Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cleaning the car before you leave the country?

Views : 862

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 19:52   #1
rusty244

Default Cleaning the car before you leave the country?

Maybe this is just me, but for some reason I always feel the need to clean the car before I go on holiday. Just a short hop to Spain for 5 days, long weekend.

The car has been unwashed for some weeks, but somehow the thought of it sat there at home covered in mud (and possibly even a little salt - although I have tried not to use it on days when there is salt on the roads) doesn't sit well with me at all. Especially when I will be soaking up some sun (hopefully).

So an hour spent cleaning in the cold when I have tons of other stuff that I need to do.

Anyway - she still looks good after a wash, and I am quite pleased that the new aerial I fitted has a watertight seal, no signs of water getting in to the boot.

Wheels def need a refurb though. Going to do a list of jobs for spring/summer when I get back!!

Last edited by rusty244; Mar 6th, 2013 at 20:35.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 20:06   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Haha, that's me to a tee. Always a good clean before a long trip, regardless of how long since the 'last' clean. Oh also before an MOT (a good talking too on that one too, lol).

For once my 850 went in for MOT at very short notice...... Dirty..... Failed! , lol.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 00:08   #3
volvo always
Premier Member

When I'm going away on holiday I give the car a good clean and bring the car with me

I add it as excess baggage lol!

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 00:59   #4
c_lee
VOC26332

That has scrubbed up quite nicely James.

You wouldn't, by chance, like to treat it to a set of 14" Torslander alloys would you?

About 3 months before I parted out my 240 Auto last year I had put a full set of new tyres on its steel wheels and I'm thinking of putting them on my daily 240 in place of the alloys on there.

Those alloys ( 4 of them ) have good tyres but I don't have tread depths and brands at hand at this time of night.
There are 20 chrome wheel nuts for the alloys too.

I have been thinking about selling the alloys for a few weeks now though I have not advertised them because I'm not really sure I want to sell them.

But my 240 rarely gets used these days and it would be a pitty to let those few 100's of pounds worth of new tyres on the steels deteriorate ( unused ) through age when they could possibly see me out with the mileage the 240 does.

I've even wondered this past 12 months or so whether I should sell the 240 but a dose or two of 40% medication stops those thoughts.

Have a think about it - there's no rush - I'd want to clean and re-spray the steelies first and refurb 4 of the spare 240 wheeltrims I have.

The alloys are original Volvo ones and it's marked on the rims.

If you'd like more info re brands & tread depths let me know.

I won't do anything further without your refusal or non response after a couple of weeks so enjoy your hols.

If you remember you called at my house before for some bits off the Auto I parted so if you'd like to look at them PM me after your hols and we could arrange a time.

Colin

Last edited by c_lee; Mar 7th, 2013 at 01:05.
c_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 19:45   #5
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

reminds me ... years ago I was in Switzerland with my 240 on a camp site. Started to do my usual clean and got told off - too much use of water. Later that day in the town, the road was being washed down! I suppose a clean road may keep your car cleaner!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 20:53   #6
Matt240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
reminds me ... years ago I was in Switzerland with my 240 on a camp site. Started to do my usual clean and got told off - too much use of water. Later that day in the town, the road was being washed down! I suppose a clean road may keep your car cleaner!
I wish my road was cleaned, this is my car five days after I last washed it (bearing in mind I hadn't driven it at all in that time):

Matt240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 16:55   #7
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lee View Post
That has scrubbed up quite nicely James.

You wouldn't, by chance, like to treat it to a set of 14" Torslander alloys would you?

About 3 months before I parted out my 240 Auto last year I had put a full set of new tyres on its steel wheels and I'm thinking of putting them on my daily 240 in place of the alloys on there.

Those alloys ( 4 of them ) have good tyres but I don't have tread depths and brands at hand at this time of night.
There are 20 chrome wheel nuts for the alloys too.

I have been thinking about selling the alloys for a few weeks now though I have not advertised them because I'm not really sure I want to sell them.

But my 240 rarely gets used these days and it would be a pitty to let those few 100's of pounds worth of new tyres on the steels deteriorate ( unused ) through age when they could possibly see me out with the mileage the 240 does.

I've even wondered this past 12 months or so whether I should sell the 240 but a dose or two of 40% medication stops those thoughts.

Have a think about it - there's no rush - I'd want to clean and re-spray the steelies first and refurb 4 of the spare 240 wheeltrims I have.

The alloys are original Volvo ones and it's marked on the rims.

If you'd like more info re brands & tread depths let me know.

I won't do anything further without your refusal or non response after a couple of weeks so enjoy your hols.

If you remember you called at my house before for some bits off the Auto I parted so if you'd like to look at them PM me after your hols and we could arrange a time.

Colin
Thanks Colin!

I have to admit I have always loved the look of the original steels (when in good shape) combined with chrome hubcaps (and also a set of chrome trim rings which I will be acquiring shortly). However I remember seeing your light blue 240 with Torslander alloys last year and it looked excellent - suited the car very well - I think this was the first time I have seen them on a saloon. So I would definitely be interested in taking a look if you do decide on selling, particularly as you are only up the road - be good to catch up on Volvo goings on.

Mine is currently wearing a matching set of 4 Michelins with only about 10,000 of wear so be interested to see if the sizes are the same (I think mine are 14 / 80 / 175). Could certainly make use of a second set of wheels in any case, would make refurbishing my steels a lot easier too.

Interesting that you found yourself using your 240 less at the moment since your recent-ish estate acquisition. I found that whenever I change my modern daily driver (which isn't that often) my 240 usage always drops off for about 6 months or so due to the novelty of using the new car etc but it always returns to normal pretty quickly after this, despite the newer car obviously having more creature comforts, being faster etc etc. The 240s just have a lovely period drive (without being too old fashioned) and are incredibly practical and robust. Always brings a smile to my face driving this car.

Right, better get working on my to do list for spring-summer 240 jobs and things tofix...
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post: