Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D2 Powershift Auto start/stop not working

Views : 15537

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2014, 12:55   #71
ofrex

Default Volvo incompetent

Hi.

Since my last posting, the stop start system has 'sort of behaved'. The only reason why this is, is due to the temperature not falling below 10C during the summer. I suggest that others who were experiencing this problem may well find it returns, now that night time temperatures are falling to the point where the electric windscreen demisting heater switches on during the night and discharges the main battery.

When I said 'sort of behaved' I meant that it is still doing strange things. When the engine is stopped, it can restart, by itself, after 15 sec to a maximum of 3 minutes. There is no pattern it can be at any time, warm day, only lights, perhaps AC, and radio. The secondary battery (70Ah) should be capable of running these services for far longer than 3 minutes. If the services are drawing a total of 30 amps, and I don't suppose they are, then a 70 AH battery should be capable of providing 30A for more than an hour. I appreciate this may not be totally accurate, but it does highlight that there is something very wrong if 3 minutes is the maximum time before the engine restarts automatically.

No doubt you will be aware that the software upgrade to resolve this problem was promised in week 40 i.e. this Monday the 29 of Sept! Volvo UK Customer Relations informed on the 24th Sept that this has been delayed and they can't say when it will be released.

They also say that The Stop/Start problem is not just linked to the PTC heater, and this is a global issue. Cars in Sweden are affected the same as cars in UK are. Swedish cars do not have a different set up / configuration. All areas of factory are therefore working together to highlight which systems/features contribute towards this demand on battery and what can be done to improve this. PTC is by no means only system/feature that is being investigated, but one of many. The factory want to be absolutely confident that the software is fully operational and functional before it is released

Strikes me that they have had at least SEVEN months to sort this and have failed. More importantly they should have made absolutely certain that the software was "fully operational and functional" before they released the car for sale.

Volvo have been aware of the malfunction for a at least a year and yet are unable to resolve it and I'm beginning to wonder if they can.

If the heat provided by the PTC heater is to be available, when the ambient temperature demands it, to effectively remove windscreen condensation and it is to achieve this prior to the diesel engine attaining sufficient temperature, it cannot do so without taking power from the main battery. Under normal operating conditions this drain has been proved to be sufficient to cause the Start/Stop system to malfunction. There is no way to square this, the heater requires energy and the only source is the battery. Taking power from the battery, for hours on end, will leave it depleted and will cause the Stop/Start system to malfunction.

Can you think how this can be resolved, because I can't. They could disable the Stop Start system, but that would impact on the case put forward by Volvo regarding the 114g/km and MPG figures for the vehicles and that may well have an impact on their tax band.

I have now concluded that Volvo Cars UK don't actually take responsibility for problems. They push them onto their dealers, or convey them to the Volvo Car Corporation in Sweden, who incidentally you can't email. I was informed that "feedback is reviewed internally, in due course, but you will not receive any follow-up or feedback from the factory" or Volvo UK. I must admit I read this as, were're not really interested, go away we already have your money. They may have, but with customer service like this, they won't be getting any more.

Perhaps if more were to email Nick Connor, the Managing Director, at VCUKMD@volvocars.com they might take more notice.

Last edited by ofrex; Sep 27th, 2014 at 13:00.
ofrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2014, 15:20   #72
MCV60
Master Member

When my start/stop wasn't engaging. The dealer told me the reason was due to a loose earth conection and software update was also included as part of the fix, due to the stereo/centre console was controls were intermittently freezing. Had no problem since.
Yes, when the engine stops, it does restart occasionly on its own accord. I have put this down to constant drain, like AC, USB phone charging and sat Nav, plus headlight ect. No biggie! Just happy that the start / stop now engages when coming to a halt at junctions.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2014, 20:05   #73
ofrex

Hi MCV60.

I really do hope you are right and that you have no more problems with Stop Start.

I note you were getting incorrect advice re the aux battery from you dealer, which would not fill me with confidence, and that you were having problems with the SS in March this year. Since then the temperature has been above 10C and therefore the PTC heater will not have been activated and the main battery will not have been discharged.

We will all see what happens now that temperatures are starting to fall. Volvo admit there is a Global problem and that so far they have failed to rectify it.

Therefore I cannot see, miracles accepted, if nothing has been done to rectify the underlying problem, how anyone with a SS problem last winter will not have it return this year.

I must admit that I have lost confidence in Volvo's ability to come up with a fix, software or otherwise.

Good luck Noel
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 09:36   #74
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrex View Post
Hi MCV60.

I really do hope you are right and that you have no more problems with Stop Start.

I note you were getting incorrect advice re the aux battery from you dealer, which would not fill me with confidence, and that you were having problems with the SS in March this year. Since then the temperature has been above 10C and therefore the PTC heater will not have been activated and the main battery will not have been discharged.

We will all see what happens now that temperatures are starting to fall. Volvo admit there is a Global problem and that so far they have failed to rectify it.

Therefore I cannot see, miracles accepted, if nothing has been done to rectify the underlying problem, how anyone with a SS problem last winter will not have it return this year.

I must admit that I have lost confidence in Volvo's ability to come up with a fix, software or otherwise.

Good luck Noel
Update. I've had a week of early starts, outside temp below 10degrees. After about 2miles drive the S/S still engaging whilst sat at the traffic lights. I noticed on one occasion, when I had to stop at some roadworks literally round the corner from leaving home, S/S engaged but it was literally for 30seconds before the engine restarted automatically. So 'touch wood' no issues and fully operational.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 13:30   #75
Mike 700
Premier Member

Cool

Just for info, I have now done some 7000 miles in mine, and being lazy I , like most, held the car in gear with foot on brake, at traffic lights etc., and I found that after x seconds, the engine automatically started.

Now, i sit at the lights with car in 'park' & foot well away from foot brake and it only starts when I engage drive, no matter how long I sit there.

I switch mine on & off regularly, and so far no problems .
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 12:00   #76
ofrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
Update. I've had a week of early starts, outside temp below 10degrees. After about 2miles drive the S/S still engaging whilst sat at the traffic lights. I noticed on one occasion, when I had to stop at some roadworks literally round the corner from leaving home, S/S engaged but it was literally for 30seconds before the engine restarted automatically. So 'touch wood' no issues and fully operational.
Sounds good so far, but as Volvo have admitted there's a 'global' problem, "the Stop/Start problem is not just linked to the PTC heater, this is a global issue" I therefore doubt we are out of the woods yet.

The electric heater is a PTC type, that means it reduces the current it draws as it heat up. How long it will be before the problem represents itself will depend on the number of <10C nights, versus the amount of charging the main battery receives and this will depend on distance and driving style . It is quite possible that the discharge and recharge are currently balanced. I suppose only time will tell.

Volvo have also stated that "Once the issue has been fully resolved, we will be able to review your specific case in respect of offering a goodwill gesture to acknowledge both your patience whilst this matter is resolved, and the inconvenience and disappointment caused". Did I say that a couple of days after purchase the engine stopped and would not restart, this was whilst trying to leave Brighton's new ground, along with 27,000 other supporters. So I think we can add embarrassment to their list.

We will see how much they eventually offer.

Good luck Noel
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 12:31   #77
ofrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
Just for info, I have now done some 7000 miles in mine, and being lazy I , like most, held the car in gear with foot on brake, at traffic lights etc., and I found that after x seconds, the engine automatically started.

Now, i sit at the lights with car in 'park' & foot well away from foot brake and it only starts when I engage drive, no matter how long I sit there.

I switch mine on & off regularly, and so far no problems .
I think I do much the same as you. If the engine restarts I slip out of D and then re-engage it only when ready to move off. I do this mainly because I'm reasonable mechanically minded and I wonder what's happening when we sit with the engine running, D selected and the brakes on.

The gearbox has two clutches. When stationary 1st gear is selected one clutch is 'disengaged'and the other partially engaged. If the brakes are released, my car will crepe on tick-over. Therefore my mental picture is that one clutch is 'dragging'. 'Similar' to a manual gearbox in 1st, brakes on and the clutch partially engaged. If this is happening in the D2, it must adversely affect the rate of clutch wear. How much are the plates etc. to replace?

Cheers Noel

PS How long do you have to be a member, before you are no longer considered to be a 'New Member'?
The Following User Says Thank You to ofrex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 14:24   #78
Mike 700
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrex View Post
I think I do much the same as you. If the engine restarts I slip out of D and then re-engage it only when ready to move off. I do this mainly because I'm reasonable mechanically minded and I wonder what's happening when we sit with the engine running, D selected and the brakes on.

The gearbox has two clutches. When stationary 1st gear is selected one clutch is 'disengaged'and the other partially engaged. If the brakes are released, my car will crepe on tick-over. Therefore my mental picture is that one clutch is 'dragging'. 'Similar' to a manual gearbox in 1st, brakes on and the clutch partially engaged. If this is happening in the D2, it must adversely affect the rate of clutch wear. How much are the plates etc. to replace?

Cheers Noel

PS How long do you have to be a member, before you are no longer considered to be a 'New Member'?
The Powershift sound etc, does remind me a bit of a manual box when in full auto mode, but funnily enough , not when I use the paddles ( excellent option ), and after 170,000 ish miles with geartronic, I do prefer geartronic, especially with sport mode.

I have wondered about clutch wear/cost also, but it must be cheaper than replacing a torque converter ?

It's not a time thing, to upgrade to Super Dupa Big Daddy member or similar, you'll need to keep posting - the more you post ( get involved) the higher up the membership scale you'll go.

Regards.
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote