Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D4 5-cyl main battery replacement questions

Views : 1498

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 22:21   #1
flanker711

Question V60 D4 5-cyl main battery replacement questions

Hi all,

I have a 2012 V60 D4 5-cyl with Start-Stop function.

The original main battery is still in service (almost 8 years). Since the Corona days the battery have been hardly fully charged. But I still tried to drive it every week to keep the SoC > 70%. Low battery message rarely showed up.

As a precaution measurement, I'm considering to replace the aged main battery myself. I heard that AGM batteries should only last 6 years...

But I still have these questions:

1) Is there any simple way to check whether the battery is likely to die soon?

2) Battery type: according to user manual, the main battery for diesel model with start-stop should be:
AGM, Cold Start Capacity 760A, Capacity 70Ah, size 278mm * 175mm * 190mm

Searching the internet, it seems this model should fit:

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...gm/570-901-076

Could anybody please confirm whether this is an acceptable battery? Is there any recommended battery model?

3) Will it be a problem if I buy a new battery and only replace the original battery a few months later? Is it safe to store the new battery in the storeroom, and will it damage the battery?

4) User manual does not mention anything about the need for reset the battery counter. But I heard that to make the SoC capacity work properly, battery counter should be reset via either VIDA or some key combination (there's a Youtube tutorial). Can anybody confirm it?

Thanks in advance!

flanker
flanker711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 22:40   #2
flanker711

Unhappy

Btw, one weekend I noticed battery was only 68%. I drove more than 1 hour to charge it to 78%. and then I went for a hiking without unplug the ODB2 BT adapter. 8 hour later I came back and found the battery is back to 70%.

This ODB2 adapter seems to be ridiculously power hungry...
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 08:23   #3
piotrek

Check the parasitic drain (quiescent current - average value from last night) without the elm327 plugged in overnight. Anything above 25mA is a cause for concern.
A few days later leave the ELM327 in the socket overnight, and check the quiescent current next morning - you will get the energy consumption of ELM.

Last edited by piotrek; Jun 24th, 2020 at 08:25.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 14:20   #4
oldairbear

[QUOTE=flanker711;2641753]Hi all,

2) Battery type: according to user manual, the main battery for diesel model with start-stop should be:
AGM, Cold Start Capacity 760A, Capacity 70Ah, size 278mm * 175mm * 190mm

Searching the internet, it seems this model should fit:

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...gm/570-901-076

Could anybody please confirm whether this is an acceptable battery? Is there any recommended battery model?

Hi, in regard to your 2nd question the battery code for the correct t AH and CCA is "096" when searching g look for a battery 096 BUT also Include the terms AGM and STOP START.not all batteries are born equal.

The D4 2.4 with stop start a d an auto gearbox needs battery type 096 AGM with STOP START capability. The Volvo battery is 70AH and 760CCA and around £170 last ti e I checked. You can however get a C3 dis count at RFR Swansea. Very knowledgeable and helpful people.

The battery you are looking at is a 096 type AGM
oldairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldairbear For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 15:50   #5
moosehead74

As per the previous thread on the XC60 low battery charge you could try Tayna. They are very competitive and will generally price match anything you can find on the internet. Excellent customer service and next day delivery. In my experience the guys seem very knowledgeable and will always give good advice.
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moosehead74 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 07:51   #6
Easington
Master Member

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/

I bought one for my S60 from these guys, excellent service and next day delivery in the middle of lockdown.

I bought this one:

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/p...7-car-battery/

But my car isn't stop/start
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 16:52   #7
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Try the dealer, you may well be surprised at the price.

On my last 4 Volvo's the dealers been the best price & you know it's the correct size & spec.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 21:42   #8
flanker711

Smile

Thanks a lot guys.

I ordered a "Varta Start-Stopp AGM 70 Ah 760 A (EN) E39" from Amazon and jad changed myself. Replacing procedure is pretty straight forward. I would say it's easier than changing the cabin air filter!

The only setting lost during replacement is the clock. It shows __:__ on the instrument panel.

I also use the 6 x fog light button + 3 x hazard light button to reset the battery counter. Before resetting, car scanner pro showed that "Battery Operation Time Since Battery Monitor Reset (days)" is 3000+ days. Original AGM battery really lasts so long!

Steps to reset battery counter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z5m78Szw
The Following User Says Thank You to flanker711 For This Useful Post: