Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing HU-555 with aftermarket head unit

Views : 694

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2020, 22:54   #1
2004v40

Default Replacing HU-555 with aftermarket head unit

Hi

I have a 2004 V40, and I replaced original HU-555 stereo with a new one. There is the original subwoofer in the trunk but after stereo swap it's not working. I assume it takes audio signal from other speakers wiring, as there was no DIN cables connected to the head unit.

I bought a kit that changes original wiring to standard ISO connection. But what wires I need to connect to the head unit to power the subwoofer amp? Rear speakers, front door speakers and dash tweeters are powered by the head unit.

I tried to google it but couldn't figure it out yet.

Here is an image of the connector

HU 555 https://imgur.com/gallery/dTigza2

Thanks in advance!
2004v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 00:14   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

There are 2 systems fitted in these cars that include the sub, one is the more basic setup where just the sub is powered by the inbuilt amp, and all the other speakers are powered by the connectors in the grey plug, and then there's the premium system, where the door speakers, rear speakers and the sub are amp powered, so only the dash tweeters are powered by the aforementioned connector, I discovered the 2nd system when fitting my aftermarket unit into my old SE while the T4 was busy having a broken engine, all I had was tweeters.

however, so far as I understand it, in both cases to get a signal to the amp there is a din connector, as that's what drives the amp, for that to work it will indeed need to be powered, the 12v blue remote wire on aftermarket units being the perfect thing.

you'll need to have at least one set of sub / amp RCA pre outs on your new stereo for the signal though, ideally 2, but if it only has one set you can always use splitters, the main part you'll need is the din to RCA powered adapter, which is autoleads pc9-414, that's what I used in my old 52 plate SE which had the later system, the sub was broken in my 02 T4 that has the earlier system so i never bothered with it, i hope this helps.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jul 7th, 2020 at 00:17.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 05:01   #3
2004v40

There was no DIN connected to HU-555, so I think subwoofers amp takes signal from speaker wires.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=30204

Here on another forum someone suggested that the red-and-black is the remote wire color for subwoofer.

Would it be a bad idea to just try connect the blue remote wire from the new head unit to Volvo's original connectors red and blue wire? I mean after all there is fuses everywhere...
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 06:12   #4
2004v40

Never mind, already found the wiring diagram thanks anyway
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 15:27   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004v40 View Post
There was no DIN connected to HU-555, so I think subwoofers amp takes signal from speaker wires.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=30204

Here on another forum someone suggested that the red-and-black is the remote wire color for subwoofer.

Would it be a bad idea to just try connect the blue remote wire from the new head unit to Volvo's original connectors red and blue wire? I mean after all there is fuses everywhere...

Ahh ok, apologies, I was just going on what was the case in mine with the hu605, and also what i read here before.

https://www.volvov40club.com/threads...-stereo.23170/