Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Torque Steer on T8

Views : 4967

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2020, 20:56   #21
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
So the T8 doesn’t have a Haldex unit figuring this out?
A T8 is a powerful front wheel drive car, and a low powered rear wheel drive car that happen to co-occupy the same chassis!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:28   #22
DocAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
A T8 is a powerful front wheel drive car, and a low powered rear wheel drive car that happen to co-occupy the same chassis!
Ooops, misread that the first time. Any way of deleting my reply?

Last edited by DocAce; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 08:38.
DocAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 18:58   #23
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAce View Post
Ooops, misread that the first time. Any way of deleting my reply?
Oh...did I miss a good reply then...were you taking the P?
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 19:19   #24
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
So the T8 doesn’t have a Haldex unit figuring this out?
No. There is no mechanical drive connection between front and rear.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 20:20   #25
DocAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Oh...did I miss a good reply then...were you taking the P?
Nah - just repeating what you had already said actually
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 09:28   #26
stevew321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
I've had my T8 for nearly 4 years, and have signed up for another 12 months given my low miles (and a new model in the pipeline...) and frankly, because I can't find anything to compete for my needs.

I must admit over all this time I have found torque steer is noticeable when you put your foot down.However, I find that you really do need to choose your driving mode, or custom your own.

Hybrid mode is fine for gentle commutes but when you put your foot down, the two drive chains (especially the autobox) get in a muddle on mine and the ICE dominates with a sudden great slug of power/torque. It's not refined. In power mode, everything is much better in my experience for some spirited driving and torque steer is much reduced. Handling, power delivery delivery and response is much more 'sorted', as you'd expect.

Given I drive 7 miles to my office at a max 40mph though I use Pure a lot of the time too and I love it. Like driving a cloud.
I have been doing a bit of experimentation and I agree that preselecting power as a drive mode improves things. My bad experience did occur when in hybrid mode running on electric and flooring it so the car had to deal with waking the engine up, finding the right gear etc. Since trying the same manoeuvre in power I’ve notice a significant improvement, though I’m still occasionally detect a slight pull at the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I think this twin engine arrangement, whilst allowing for packaging of the battery in the transmission tunnel, will always struggle against 4x4 systems that aim to take all power and shuffle it around according to traction/ load etc.

Having said all do this, I too cannot find a better car to suit my needs as I only need a midsized SUV and most of the competition at the same size suffer from offset pedals due to the longitudinally mounted engines. The only other car I would look at would be the BMW X5 45e which is in the next size class up and is therefore big enough to have the pedals in the right place. Downside is the aggressive image and larger footprint than I need (and cost).

I’m looking forward to when they bring out the fully electric XC60 that will bring with it a much more even power distribution as well as all the other advantages.
stevew321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 07:01   #27
jarm

I'd appreciate any feedback. Is it torque steer I'm feeling, is it normal or is there something wrong with the axle or suspension? I have a MY20 T8 Polestar with air suspension.

When I floor it I can feel steering wheel being pulled to the right. It happens in Dynamic and Polestar modes and when flooring it. It doesn't happen in AWD mode or when moderately accelerating.
I can feel the steering being pulled, but it's nothing I would describe dangerous. Tried to accelerate without holdign the wheel (disabled lane assist also) and then in Polestar mode, it goes in a fairly straight line up to 50-60mph and then pulls to the right.

Is it torque steer and what's your experience? I'm not sure if it has been like that from the beginning or is it something new after I had wheel alignment done.

Had a wheel alignment done, as felt the car wandered a little to the right. I had my local dealer do the alignment. To my surprise first alignment is done for free.
Dealer did the alignment and said both axles were misaligned. He adjusted them and said everything is in spec now.

Took the car and immediately noticed wheel is not straight and car wanders quite severely to the right. Before the alignment I wasn't even quite sure it is actually wandering to the right or I'm imagining it. But after the alignment it pulls to the right, no slight wandering.
Called the dealer and they promised to take a look next week and do a test drive.

With other cars I have used one local independent tire / wheel alignment shop and tought I'll let them have a go. So they did the alignment and immediately said both axels were misaligned. It took them maybe 20 minutes to do the adjustment. For dealer it took almost an hour.
Took the car and now steering is straight again and no pulling or wandering to the right. Drives straight when rolling in neutral, cruising or moderately accelerating. Except when flooring it, then pulls to the right.

So now I'm not sure is there still something wrong with the alignment or is it just torque steer I'm feeling and it's normal for T8.

Thanks

Last edited by jarm; Jan 29th, 2021 at 07:05.
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 09:38   #28
Cull06
Master Member

It is a car known for torque steer in T8 guise. let’s be honest the car wasn’t designed for flooring it! Saying that, when I do floor it, yes there’s a fair amount of torque steer but it is controllable if I fight to keep it in a straight line. If you can’t even do that on yours then could well still be an issue there.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 09:56   #29
Discoman

I did not consider the T8 as I saw it as an overpriced company car tax dodge but given it's design I guess it's inevitable that you will get torque steer with a 300bhp FWD engine doing much of the work. This will be fixed when they have two or four electric motors front and back that can talk to each other and modulate power better. Roll on the next generation.

On the flip side looking at my car, Haldex is not brilliant and even this still has some torque steer before it switches the rear on but it is a big improvement on early versions from two decades back which could be really dangerous in the snow as they shuffled the power too aggressively to the back.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 10:05   #30
jarm

Thanks. I think it's normal then. When flooring it I can easily counter the pull to right. It's most pronounced around 50-60 mph, but no way hard to correct. I just feel it's there.

Also spoke with the dealer tech this morning, the one who did the first alignment, and he said that sometimes it takes two to three adjustments to get wheels aligned. For torque steer he said earlier MY were worse. Volvo changed something in steering and suspension for MY20 and it's actually better now.

But thanks again, your comment confirms the torque steer I'm feeling is not specific to my car but to all T8s.
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote