Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Connected Touch

Views : 2885

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2014, 18:56   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

If this is for a Lexar 256gb 600x professional card then I would buy 2 or 3 as that is a very good price.

If it is for a SD card with updated maps then that would be a going rate it yay Volvo and others were charging until this year when they changed to free updates
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 20:09   #12
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
If this is for a Lexar 256gb 600x professional card then I would buy 2 or 3 as that is a very good price.

If it is for a SD card with updated maps then that would be a going rate it yay Volvo and others were charging until this year when they changed to free updates
Talking about free updates, are we due one come November?

tem.
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 12:51   #13
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
If it is a new MY15 vehicle it will have Sensus Connect.

It isn't possible to combine Sensus Connect and Sensus Touch as the interface on the Connect System is totally different to the older Sensus systems....

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...ent/VCC-472288
I take it that means you lose Sensus Connect when you opt for a Sensus Connect Touch upgrade.

The SCT has a range of sat nav app options anyway. There is a web site specifically for the unit with apps to download

I thought you had to have a 7" screen to upgrade but looking at the info on the link that seems not to be the case.

It says it's not activated while driving but I assume you can still use navigation apps or that would make no sense?

I did consider if for the TomTom app but that didn't have HD traffic with it so dismissed it for the present.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Oct 18th, 2014 at 12:57.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 14:04   #14
Westyman
VOC Member

I find the whole Sensus/Sensus Connect/Sensus Connect Touch things totally confusing.

To restate, my 2014MY car should have come with "Sensus" and the non-optional Nav ( as it happens I didn't want that but there was no choice for the spec of car I was ordering). When it was imported, my dealer said that Volvo had "forgot" to,fit the Nav but for no cost, I could have the dealer fit Sensus Connected Touch with Nav. I wasn't too bothered about having this but the dealer persuaded me it was a good deal and at the time I was sitting in the sunshine have coffee at Kedleston Hall and I think he got me at a weak moment!

The SCT with Nav is a Parrot device ( and I have to use the Parrot website for system updates done via a USB stick drive) and the navigation is an iGo branded one and resides on a SD card in the extra box that sits inside the glove box. Input to the navigation system is via a 7" touch screen that was part of the dealer fit replacing the 5" screen that the car came into UK with.

Of all the features on SCT with Nav the only thing I use is the Nav, the rest is of no interest to me. The reversing camera also feeds to the 7" screen.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 14:13   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I take it that means you lose Sensus Connect when you opt for a Sensus Connect Touch upgrade.

The SCT has a range of sat nav app options anyway. There is a web site specifically for the unit with apps to download

I thought you had to have a 7" screen to upgrade but looking at the info on the link that seems not to be the case.

It says it's not activated while driving but I assume you can still use navigation apps or that would make no sense?

I did consider if for the TomTom app but that didn't have HD traffic with it so dismissed it for the present.
No , if you already have senus connect you dont need sensus connect Touch and it wont fit anyway as it is for the previous generation sensus .

Regarding upgrade, if you have a model 14.5 with sensus connect ( built from 2013 week 46 to 2014 week 19 ) you can get a software upgrade which adds the feautures which model year 2015 have .However as this adds functions you will have to pay for it .
you get a few bug fixes , wi-fi connection , some applications , service booking and repair bookings can be made from the car .

There is also another software out to add the above and also navigation

The cars with sensus connect made since the middle of this year which don't have navigation have the NAV button but no NAV of course , but when you press the button you get a message saying that it can be purchased and activated .
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 14:21   #16
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Sensus can be dealer upgraded to Sensus Touch and is for MY14 or earlier, Sensus Connect is the standard nav system from MY14.5 and that can be dealer upgraded to Sensus Connect Touch by replacing the head unit.

The subtle difference is in the word Connect that appears week 46 of 2013

If you have factory upgraded the my14.5 or later car to a 7" screen then the dealer can activate the Sensus Connect nav for around £750

NB - pre 2011 the cars were fitted with MMM2 which cannot be upgraded, swapped or anything - but can have new maps for £30, Sensus you need to buy from Volvo at around £250, Sensus Connect are free updates applied via USB and Sensus Connected Touch come from igo. There is a post here suggesting that the updates for this are ~£250

Last edited by wimorrison; Oct 18th, 2014 at 14:26.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 16:48   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No , if you already have senus connect you dont need sensus connect Touch and it wont fit anyway as it is for the previous generation sensus .

Regarding upgrade, if you have a model 14.5 with sensus connect ( built from 2013 week 46 to 2014 week 19 ) you can get a software upgrade which adds the feautures which model year 2015 have .However as this adds functions you will have to pay for it .
you get a few bug fixes , wi-fi connection , some applications , service booking and repair bookings can be made from the car .

There is also another software out to add the above and also navigation

The cars with sensus connect made since the middle of this year which don't have navigation have the NAV button but no NAV of course , but when you press the button you get a message saying that it can be purchased and activated .
Hi Clan, I'm getting a bit confused here. I have a 2015 D5 SE Lux model (according to My Volvo and the paperwork) There was no alternative to avoid having sat nav (part of the standard spec) and the infotainment level 4 premium sound option that Volvo says you need automatically has Sensus connect with it, yet the info says that it can't be combined. there are no models with the D5 engine that don't have sat nav as standard.

Does that mean it replaces Sensus Connect so it can no longer be used or that it can't be fitted if Sensus Connect is fitted? That would mean that no 2015 model with the infotainment level 4 premium sound option can have it so why say one of the conditions for getting it is to have the infotainment level 4 premium sound option? Is that what "Not suitable for cars with Infotainment level 3 or Infotainment level 4 from and including Ch 559323-." means?

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Oct 18th, 2014 at 16:56.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 17:03   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Sensus can be dealer upgraded to Sensus Touch and is for MY14 or earlier, Sensus Connect is the standard nav system from MY14.5 and that can be dealer upgraded to Sensus Connect Touch by replacing the head unit.

The subtle difference is in the word Connect that appears week 46 of 2013

If you have factory upgraded the my14.5 or later car to a 7" screen then the dealer can activate the Sensus Connect nav for around £750

NB - pre 2011 the cars were fitted with MMM2 which cannot be upgraded, swapped or anything - but can have new maps for £30, Sensus you need to buy from Volvo at around £250, Sensus Connect are free updates applied via USB and Sensus Connected Touch come from igo. There is a post here suggesting that the updates for this are ~£250
I think what you mean is :
"Sensus can be dealer upgraded to Sensus Connected Touch"

and

"Sensus Connect is the standard nav system from MY14.5 and that can be dealer upgraded to Sensus Connect Touch by replacing the head unit."

sensus connected touch is not compatible with the current sensus connect , most of the new cars coming through are ordered with senus connect , there are no touch screens now besides that offered in sensus connected touch for the old basic sensus ...

It is a minefield ,they have made it so complex , you have to have the right level audio sytem and may have to change from 5" to 7" screen , there is a chassis number involved , every year they have dabbled with sensus and each is a bit different . More changes on the way with the new xc90 and onwards models !
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 17:12   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Hi Clan, I'm getting a bit confused here. I have a 2015 D5 SE Lux model (according to My Volvo and the paperwork) There was no alternative to avoid having sat nav (part of the standard spec) and the infotainment level 4 premium sound option that Volvo says you need automatically has Sensus connect with it, yet the info says that it can't be combined. there are no models with the D5 engine that don't have sat nav as standard.

Does that mean it replaces Sensus Connect so it can no longer be used or that it can't be fitted if Sensus Connect is fitted? That would mean that no 2015 model with the infotainment level 4 premium sound option can have it so why say one of the conditions for getting it is to have the infotainment level 4 premium sound option? Is that what "Not suitable for cars with Infotainment level 3 or Infotainment level 4 from and including Ch 559323-." means?
Yes it can be confusing ! from what you say though , you have everything ,
premium sound , sensus connect with Navigation and wi-fi ... have you found the wi-fi in the menu and connected it to a wi-fi wireless router , the one you might have at home ?

If you are asking about the sensus connected touch , you cannot have this when the car comes with sensus connect .
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 17:19   #20
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

dealers could upgrade Sensus to Sensus Touch, though the upgrade may have been discontinued - it was an infrared screen that went over Sensus allowing you to "touch" control the interface - though as it wasn't really touch it was awful.

You cannot upgrade Sensus Nav to Sensus Connect Nav as the hardware and software isn't present in the car.

Essentially if your car is post week 46. 2012 then you have Sensus Connect - either with a 7" or 5" screen, if you want the Nav then you need a 7" screen and you can either have Sensus Connect Nav (from Volvo) or Sensus Connect Touch ( Volvo badged Parrot).

If you have a 5" screen and want Nav then you are in for a significant expense and I think it has to be Sensus Connect Touch