Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Wentworth Turbo Cutting Out

Views : 1858

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:34   #1
Simon_Harris

Help !!
I have a 92 Wentworth Turbo which keeps cutting out. The Idling immediately prior to the cut out is eratic, with the exhaust being sooty. I have cleaned all the connectors, and have cleaned the Air Mass Meter and all the hoses up to the throttle housing.The AMM platinum wire is intact and is not open circuit. The diagnostics read 211 for the Injection system. The car restarts fine after stopping,but the problem seems to be totally random, almost as if the ignition or fuel supply has been turned off. Any advice would be of graet help.

Thanks

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 00:02   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 940 Wentworth Turbo Cutting Out

On my copy of the codes there is no code 211. Code 311 gives faulty idling problems as the symptoms. Have you checked the fuel pump relay which is notorious for this problem.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:57   #3
Simon_Harris

Hello Peter.
The fault code recorded was 121- my appologies.
I reset the computer on Friday, and checked 111 was logged on the diagnostic unit. The car stopped again on Friday, and when I checked the unit the fault was again logged as 121 indicating the AMM is at fault.
The unit I have found is very expensive so I only will fit one as a last resort. THe 740 has the same unit so that may be an option, however that's a gamble since the condition is not known.
This will be the 3rd one that the car has had since new so I wonder dwhether the Turbo cars are more succeptible to this failing ??
Old Jul 15th, 2002, 23:04   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

The code gives me "faulty in/out from AMM; wiring faulty inside or outside AMM." Have you checked the connections to the AMM thoroughly to eliminate poor connections or even broken connections which are making an intermittent contact? Have you checked the AMM wire thta goes across the AMM in the throat area of the AMM? It would seem that the problem is more related to poor contact in the wiring to the AMM. I am afraid there is nothing for it but a protracted fault finding session on the wiring between the AMM and the ECU. The poor connection could be at the ECU plug. The "in" pin is 7 and the "out" pin is 8 on the ECU. A signal earth runs from the AMM to the ECU on pin 6. There is a seperate earth from pin 1 on the AMM to the inlet manifold earth point (Brown wire).

All the best, Peter.
Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:51   #5
Simon_Harris

Thankyou Peter.
Your fault code explanation is far more detailed than the one in the Haynes Manual.
Are there more detailed codes available, and, if so where does one obtain a copy ?
Also, do you know where I may be able to purchase the Bosch Plugs at the end of the loom, since I may try replacing these as well ?

Cheers

Simon Harris

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 18:39   #6
Colin Shepherd

Simon,
I`m no expert on these systems but I have read that these AMM failures can be caused by the air fiter box thermostat sticking in the position that supplies warm air to the engine, this, in time cooks the AMM.
Might be worth checking.
Colin.
Old Jul 16th, 2002, 23:10   #7
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Send me your e-mail address and I will attach my copy from the Brickboard Maintenance FAQ. It is a .txt about 11kb (Notepad readable).

All the best, Peter.
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:36   #8
Simon_Harris

Peter

Email Address is sharris@tcd.centrax.co.uk

You have already emaild me at this address I think.

Thanks again for your help.