Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ar much

Views : 616

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:14   #1
Ady65
Just Meeee

Default Ar much

I need a new bonnet catch cable as mine snapped, it was a good job i was sitting down when i found out on ebay how much they are going for.. £45 WTF . Looks like i need to go a hunting at some scrapyards me thinks. LOL
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:23   #2
DWM
VOC Member

I haven't done this job myself (God forbid) but I know a lot of people have and from what I've read you can do it for about a tenth (or less) of that price by buying an appropriate bicycle gear- or brake-cable. Do a search on here.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:28   #3
gatos
Premier Member

As DWM has already said. the right bicycle STAINLESS STEEL and not crappy galvanized is dirt cheap and will do the same job as the Volvo cable

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:29   #4
Samwell
Master Member

I had to do this once myself... it was a painful job. I never actually replaced the cable to the inside of the car, but fashioned a pull handle from the catch to open the bonnet from the lower air vent. Took quite a tug and was hidden, but perhaps not 100% secure against theives... mind you, whos gonna look there for a pull cable bonnet catch cord!!!

Good luck!
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:36   #5
Ady65
Just Meeee

Cheers guys i'm not looking forward to this
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:53   #6
DWM
VOC Member

Taking some pictures while you do it won't add very much to the suffering. I'd love to see a guide on this... every time I pull that handle I'm convinced it's going to snap.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:53   #7
Samwell
Master Member

The key issue I had was getting my bonnet open after the cable had snapped off on the latch end. That was a real pig, but there are 2/3 10mm bolts which had to come out, a plastic bracket covering 1 of them had to be bent back so far it almost snapped, but once they were done, it was easy enough.

The head-scratcher is when you want to route the original cable through the body and wing... or find another way to open the latch. I didnt buy the original replacement cable but I wish I had. AND when it comes to me buying my next V40, the FIRST thing I do when I get it home will be to reinforce the end of the original cable. Its weak crap with a poor end that rusts and corrodes way too easy.
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samwell For This Useful Post: