Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 windscreen washers not working

Views : 13678

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 23:59   #11
nsj54

i have a 53 plate v70 with washer not working ,my washer fill cap is on the drivers side but all discussions are about n/s wheel arch i don't understand it should be o/s surely
nsj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 13:18   #12
griston64
Premier Member

This section is 07 onward
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 16:10   #13
chrisf
Chrisf

Default Dribbly screenwash

I struggled to find much help on this topic for my 2012 V70 but the solution was actually quite easy - rear wash was good, headlamp was good but just a feeble dribble onto the windscreen, barely reached the glass.
Turned out to be what I think afre non-return connectors under the jets... a T piece and an L piece - cost me less than a fiver for pattern replacement parts and they work perfectly, problem fixed with just a few minutes work. The only difficult part was getting the hard plastic hose off the T piece but I softened the plastic with a lick from a ciggy lighter and it then came of easily enough.
Hope that's of use to someone anyway.
chrisf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 14:39   #14
shaunrm

Default Getting the hoses off

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
Update on this.

Now I tried to pull the pipe off the grey section of the pump...

However, it looks like these pipes are fused on somehow and won't just pull off?
I know this is old, but, for anyone else trying to remove these hoses...

That aren't fused on.
It's no good trying to pull the hose off, because the hose just gets stretched length ways which helps it to hold on tighter.

You have to put a screwdriver at the end (or under the end) and push or lever it off. It's a doddle then.
shaunrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 16:09   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Its also worth noting for others that come across this issue that there's a gauze that blocks up, which can lead to poor flow from the washer nozzles. Take it off and give it a good clean, or replace it. Try not to use too rich of a concentration of screen wash and it should be fine.

The gauze, from memory, is at the front of the washer reservoir (so the side nearest the front bumper).
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 13:41   #16
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It also matters which screen wash additive you use. Cheap additives containing detergents can allow bacterial breeding which creates gloop. Alcohol rich additives like Volvo's own will kill bacteria in the wash fluid and improve flow. They do make it smell like you have been holding a vodka tasting in the car when you use the washers but they do keep the up flow rate.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 16:29   #17
jasons6930

Yep, just had this exact problem however i took it to local garage to do as i am too old to be rolling around on the floor under the car.

They pulled off the lower front cover under the bumper, drained the tank and washed it through. works a treat now!
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 17:08   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
It also matters which screen wash additive you use. Cheap additives containing detergents can allow bacterial breeding which creates gloop. Alcohol rich additives like Volvo's own will kill bacteria in the wash fluid and improve flow. They do make it smell like you have been holding a vodka tasting in the car when you use the washers but they do keep the up flow rate.
Yes, quality matters, but the concentration does too. Some people put far too much screen wash in the reservoir. More isn't better, it actually does more harm than good!
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 18:48   #19
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by convertisaab View Post
Hi bobsy852, I have a brand new hose which I think will be the one for your car. It is part no 30655069 and retails at about £44.40 inc Vat !! If you are interested, I can let you have it for £25 delivered. If you care to send me a pm I'll get your details.
I had similar problems to the OP. As my original delve into it was inconclusive my indie took the bumper off to check state of play. Basically the plumbing was in a poor state, and the replacement Volvo part came as an assembly - pipes, connectors etc. I also poked out the washer jets with one of those tiny interdental toothbrushes. Pretty good flow now.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 17:33   #20
Skyedriver
Master Member

Tagging along to this thread, my screen wash got to the stage of a 4am dribble. Have drilled out the T & Y piece but the flow just gets worse so next stage is the pump which I assume (am I right) is under the headlight area? Can I get to it all by removing the wheel arch cover or does the bumper really have to come off? Surely not!
Where on the pump is this filter you all speak of please.
Any diagrams to aid the attack?
Thanks

ps agree with the poster above, in the "olden days" of Marinas etc it was a bag or bottle in the engine compartment. In fact I had cars where the screenwash wasn't electric, it was a hand operated push pump on the dash. Hillman Imp IIRC.
Skyedriver is offline   Reply With Quote