Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DTC P2002 insisting on being active - Volvo V50

Views : 1460

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2019, 20:22   #1
Jonas de Oliveira

Default DTC P2002 insisting on being active - Volvo V50

Hello everybody,

I own a volvo V50 2.0 diesel from 2008.

Since the beginning i have had all sorts of problems regarding my DPF and to try and solve this i have changed the following:

- The EGR valve (OEM)
- The DPF sensor and pipes (OEM)
- The DPF filter (aftermarket)

After these changes i still get the DTC P2002 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold but only when i take it to the motorway in the weekends to give it a spin in an attempt to keep my filter relatively clean. I always check if there is any code daily with Car Scanner and during the week with town driving the code doesn't pop up in Car Scanner and only pops up when i take it to the motorway. The engine light doesnt come on, its just in Car scanner which shows the status of this code as pending. But i did have to manually delete the engine light code when it first popped up in the dashboard after the last time it came from the garage.

I suspect that although the code status shows as pending in the Car Scanner app the car won't be going through the regen when i take it to the highway and the filter will end up getting blocked again if i don't get it to the garage to force regen it. Unfortunately i cannot check the soot level content with my Car Scanner app so i don't know if it the soot level is building up.

The garage say that they did everything they could and know of to try and fix this and that the only possible solution for this is to check all of the wiring in the system to check for any fault, however they warned me that there are few people nowadays capable of doing this and that it would be very expensive with no guarantee of success.

So i am calling out for some help in this community, as any advice/suggestions will be much appreciated as i no longer know what to do to try and fix this. I have spent weeks going through threads but found nothing quite similar to this situation as the car is currently running fine but that DTC will always pop up when taking it on the highway.

Many thanks,
Jonas
Jonas de Oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 20:29   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Hi, this really needs to be put on Vida ( Volvo Diagnostics )to properly diagnose what is actually happening.

As it stands you are throwing parts at it in the hope of stumbling across the problem and all the while it's costing you.

Ask on here to see if anyone is local to you that has Vida that could read the codes for you.

Failing that find a Volvo independent or main dealer .

Generic code readers all to often will not cut it with a Volvo.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 17:54   #3
Jonas de Oliveira

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Im going to a good Volvo Independent Garage named Volsaa Engineer in Derby. I say good based on the previous experience i had with previous garages, and Volsaa were very professional in every action they took on my car.

This said they have proper Volvo Diagnostics equipment and its because of what this equipment says, they state that the car is going to have an electric issue somewhere in the DPF system thats going to be very hard and expensive to find.

My guess is that this P2002 code is popping up whenever the car tries to regen but it foresees that its incapable of doing so due to possible misreadings retrieved by the ECU.

Thanks,
Jonas
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 20:03   #4
Jonas de Oliveira

Default DTC P2002 with engine light came back on ...

Hello again community,

Does anybody else have any ideas as to what may be happening? The car is going next monday to the garage to check the soot levels of the filter. The engine light came on yesterday during normal driving with the usual DTC P2002...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jonas
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 19:41   #5
Jonas de Oliveira

The car came back today from the garage after approx a month running with the engine light coming on with the DTC P2002 following this always being erased. They said that no soot was being built up in the filter suggesting that the car was doing the regen when required. They came to this conclusion after the inlet pressure differential being equal to the exit pressure in the DPF. Their volvo diagnosis tool however didn't point out to the specific problem, and it just says there is a problem with either the DPF filter, sensor or electric system.

One thing worth mentioning is that apparently some kind of work was done to the ECM as it has black tape on it. The garage said however that by the looks of it it was a professional that did it but again i dont know the nature of the job done to the ECM.

Can anybody tell me if the aftermarket DPF filter that i have fitted might be creating more back pressure than the OEM DPF filter under certain driving circumstances and that might be the reason of this code?

Thanks,
Jonas

Tags
dpf filter, dpf sensor, dtc p2002, volvo v50