Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nitrogen

Views : 1483

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2014, 13:42   #11
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

when the tyres do go down a bit as they will, what does the customer do - put air in. Pointless
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 17:24   #12
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
when the tyres do go down a bit as they will, what does the customer do - put air in. Pointless
I should perhaps be clearer - AFAIK, Costco don't charge for the nitrogen air, it is just advertised as a benefit (or was earlier this year)....and with our SMax, it certainly appears that they have stayed inflated well!!
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 13:25   #13
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
That's the thing, they don't go down a bit.

I have not used it in my car tyres but I have it in my motorbike tyres. With air the bike tyres need constant adjustment through the seasons, with Nitrogen they stay as they were.

The biggest risk is losing Nitrogen out of the tyre when using a tyre pressure gauge to measure the pressure.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 13:31   #14
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
That's the thing, they don't go down a bit.

I have not used it in my car tyres but I have it in my motorbike tyres. With air the bike tyres need constant adjustment through the seasons, with Nitrogen they stay as they were.

The biggest risk is losing Nitrogen out of the tyre when using a tyre pressure gauge to measure the pressure.
Does one get a true pressure reading when using 100% nitrogen ?

tem.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 13:38   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

Dunno, my pressure gauge doesn't have an air or Nitrogen switch option, it measures pressure. It doesn't seem to upset the handling of the bike.

The new tyres, Michelin Pilot Power 3, are fantastic.

Old Oct 16th, 2014, 19:55   #16
aew003

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Does one get a true pressure reading when using 100% nitrogen ?

tem.
Makes no difference. Pressure is pressure irrespective if it's air, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, oxygen or any other gas.

aew003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 20:44   #17
tem
Premier Member

http://www.barrystiretech.com/nitrogeninflation.html

Worth a read.

tem.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 21:04   #18
zaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aew003 View Post
Makes no difference. Pressure is pressure irrespective if it's air, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, oxygen or any other gas.
Talking of pressure is the recomended psi 39 on 235 18s ?
zaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 06:42   #19
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I read that, the first thing that struck me was the temperature range he quotes 90F to 0F. My bike is garaged, the tyres may cool to 10C (50F) and in summer may sit at 20C (70F) which would make a 2PSI difference (according to the link). After a few miles on the road the additional drag caused by the lower pressure would generate extra heat which would cause expansion in the tyre so I can't help feel the difference would be less than noticeable.

Who leaves their tyres for a year then jumps in the car or on their bike and just drives/rides off? If you park your car up for a year at a time then Nitrogen probably is not for you and I suspect you'll have bigger issues than worrying about a few PSI drop in your tyre pressures.

How many people have done an experiment in a lab to be told at the end this is what the result should have been? Other factors have caused a deviation which could not be explained. The theory is one thing the reality is another.

It could be I see little variation as my bike only weighs 190kgs (fully fueled) total spread over two wheels. My S60 (empty) may place around 500-550kgs through one tyre at the front with the weight of the engine leaving around 300kgs per rear tyre.

I can only say what I have found in ten years with our two bikes and that is using Nitrogen vs air the Nitrogen filled tyres do not require the adjustments I have to make using air. Of course everyone else may find different results depending on their driving requirements.

Last edited by GMcL; Oct 17th, 2014 at 06:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: