Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo on call

Views : 2076

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2014, 17:44   #1
Jonsut1

Default Volvo on call

Does anybody have Volvo on call, if so can I ask something. I have a 3G Dongle from Vodafone, do I put the SD card in the socket in the dashboard or put the SD card in the dongle and insert it in the USB port in the centre console?
Jonsut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 17:48   #2
andymcp
Premier Member

SD card? You mean SIM card?

A VOC-equipped car has a 3G modem housed in the glove box. Take the SIM from your dongle (it needs to be a full-size SIM card) and then pull out the SIM tray in the glove-box modem (it's a large grip, not a fiddly tray like on your phone). Insert the SIM card, put the tray back into the modem and fire up the car. Pop into Internet Settings in the My Car menu and make sure it knows to use the in-car modem for connecting, and you should be good to go.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 21:06   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsut1 View Post
Does anybody have Volvo on call, if so can I ask something. I have a 3G Dongle from Vodafone, do I put the SD card in the socket in the dashboard or put the SD card in the dongle and insert it in the USB port in the centre console?
ON CALL has it's own built in SIM ... what are you trying to achieve by the way? Have you tested it by pressing ON CALL for 2 seconds , you will then be able to speak to the control centre , Don't Press the SOS button unless it is a real emergency though !
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 21:16   #4
gbwarrior

I assume he's trying to put a SIM card in so the Sensus connect can connect to the web or so the in car WiFi works. That's the only reason you need to add your own data SIM.

2014 (MY15) Volvo S60 D4 (VEA) 181bhp R-Design Lux Nav, Manual, Rebel Blue, BLIS, Full Leather, Premium Sound, Volvo On Call, Front and Rear Park Assist, Winter Pack With Active Bending Lights
gbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 21:23   #5
gbwarrior

Further to this I can't believe how well the car holds signal when using a data SIM in the glovebox slot. I've done quite a few long motorway journeys now and only had a couple of short dropouts when using Rdio or Tunein. Very pleased I added Volvo On Call now (so the SIM card slot is there).

I've been using three data SIMs bought of ebay, just on my second one now, got through 900mb data last month so it expired before I could use all the data. I would consider my usage heavy aswell, been using Rdio and Tunein lots.

It would be interesting to hear how people are getting on plugging dongles in for Sensus Connect.

2014 (MY15) Volvo S60 D4 (VEA) 181bhp R-Design Lux Nav, Manual, Rebel Blue, BLIS, Full Leather, Premium Sound, Volvo On Call, Front and Rear Park Assist, Winter Pack With Active Bending Lights
gbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gbwarrior For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 09:13   #6
gavc_uk

I don't really understand this use of VOC.

Is it not much better to use the connection on your mobile? Having an extra SIM card to pay a subscription for seems an unnecessary expense.

Also, my user experience of the apps on sensus connect is that it stinks. It's excruciatingly slow to load versus using a TuneIn, Rdio, Spotify, Deezer app that would be running on my phone.

I could be missing something here but to me the sensus apps are poor.
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 10:24   #7
Flux
Premier Member

I don't have VOC.

Purely from an 'internet connected' point of view, I think a tethered smartphone would suffice.

I tether my phone most days and the internet connection via Wifi is fine and quick to connect on start up (much better since they added the Wifi functionality option in addition to bluetooth to existing MY14.5 cars in July/August). I use streaming for Spotify and the 'send to car' for destinations for Nav but apart from that don't use any of the other App's

Yes, some of the the App's do appear a bit slow to load even with 4G but not sure if the hardware/software capabilities of sensus makes any difference if you have 3G or 4G.

I have a 2GB data allowance on 4G so must admit that if I had an additional SIM card just to get access to the internet (with VOC), this would be a bit of a waste of money. I never use my data allowance and still have at least 1GB data left every month yet my phone is always connected to the internet when out and about and also use it for other applications when not in the car. Will also be able to use the tethering function on my smartphone for kids when they are in the car using tablets/Netflix etc which doesn't affect the functionality of sensus connect.

VOC appears to have some good additional features over and above the internet connectivity bit but can't comment on these as I don't have...............and what you don't have.............

Last edited by Flux; Oct 17th, 2014 at 11:28.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 11:30   #8
gavc_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I don't have VOC.

I use streaming for Spotify and the 'send to car' for destinations for Nav but apart from that don't use any of the other App's
How do you use Send to Car? From what I can tell you can only do it from a desktop browser rather than from a mobile unless you have VOC.
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 11:38   #9
Flux
Premier Member

Yes, think you're correct on that.

I have only ever sent destinations from here.com from my PC to my car. Don't believe you can currently do any other way unless you have VOC with the special APP that comes with it.

Have you linked your car to 'my volvo' via sensus connect? You need to do this first.

If you have done this then you need to register with here.com and add your car details. This will link via the Volvo servers and send a postcode direct to your car. When you then connect to the internet in your car via the App's button, the postcode will appear under the 'send to car' function.

This is one of the applications that actually works fine for me and works first time on every occasions.