Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise from under the bonnet

Views : 2095

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2019, 20:17   #1
k saunders

Default Noise from under the bonnet

Hi, I have an xc90 T6 AWD, 5 days ago I heard/felt a strange noise while accelerating. but when I lifted my foot of the accelerator the noise diminished. I have not driven it since as I am not sure if it is safe to drive or if I will cause more problems trying to get it to a garage. Has anybody out there had any thing similar. Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
cheers.
Keith
k saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 22:49   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

That sounds like the sort of symptoms my wife describes to me over the phone when I am 5000 miles away...

If you don't have any other warnings/lights it should be OK to drive to a garage.
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 14:38   #3
oragex
Premier Member

How many miles on it ? I would at least have a look at the serpentine belt, and perhaps also to the cambelt and its pulleys/water pump - depending on what was already done, and also with which part brands
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 22:22   #4
prjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by k saunders View Post
Hi, I have an xc90 T6 AWD, 5 days ago I heard/felt a strange noise while accelerating. but when I lifted my foot of the accelerator the noise diminished. I have not driven it since as I am not sure if it is safe to drive or if I will cause more problems trying to get it to a garage. Has anybody out there had any thing similar. Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
cheers.
Keith
Recently sorted a "similar" scenario with our XC90. Sort of a whooshing/wheezy noise.
Turned out to be low power steering fluid. Luckily no damage done and a simple top up remedied the noise. Will however keep checking it in case of a leak somewhere.
A clear reservoir would be nice here.

Worth checking?
prjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 19:26   #5
k saunders

Hi all
Thanks to the those who offered advice on my problem, I knew the information was slim but that's all I had.
I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Keith Saunders
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:12   #6
k saunders

Hi again, I have had a couple of garages look at it but they are unsure of the problem at this point. The answer coming back is that it could be either the gear box or the transfer box. either way it sounds expensive.. The advice is to drive it for the time being until the fault can be identified.
The car is a 2003 plate so not sure it would be worth the expense.
Any advise from the more knowledgeable appreciated. Cheers.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 00:27   #7
AidXC90

Can you describe the noise?
AidXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 19:51   #8
k saunders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidXC90 View Post
Can you describe the noise?
Hi, I'll do my best. When you first start the engine and pull away you can hear a ticking noise best described as if you put a stick in the spokes of a bike wheel. then when driving it sounds like a noisy dry joint, but if you slip it into neutral for a few seconds while moving the noise disappears.
Hope this helps.
thanks for your interest.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 20:31   #9
AidXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by k saunders View Post
Hi, I'll do my best. When you first start the engine and pull away you can hear a ticking noise best described as if you put a stick in the spokes of a bike wheel. then when driving it sounds like a noisy dry joint, but if you slip it into neutral for a few seconds while moving the noise disappears.
Hope this helps.
thanks for your interest.
Well I'm no expert but perhaps more knowledgeable form members may have an idea now that we have your description. I'd guess it is transmission related as your garage said. I mean, what else could it be?
AidXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 13:56   #10
paddy74

Are there any error codes (read with VIDA)? Can be anything drive train related, transmission, Haldex, rear diff.....