throughout the rev range too.
Bongobobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 09:51   #13
andymcp
Premier Member

Well mine is at just under 14k on the clock now. Had a series of trips at the end of last week between Glasgow and North Yorkshire. According to the on call app, one of this 100 mile sections came in at 67.2mpg, as near as makes no difference the same as the claimed combined mpg. That was a mix of motorway, A-road and 20mins of town driving at the end. Why on earth it should be so good on a wet windy run I've no idea, but the other sections of the trip came in at 55mpg, 58mpg and 64mpg so there must be something decent going on.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 10:35   #14
Skippyuk

How accurate though do we think the cars trip computer is?

Really the best accurate way to compare is to fill the car and reset the trip computer, then drive a return journey and refill the car straight away again.

Using the total litres used to refill the car and the distance driven will let you calculate an accurate MPG and compare that to the trip computers figures.

Would be interesting
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 13:00   #15
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyuk View Post
Using the total litres used to refill the car and the distance driven will let you calculate an accurate MPG and compare that to the trip computers figures.
That is essentially what Fuelly does. Apps for all main phones. When you fill up, take a minute to note the miles since last fill, price per litre and total litres put in, and it does it all for you.
That is what is showing in andymcp's signature!

As to how accurate the onboard computer is: mine looks very close, I think others have said the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 13:33   #16
K5 Gus

Is the fuelly signature supposed to pull the info from the website ?

In andymcp's sig it says 22 fill ups and average 51.8 mpg, but if you click on the signature and go the website it says 22 fill ups and 43.1 mpg average.

I must be misunderstanding something I guess !
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 13:40   #17
K5 Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Is the fuelly signature supposed to pull the info from the website ?

In andymcp's sig it says 22 fill ups and average 51.8 mpg, but if you click on the signature and go the website it says 22 fill ups and 43.1 mpg average.

I must be misunderstanding something I guess !
Doh, ignore me !

I was in US units on the website, not UK units.
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 14:06   #18
Skippyuk

Never noticed Andy's signature.

I will be giving that a go.

It's good as a comparison against the trip computer in the car I think.

Thanks I will give that a try 👍👍
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 14:11   #19
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyuk View Post
How accurate though do we think the cars trip computer is?
I don't use the trip computer at all. I have VOC and so I get a report on each trip from the app, and to get an idea of accuracy vs measuring brim-to-brim the app allows you to group the individual journeys together that make up total distance for that tank. I've done that for the last few fill-ups and it's usually between 0.5 and 1mpg of the Fuelly numbers. I had identical stops in the journey, with the journey there being wet for stage 1, dry for stage 2 and colder than the return which was dry all the way for both stages. Traffic was worse on the way back, thanks to half term volume.

According to app the numbers were:

Stage 1 heading south, 55.3mpg. Stage 2 heading south, 67.2mpg.
Stage 1 heading north, 58.8mpg. Stage 2 heading north, 64.1mpg.

Just realised that doesn't read properly - stage 1 heading north is the same stretch of road as stage 2 heading south, if you see what I mean?

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 15:17   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongobobby View Post
It will be interesting to see the effect on fuel consumption once the engines get a few thousand miles under the bonnet. The fuel economy on my last car which had a 2.0 VW TSI 200ps engine got more and more economical as my mileage rose. By the time I traded it in it returned 40 mpg on a run and about 34-35 mpg on a whole tank. I think it benefitted from being excercised throughout the rev range too.
Mileage makes a big difference, more the better, so does the external air temperature. Colder it is the worse it gets.

The D5 Euro 3 in my XC90 AWD geartronic regularly returns 40 mpg in the summer with 75k on the clock. Much better than when I first had it. The same engine in my V70 auto returns 63 mpg with 200k on the clock.

I'd say wait until you get 10 to 15k before worrying about the mpg too much. Keep posting though it'll encourage me, I've got a long way to go yet with the new one.