Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 842495

Replies : 6340

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen, Steve 940

Old Apr 19th, 2022, 11:11   #1621
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Some of the bits he has listed will have a market but most of it is (being very kind) indeed tat of the first order.

Looks like he does house clearances and i'd guess has a shop selling the better stuff, the rubbish gets punted out on fleabay.
I thought that Dave: house clearances.

I wonder whether that Volvo 240 estate came as a result of one?

:-)
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 12:14   #1622
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I thought that Dave: house clearances.

I wonder whether that Volvo 240 estate came as a result of one?

:-)
I think the 245 was the house clearance Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 07:27   #1623
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I think the 245 was the house clearance Alan!
I just looked at that 245 ad again Dave, and I wonder whether it is worth anything more than scrap or spares (and lots of those are missing). Sometimes it is probably best to let go.

:-(

Alan
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 11:23   #1624
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I just looked at that 245 ad again Dave, and I wonder whether it is worth anything more than scrap or spares (and lots of those are missing). Sometimes it is probably best to let go.

Alan
Someone with more enthusiasm than realism might take it on as a very brave (or stupid) restoration.........................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 12:00   #1625
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Someone with more enthusiasm than realism might take it on as a very brave (or stupid) restoration.........................
Maybe Dave, but 240s aren't really all that rare yet, so it is still possible to get a solid and complete one for 2 grand. It would cost much more than £2,000 to get that 245 solid and complete as a baseline for restoration. I concluded that motor car isn't really worth saving.

If 240s become really rare (perhaps like Amazons are now) in 15-20 years time the numbers may make sense then.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 21st, 2022 at 12:03.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 13:22   #1626
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe Dave, but 240s aren't really all that rare yet, so it is still possible to get a solid and complete one for 2 grand. It would cost much more than £2,000 to get that 245 solid and complete as a baseline for restoration.

Alan
Precisely the point i was making when i said what's below Alan :

Quote:
The trouble is Alan, at the moment the 240 series is something of "the poor relation" although not quite so poor as the 740 series.
The real values are yet to climb to the stratospheric levels of the Amazon and (although not quite there yet) the 140 series.

The 240s time will come no doubt, as will the 740 too but for now, the values of both are currently climbing out of the doldrums, the 240 is a few years ahead of the 740 for the simple reason it was made earlier so has a head start.

However, someone may view that 240 simply as being "an old Volvo and therefore valuable" and sink wads of £££££ into it in the belief they would at least double their investment. Maybe with an Amazon or a 140, you could buy it for say £500, do all the work yourself to weld it, refresh the bodywork, respray it, interior, engine and other restorative works and it would be worth somewhere in the region of £6-8k. By doing all that work themselves, taking into account the parts/materials used they might make £1-2k profit but more likely just break even.
With a 240, at the present time, they'd struggle to even break even. With a 740, you'd be waiting several years to come before break even would happen.

Maybe if the buyer/restorer wants to use it for 10 years give or take then they could potentially sell at a huge profit and having had the use of it for that time as well, amortise the purchase and restoration costs over that period giving them 100% profit when they sold.

Perhaps i'm viewing it from a different perspective to you and others, some undoubtedly will view it as "It's a Volvo, it must be saved if at all possible", others will view it more basically as in not financially viable to do anything other than scrap/spares mule it now and i'm sure there are others who have a totally different vista of the entire shooting match!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 15:11   #1627
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Precisely the point i was making when i said what's below Alan :

The trouble is Alan, at the moment the 240 series is something of "the poor relation" although not quite so poor as the 740 series.
The real values are yet to climb to the stratospheric levels of the Amazon and (although not quite there yet) the 140 series.

The 240s time will come no doubt, as will the 740 too but for now, the values of both are currently climbing out of the doldrums, the 240 is a few years ahead of the 740 for the simple reason it was made earlier so has a head start.

However, someone may view that 240 simply as being "an old Volvo and therefore valuable" and sink wads of £££££ into it in the belief they would at least double their investment. Maybe with an Amazon or a 140, you could buy it for say £500, do all the work yourself to weld it, refresh the bodywork, respray it, interior, engine and other restorative works and it would be worth somewhere in the region of £6-8k. By doing all that work themselves, taking into account the parts/materials used they might make £1-2k profit but more likely just break even.
With a 240, at the present time, they'd struggle to even break even. With a 740, you'd be waiting several years to come before break even would happen.

Maybe if the buyer/restorer wants to use it for 10 years give or take then they could potentially sell at a huge profit and having had the use of it for that time as well, amortise the purchase and restoration costs over that period giving them 100% profit when they sold.

Perhaps i'm viewing it from a different perspective to you and others, some undoubtedly will view it as "It's a Volvo, it must be saved if at all possible", others will view it more basically as in not financially viable to do anything other than scrap/spares mule it now and i'm sure there are others who have a totally different vista of the entire shooting match!
I'd agree with all of that Dave: the value of things (most things) is a function of supply and demand. There aren't that many Amazons left, therefore even slightly rough ones are on sale for £8,600 (whether the seller gets that much is another matter):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125254141...MAAOSwQJdiVHSF

... there are more 140s left, so okay ones are on sale at £4,750:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154937198...EAAOSwE4FiTsAv

There are loads of 240s remaining, so rough ones can be had for under a grand an pretty good running and riding ones for £3,700:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203911132...oAAOSwq9liVSZO

There are shed loads of 740s still around, so neat and tidy motor cars can be picked up for £1,550 or so:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194984883...IAAOSwgiZiXFpZ

The examples were just a few I found from today's eBay Dave. There is always be people trying to hawk 240s for 10 grand, 740s for £7,000 and Amazons at 25 thousand, but the ones I found in a minute or two are pretty indicative.

I like 240s because they are so accessible. The RB is the perfect example, I bought it quite cheaply, have spent a bit of money and a huge amount of time on it, the motor car is very well sorted now and is worth much more than I paid for it. I still would not be retiring to live on a yacht in Monaco if I sold it though :-).

Alan
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 18:01   #1628
Moomoo
VOC Member

The example of a745 you highlighted is a bit of a peach, good job I’ve nowhere to put it!
I had D616TFR, its twin, loved it
It’ll be a great entry to Volvo ownership for someone.

£2750ish?🤔

Last edited by Moomoo; Apr 21st, 2022 at 20:13.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 20:45   #1629
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
The example of a745 you highlighted is a bit of a peach, good job I’ve nowhere to put it!
I had D616TFR, its twin, loved it
It’ll be a great entry to Volvo ownership for someone.

£2750ish?🤔
I don’t know much about the 700 series, I wonder whether that one will make much over 2 grand. It will qualify as an historic vehicle in only 5 years time, but would still be a very usable motor car (notwithstanding the high fuel consumption).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 21st, 2022 at 20:56.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 21:11   #1630
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I don’t know much about the 700 series, I wonder whether that one will make much over 2 grand. It will qualify as an historic vehicle in only 5 years time, but would still be a very usable motor car (notwithstanding the high fuel consumption).

Alan
The fuel issue was , by modern standards,not good if I remember. Mine was a carbon copy, mid to high twenties , low thirties if well driven on a run.More like a 240 at that age than a 940 !

I’d buy it!👍
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: