Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 public charging

Views : 4244

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2016, 22:09   #11
Mezza

I have ordered a T8 so would be interested in lead time for yours.

I so drive a BMWi3 so would recommend you subscribe to a range of providers so you are never caught out. Ecotricity, pod point and source London (or other 'source' areas) as a minimum. All have their own web sites to see availability and active points. Source London is currently free to charge.

Zap map also worth a look and mobile app https://www.zap-map.com/live/
Mezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 20:16   #12
Paulj1

What cable do you get with T8, how long and what type of connector
Paulj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 23:24   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I am having a POD point fitted at work (3.7kw with tethered cable). I was told exactly the same, which is that a 3.7kw POD point will charge at the same rate as a 7kw, or 11kw or 22kw chargers, because that is the most the XC90 will take. He did also tell me that at 3.7kw it will charge the XC90 to full in 2.5 hours (which passes the logic test, it is a 9.2kwh battery so the maths works out)

If a 3.7kw fast charger will charge in 2.5 hours and you can draw 3kw from a 13a socket it does make me wonder why it takes 8 hours when you just plug in to a normal socket at home? The conclusion I have come to is that to charge fast you need the electronics of a fast charger and these live in the charger and not in the car. Hence why you need to part with the best part of a grand to POD point or whoever...
Because the XC90 only takes 10A from a domestic socket , a safety margin i guess . It will NOT use the 16A option available from some chargers .

Last edited by Clan; Feb 19th, 2016 at 23:29.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:06   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

But surely 10amp from a domestic socket is still 2 and a bit kwh so should charge fully in more like 4 hours and less like 8 hours? I am still confused by this whole charging thing and hope that the POD point charges in the 2.5 hours I have been promised. If not then I might as well just have had a standard IP67 external 3 pin plug installed.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:08   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulj1 View Post
What cable do you get with T8, how long and what type of connector
Type 2 to fit the car end and I think 3 pin 13 amp domestic to fit the other end. Cable length is 4.5 metres as standard and 8m option I think.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:30   #16
Lexman8
Premier Member

Frequent fast charging will ultimately reduce the capacity of the battery. Long, slow charges will help maintain the original capacity. Badly treated, a battery may only have about 50% of its original capacity after a few years thus significantly affecting the all-electric range and therefore the overall mpg.

This applies to all plug-in cars, not just Volvos.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 10:31   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
But surely 10amp from a domestic socket is still 2 and a bit kwh so should charge fully in more like 4 hours and less like 8 hours? I am still confused by this whole charging thing and hope that the POD point charges in the 2.5 hours I have been promised. If not then I might as well just have had a standard IP67 external 3 pin plug installed.....
there is the efficiency to take into consideration , charging creates a lot of heat !
The range of teh T8 will be reduced on very hot days as the AC has to come into operation to keep the batteries below about 35 C ... This is when parked up ...
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 17:52   #18
Carl Sberglager

Interesting comment about rolling your sleeves up to charge, at end of review in
today's Sunday Times

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...908aead2ce1e24

Last edited by Carl Sberglager; Feb 21st, 2016 at 17:55.
Carl Sberglager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 23:01   #19
Paulj1

Anyone using public charge points with T8 yet ?

I have a pod point fitted at home, registered with charge your car and ecotricity.

Was at a motorway services at the weekend, the charging point had a type 2 outlet, and the car has a type 2, so is the cable in the boot a type2 both ends ?..

Confused, but pick car up in Friday so all will become clear
Paulj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 17:02   #20
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulj1 View Post
Anyone using public charge points with T8 yet ?

I have a pod point fitted at home, registered with charge your car and ecotricity.

Was at a motorway services at the weekend, the charging point had a type 2 outlet, and the car has a type 2, so is the cable in the boot a type2 both ends ?..

Confused, but pick car up in Friday so all will become clear
Standard cable coming with car plugs in to 13amp household socket. If you order the type 2 cable from the dealer at 50 quid it REPLACES the normal 13amp socket charger it is not extra lead. A type 2 lead on its own is about 200 quid.

The chargers at the motorway tend to be ecotricity and have the cable attached. You dont need a lead. I used one at northampton services on weds morning and it plugged in fine. It didnt charge though so i need to work out what i did wrong. It just said something like "waiting for response from car" and only charged at 0.1kwh. Guess I just need to try again.