Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

crankshaft camshaft timing issues

Views : 655

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2019, 14:55   #1
gdieb

Default crankshaft camshaft timing issues

timing issues. 2004 XC70. Both cam gears are VVT style. I've locked the cams from rear with tool. I've rotated crank to marked teeth between oil cover indicator. cannot get this thing to run. Question, with cams locked and crank positioned to teeth between oil cover indicator, since these vvt pulleys move several teeth when tightened to shaft, how do I position the vvt pulleys when cam is locked and belt is being installed.

This whole timing issue is giving me problems. where is the base position for the vvt pulley ??? Can I have the crank out of position even though the the teeth and oil cover indicators seem to be in the correct position.
gdieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 16:07   #2
byootox
Premier Member

Yeah you can still go wrong, the vvt pulleys will want to move approx 3 teeth and spring back.
When you turn them to there furthest point clockwise you need to hold them in position then put the belt on each pulley accordingly.
This is only normally a problem when you open up the oil circuit going to the pulleys, e.g changing a cam seal etc.
Fell into this trap the very first one I ever done.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 16:44   #3
gdieb

My vvt pulleys are not spring loaded. So I guess I will try to rotate each vvt pulley as far clockwise as it will go against the cam lock tool. Then install be valve timing belt and tension it. I'll let you know how it goes. wish me luck.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 18:08   #4
gdieb

I'm at a standstill. I've follow posts that say if the crankshaft notched teeth are between the oil housing marks and the cam locking tool is in place, the timing will be correct. Not so. My vvt pulleys (on both the intake and exhaust, and not spring loaded pulleys) are free to rotate a few degrees when cams are locked in place. I've adjusted and readjusted this way and that and cannot find the right timing. Help

When the crankshaft gear is indicating the correct position, could it be 1 rotation out of time???? I need a thorough description of how to properly get the crank/cam timing correct for my 2004 turbocharged XC70 5-cylinder
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 08:16   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Not much help to you I'm afraid except to say you are not alone.
When I baught my P1 v70 the supplying garage agreed to change the timeing belt as it's history was unknown.
3 days later they towed it to the local volvo dealer for them to do the job having failed.

I asked the volvo fitter how long he had taken, 10 minuits, you just put the locking kit on, set the crank and you are done. Oh hang on without the volvo kit you will realy struggle as it locks the pulleys as well.

There must be a way around it but my understanding is that the official tool locks the pulleys as well as the shaft.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 08:49   #6
Model flyer
Master Member

I hope you haven't turned the crank all the way round to line it up . If you have it won't run as you will probably have bent the valves

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 21:44   #7
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdieb View Post
I'm at a standstill. I've follow posts that say if the crankshaft notched teeth are between the oil housing marks and the cam locking tool is in place, the timing will be correct. Not so. My vvt pulleys (on both the intake and exhaust, and not spring loaded pulleys) are free to rotate a few degrees when cams are locked in place. I've adjusted and readjusted this way and that and cannot find the right timing. Help

When the crankshaft gear is indicating the correct position, could it be 1 rotation out of time???? I need a thorough description of how to properly get the crank/cam timing correct for my 2004 turbocharged XC70 5-cylinder
Feel free to email me if you need help. I've done the job on my friends S60R which had the two VVT's and the non-spring loaded set-up. I can walk you through it clearly. pierre_mcalpine@rogers.com.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 22:31   #8
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

For what it's worth, here's how you do it. Important: I'm assuming that you have not touched the VVT gears, am I correct? If you have, not an issue at all, but the procedure for timing will simply be different.

If VVT's have not been touched...
0) Use Volvo tool to lock both cams from the rear. On a two VVT set-up be sure that the notch in the back of cam on the left (intake) points upwards and the one on the right points downwards (exhaust). Pretty sure the tool won't fit properly if you do it otherwise but good to double check...never know!

1) Make quadruple sure that you have the crank mark lined up against the oil pump correctly. On some pumps there is a "V" or "U" shape at the top and it's very easy to line the mark up against the wrong side of the "U" - the correct side is the mark on the left (it has a protruding mark on it).

A side-note about the non-spring loaded VVT's. They will rotate a few degrees left or right even when the cam locking tool has been installed. WHEN INSTALLING THE BELT BOTH CAMS MUST END UP IN THEIR END POSITION - I.E. COMPLETELY ROTATED CLOCKWISE. NOT MIDDLE NOT COUNTERCLOCKWISE...CLOCKWISE!!!

2) So here is how you accomplish that: a) loop belt around crank, then idler and loop it around the intake CAM (front cam) BUT before putting it on the CAM take your left hand (or ideally a T55 and socket) and keep the cam gear completed rotated clockwise. While keeping it locked clockwise, slip the belt over the gear being sure not to leave ANY slack between intake cam and crank - be firm. Hold the belt on the intake cam with your right hand and use your left to loop the belt up the back side (water pump, tensioner, etc). Bring both hands towards to exhaust cam.

3) This next part is easier done with a helper. While keeping tension on the belt from the intake cam, rotate the exhaust cam to its limit position (full clockwise) and hold it there (helper?). Lift belt onto exhaust cam being very careful to ensure that it remains in the lock position.

4) Take your pry bar and socket and rotate the crank ever so slightly clockwise to firms things up completely between crank and intake gear and between the two gears. This is just a bit of insurance that both cams are in fact still in the lock position.

5) Tighten up the tensioner following instructions AND taking into consideration air temperature.

NOTE: Unless you are the one who put the marks on the VVT gears to indicate TDC, ignore them as they may no longer be correct markings. If someone has ever had to remove the VVT they could just as well have put it back in place in any orientation they please without re-marking. Repeat: VVT gears can be installed in ANY orientation so don't trust marks made by others.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 00:14   #9
gdieb

thanks pierremcalpine, I'll follow your directions and see if I can get this volvo working again. I'll let you know how it goes in a day or two after I've had some time to work. i really appreciate your advice
The Following User Says Thank You to gdieb For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:59   #10
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdieb View Post
thanks pierremcalpine, I'll follow your directions and see if I can get this volvo working again. I'll let you know how it goes in a day or two after I've had some time to work. i really appreciate your advice
Do not give up! Just keep one single thing in mind: the goal is to have belt on with both gears rotated all the way clockwise. As long as you have that top of mind, all other actions you take will make sense.

BTW: for future postings for your '04, be sure to post in the forum for 01-06 years next time around, you'll get a lot more help!

The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post: