Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bike Rack and Gin

Views : 2198

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2017, 22:17   #11
davB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyAnscombe View Post
£700 for a detachable tow-bar (had them on my last 3 XC60's)
£250 for a Thule bike rack (have a 2 bike one to sell if you are interested)

Polestar - at what point does it become a factory option? I'm currently going through the pain of insurance renewals (my god, how much!) and none of the major sites have an option for it... It normally ends up in the "other" category which means ringing and speaking to someone...

gin - currently Sacred Cardamon with ginger beer...

Ah ha - you were the only one (so far) to score double points for spotting the secondary polestar question and for having an excellent gin recipe
davB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 23:08   #12
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I had a factory removable towbar.....and sadly haven't had reason to use it (yet!). Hey ho. It was about a £600 option, IIRC
I was expecting to use it mostly for cycles - have a friend with a towbar attachment that I would agree beats the pants off any roof option....but then haven't done any mega bike rides that needed it since my epic London to Paris (which was just before getting Stormy!)....maybe next year!

Polestar - just done mine, love it - insurance went up about £30 for the remaining ~7 months, so about £50 pa.....

Good luck!
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 10:35   #13
Gilesme

Default Roofbox

These people are really good - like most things you need to shop around, but you get free straps with an order (i always strap my 4 bikes to each other when in transit) and 5% off for being an Autoexpress reader....

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/autoexpress

(oh, and Rhubarb gin with ginger beer currently Mrs E's tipple of choice).

Last edited by Gilesme; Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:37.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 18:59   #14
davB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post
These people are really good - like most things you need to shop around, but you get free straps with an order (i always strap my 4 bikes to each other when in transit) and 5% off for being an Autoexpress reader....

(oh, and Rhubarb gin with ginger beer currently Mrs E's tipple of choice).

Thanks for the link - a really great choice of bike carriers!
Rhubarb - really?
davB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 20:52   #15
Gilesme

yup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warner-Edwa.../dp/B00OCZXPLK
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 21:53   #16
mordred1973

I was lucky that my XC60 had the "original" Thule/Volvo removable tow bar already fitted when i bought it as a 5 month old demonstrator. The dealer principle had it fitted to carry his Thule.Volvo bike rack that he put in the boot when we collected the car. He had also had the polestar done too from new.

I sold the bike rack as it was a 2 bike only and bought one from roofbox website too.....

then a year later bought a caravan so was rather convenient that the car already had the towbar ;-)
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 21:58   #17
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

Wouldn't transport our bikes any other way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A__2B1F.jpg (280.8 KB, 34 views)
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 14:21   #18
soleil

All that fussing about above head height with a roof rack based system on the height of an XC60 - no thanks!
Tow bar bike rack the only way to go. And on the Thule we use - once the bike is in the wheel channels, it is an easy grab of the tie to secure it to the upright 'stand' and then the wheels to the channels. A thick cable lock to tie the bikes together (and to the rack) - job done.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 15:10   #19
Gadgetman

Couldn't have put it better myself
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 22:29   #20
airbrass

Default Buzz bike rack

[QUOTE=Gilesme;2342636]These people are really good - like most things you need to shop around, but you get free straps with an order (i always strap my 4 bikes to each other when in transit) and 5% off for being an Autoexpress reader....

I bought a buzz row bar bike rack for 2 electric bikes at £200. A good deal plus it's build quality and features really surprised me. Top class would definitely recommend.
airbrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polestar, towbar, xc60