Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Map Update problem

Views : 33793

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2018, 00:12   #11
nickbatch

I too am having this problem.

Last October I updated from ver 31489568 (As delivered Sept 2017) to ver 31676528. An absolute pain to have to baby sit the update took forever.

Am now trying to update to ver 31676577 which I attempted when drivong as didn't need sat nav.

I have verified the USB contents again so know that's OK so must be the update process.

Navigation now shagged untill I can get the update to install.

May see what my dealer has to say as don't fancy sitting in car on drive with engine running for 1.5 hours plus.

Nick

V60 T4 R-Design MY 2018
nickbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:25   #12
Mick787

Nickbatch, just leave the USB plugged in, it should update a bit at a time. You don't need to leave it in with the engine running until its done. It will update a bit of a time if you are only doing short journeys. If the download has been done correctly.
If its any consolation I spent ages downloading 'something' onto my USB stick from Volvo's site. I plugged the USB in and sod all happened! Who knows what is going on. Thankfully I have maps there on the system. I'll just leave it at that. I really can't be arsed and just don't need the hassle or worry something will be corrupted.
I think that what is apparent is the system Volvo has in place, albeit free, is not that user friendly and could do with simplifying. I say that because in the year I've owned my car and been a member of the forum, I've noticed that posts appear on this topic each time an update is released.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:05   #13
xsaab
Master Member

not free - it has been paid for in the original purchase price and no doubt in any service that involves a software update.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 13:15   #14
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I just downloaded mine straight from the update site onto a freshly formatted USB. Plugged it into the car & then just left it to it whilst driving around various short journeys on Saturday.

No Pain & by Saturday afternoon all completed.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 16:27   #15
PJordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
I just downloaded mine straight from the update site onto a freshly formatted USB. Plugged it into the car & then just left it to it whilst driving around various short journeys on Saturday.

No Pain & by Saturday afternoon all completed.
Same here - directly downloaded onto USB stick from Volvo website (I think this part of direct onto USB stick is important and what is recommended, do not download onto your computer hard drive first as this seems to be what can cause issues). Plugged straight into USB socket in Volvo and worked perfectly. All complete after about 1 hour 30 min.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 16:59   #16
humming

I did actually try both methods of downloading the maps update, straight to USB and to hard disk then USB. In both cases I verified the download on the USB using the Volvo tool.

When I plugged the USB into the car both methods resulted in the same problem, “Map update failed. USB unreadable” message.

It was worth the effort of having to keep pressing the 'exit' button as some roads that were missing on a new estate by me, on the previous maps, are now visible.

I do wonder if some cars have a dodgy USB connector.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 18:02   #17
nickbatch

#Mick787 - I tried that and the update keeps halting requiring Exit to be pressed. It was restarting until this morning when it went back to the beginning. I only do short journeys and need navigation over the bank holiday. The only solution is to sit with it on the drive.

I lost count how many times I had to press Exit. After 1.5 hours plus it finally installed. Not overly impressed with this software update.

Last edited by nickbatch; May 3rd, 2018 at 19:14.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 19:29   #18
Mick787

Sorry to hear that nickbatch, I can't offer any other suggestion.
I have contacted Volvo UK today and I am awaiting a call back from them about what Mac users should be formatting the USB in. (I don't have the option of FAT32 when using disc utility). So I cant even knowingly get the file onto the USB stick! Once it is on the stick I then need to know what Mac users should press instead of 'run'!
Despite having done two 'upgrades' with this same USB stick, I had a message pop up telling me the stick had to be empty before doing the download so I had to erase it!
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 20:29   #19
nickbatch

Good luck. Sorry I have no experience of Mac's. Only MS Dos & Windows since they were released.

Whilst the V60 is great to drive I find it's controls very unintuitive unlike the Laguna III Initiale it replaced, sadly no longer imported into the UK. (Is that heresy on a Volvo forum?)
Old May 3rd, 2018, 21:05   #20
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Sorry to hear that nickbatch, I can't offer any other suggestion.
I have contacted Volvo UK today and I am awaiting a call back from them about what Mac users should be formatting the USB in. (I don't have the option of FAT32 when using disc utility). So I cant even knowingly get the file onto the USB stick! Once it is on the stick I then need to know what Mac users should press instead of 'run'!
Despite having done two 'upgrades' with this same USB stick, I had a message pop up telling me the stick had to be empty before doing the download so I had to erase it!
On a mac you should format as MS-DOS (fat) this is same as what Microsoft calls (fat32) which is the universal cross platform format so that your usb drive can be read by most devices regardless of operating system.
I don't recall exactly as I finally managed to get rid of my wifes mac Christmas time but I don't think you need to use 'Run' at all ( it is a windows command to get the download manager which then downloads the map update). I think mac just downloads the update as an dmg(?), or whatever it is called, which you then decide what you want to do with it - i.e. send to USB or save it locally.

Off subject but I absolutely hated the mac operating system. I bought a macbook pro a few years ago and within 2 weeks I had installed 'bootcamp' and ran it exclusively on windows7 for a year or so until, thankfully, it got nicked and I could get myself a lenovo Thinkpad!
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post: