Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 steering arm's.

Views : 589

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 23:48   #1
Estate87

Default V90 steering arm's.

Evening all

Does anyone know what length the steering arm's and what length the track rods are on a '97 V90?

Cheers
Estate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 15:22   #2
mjk164
VOC Member

Hi there,
I can only talk about a 1993 960 as I've had one for years but I believe the suspension and steering on the 900 range are similar. You need to establish what steering rack you have as there were 2 or 3 different ones used. First off, if you look at the steering and suspension pages on the FAQ section on this website, it will tell you all you need to know. All parts are readily available but you need to know what is fitted.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 00:20   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The offset on the wheels will be a good clue, the later V90 had the same offset as the FWD cars (850 etc) which is about 46, the normal offset fot the rest of the 7/9xx range is 25 ish.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 08:35   #4
Estate87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The offset on the wheels will be a good clue, the later V90 had the same offset as the FWD cars (850 etc) which is about 46, the normal offset fot the rest of the 7/9xx range is 25 ish.
Thanks Dave

I would assume mine must be 46 then. Forgive me for sounding stupid but how does the offset of the wheels help me determine what length both parts are? Does it associate with the part numbers?

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Estate87 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 08:50   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate87 View Post
Thanks Dave

I would assume mine must be 46 then. Forgive me for sounding stupid but how does the offset of the wheels help me determine what length both parts are? Does it associate with the part numbers?

Cheers
Kind of. The relative position of the tyres in the body is unaltered. By switching to the FWD (46ET) wheels, that would automatically put the tyres further in on the body so the hubs are moved outwards and to reach them, a longer rack (overall including the length of the track rods) is needed.

If you take a wheel off, you should find the markings on the inside face giving the offset (ET), however it may be behind the centre cap as well, like on this wheel of mine :

If you zoom in, you'll see it says (at about the 8 o'clock position) in the centre cap area, 6J x 15 x 25 - width x diameter x offset. This diagram explains offset which should give you more of a clue :

Once you realise the difference between the two wheel designs, they are fairly easily identifiable at a glance almost, as long as you know which you have available.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:16   #6
Estate87

Quote:
Kind of. The relative position of the tyres in the body is unaltered. By switching to the FWD (46ET) wheels, that would automatically put the tyres further in on the body so the hubs are moved outwards and to reach them, a longer rack (overall including the length of the track rods) is needed.

If you take a wheel off, you should find the markings on the inside face giving the offset (ET), however it may be behind the centre cap as well, like on this wheel of mine :

If you zoom in, you'll see it says (at about the 8 o'clock position) in the centre cap area, 6J x 15 x 25 - width x diameter x offset. This diagram explains offset which should give you more of a clue :

Once you realise the difference between the two wheel designs, they are fairly easily identifiable at a glance almost, as long as you know which you have available.
Dave I really appreciate all that info mate. If I'm honest I thought there might be a slightly simpler answer lol. Is there not just one/two sizes of arm/track rod fitted to V90's? It seems as if I'm under thinking it but really it's obviously more complicated?

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Estate87 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:31   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate87 View Post
Dave I really appreciate all that info mate. If I'm honest I thought there might be a slightly simpler answer lol. Is there not just one/two sizes of arm/track rod fitted to V90's? It seems as if I'm under thinking it but really it's obviously more complicated?

Cheers
The point of all that is that there will be one or two sizes of either track rod (part of the steering rack) or track rod end (TRE - goes on the end of the rack to connect to the hub) on the V90, i'm not sure which but if it has the 46ET wheels, whichever bit is different to the 960 will be longer.

I've never needed to try and find out the length of the track rods or TREs on a V90 as it's too modern for my liking. I'm trying to show you how to tell the difference without getting dirty although as you have a 740, i expect you can find a tape measure and simply compare the two cars relevant components.
Then once you have an idea of size and the difference, if any, you should be able to narrow down your parts hunt.

Easiest way i can see of doing it from this end of the cyberspace link!

Old Jun 30th, 2020, 13:16   #8
Shroudedknight

Quote:
I believe all V90's have the same offset, at least all mine have. I think the change was on later 960's, as my '94 960 had the same wheels as my '97 and '98 V90's
Shroudedknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shroudedknight For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 13:25   #9
Shroudedknight

According to the Skandix website, there is only one size of track rod end, one size track rod, and one size steering rack. All the part numbers appear to be the same for V90 and mk2 960, so that might make your choice easier.
Shroudedknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shroudedknight For This Useful Post: