Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Failure - Foot brake 'efficiency'

Views : 4971

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2020, 10:50   #71
amackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no thats fine , in good condition it should hold on the 2nd or 3rd click 👍
Sorry to jump in on this again but got more issues with my handbrake but happy to hear Neil has sorted his out!

As I mentioned before after adjusting the parking brake I had managed to get it to fully hold the car after 3 clicks. However now when I go to put the handbrake on it is taking all the range of motion, over 9 clicks to hold the car.

Could I have tightened it up too much so that the shoes have been rubbing as I’ve been driving and have now been worn down? I haven’t felt any difference and haven’t smelt any burning brakes and my mpg hasn’t been affected? The only thing I have noticed is a low humming noise when travelling over 40mph.

Now that it is taking almost 10 clicks to engage the handbrake can I assume that it can’t be rubbing on the wheel when it is fully released? I ask because even now when the handbrake is taking 10 clicks to engage I can still hear the low humming coming from the car when driving? It could be that I am just noticing this noise more now that I am having these issues..

Any pointers would be great, after getting it to hold at 3 clicks I thought I had finally managed to crack the xc90 handbrake problems!
amackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 12:35   #72
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amackenzie View Post
Sorry to jump in on this again but got more issues with my handbrake but happy to hear Neil has sorted his out!

As I mentioned before after adjusting the parking brake I had managed to get it to fully hold the car after 3 clicks. However now when I go to put the handbrake on it is taking all the range of motion, over 9 clicks to hold the car.

Could I have tightened it up too much so that the shoes have been rubbing as I’ve been driving and have now been worn down? I haven’t felt any difference and haven’t smelt any burning brakes and my mpg hasn’t been affected? The only thing I have noticed is a low humming noise when travelling over 40mph.

Now that it is taking almost 10 clicks to engage the handbrake can I assume that it can’t be rubbing on the wheel when it is fully released? I ask because even now when the handbrake is taking 10 clicks to engage I can still hear the low humming coming from the car when driving? It could be that I am just noticing this noise more now that I am having these issues..

Any pointers would be great, after getting it to hold at 3 clicks I thought I had finally managed to crack the xc90 handbrake problems!
Check for a seized pivot at the end of the parking brake cable at the drum end ... it can cause issues like that.

Hope it helps.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 12:38   #73
dingov70
Master Member

Good morning , I will step in if I may . I am an MOT tester & see several xc60 /90's / BMW X5's & Range rovers with the same issue .

Firstly the tester should not use the roller brake tester due to the vehicle being constant 4 wheel drive , you may well break /damage something . The correct method is to use a decelerometer , as this works through all the wheels & can increase the effort recorded , providing a pass .

you cannot use the left in park argument to obtain a pass certificate . You may well cause a lot of unwarranted issues for the tester by implication of an incorrect test procedure having been performed , resulting in an appeal & disciplinary action against the tester .

P on an auto box engages a pawl on the mainshaft , locking that . If a drive shaft snapped or a hub sheared the vehicle could well move unexpectedly . Also P on the auto box DOES NOT operate the parking ( emergency ) brake in any way , the parking brake is a totally separate system .

As you have already noted your parking brake is foot operated & therefore NOT actioned by placing the auto box in P . If you actually saw the size of the locking pawl in an auto box you most certainly would think twice about resting several tons against it on a slope .

Oh and we are nominated testers , never " inspectors "
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 14:33   #74
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

it is not unknown for the expanders to be seized on the end of the cable in the drum . also the cars are getting older each year and maybe one or both of the cables are sticking .. its easy to test with the shoes removed ..
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 15:25   #75
amackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
it is not unknown for the expanders to be seized on the end of the cable in the drum . also the cars are getting older each year and maybe one or both of the cables are sticking .. its easy to test with the shoes removed ..
And would that cause the noise that I’m hearing as well? Or would that only explain why it no longer holds the car very well even when fully applied?
amackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 21:51   #76
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
And would that cause the noise that I’m hearing as well? Or would that only explain why it no longer holds the car very well even when fully applied?
it can cause a high pitch noise as the wheels rotate with the shoes rubbing the drum . Also a lot of your foot energy would be wasted forcing stiff expanders apart .
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 23:31   #77
madspark01

Must be common issue mine failed on handbrake as well req new shoes with adjusters and handbrake cables. all were replaced along with a rear wheel bearing ( didn't fail on that but replaced as noisy )
unluckily when I bought the car in feb I didn't check for the locking stud and had to get these replaced as well. Now really happy with lack of noise from rear and I now have a working handbrake.
madspark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 05:53   #78
drjarmin

How hard was it to replace the handbrake cables ? Looks quite tricky from what I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspark01 View Post
Must be common issue mine f bc ailed on handbrake as well req new shoes with adjusters and handbrake cables. all were replaced along with a rear wheel bearing ( didn't fail on that but replaced as noisy )
unluckily when I bought the car in feb I didn't check for the locking stud and had to get these replaced as well. Now really happy with lack of noise from rear and I now have a working handbrake.
drjarmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 17:35   #79
madspark01

unfortunately I can't answer that as I took the easy route and gave it to a family member that has a garage ( materials cost only as I installed his cctv)
madspark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madspark01 For This Useful Post: