Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cabin Heat Issue

Views : 1269

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2020, 13:56   #1
kashkash

Default Cabin Heat Issue

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and Volvo in General. I recently purchased a XC90 66 Reg. I am facing one issue that I am trying to understand and decide on the best course of action.

The temperature in the cabin seems to be very low when I set to Auto and select temperatures like 23 or 23.5. Previously I have owned Mercedes, BMW and Lexus and was almost never set the temperature above 21.5 or 22 as max. However, when I set the temp in the Volvo to 23 or 23.5 it seems to be blowing cold air into the cabin almost making it freezing.

Its a Disel, I understand that it can take time for the engine to heat up but this I almost after 40-50 mins of Motorway driving. I also have Volvo on Call where I start the car a full 15 mins before getting into the car and it will still be very cold.

However, when I do crank the temperature up to "HI" I can feel hot air blowing into the cabin. So, if I set the temperature to 25-26, I actually get decent temperature but not at 23 which is what I would expect.

Is this a common issue with XC90s or should I be doing something to fix the problem?

Thanks for your patience.
kashkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 14:37   #2
DriverDen

Within the Auto Climate setting there are different max speeds for the fan, if yours is too low the fan will take time to fill the cabin with warm air.

Press the autoclimate text at the bottom middle of the display and check that the fan is at max? That would mean it could get noisy, but should warm up quickly, when the fan will get slower and quieter.
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 14:40   #3
kashkash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDen View Post
Within the Auto Climate setting there are different max speeds for the fan, if yours is too low the fan will take time to fill the cabin with warm air.

Press the autoclimate text at the bottom middle of the display and check that the fan is at max? That would mean it could get noisy, but should warm up quickly, when the fan will get slower and quieter.
Thanks for your reply.

When I press Auto most of the time the fan is full but it only vents through the windscreen and closes the other vents out.

The problem is less with the speed of the fan but to do with the temperature of the air coming out.

Like I said, even after running on motorway for after 30mins, it blows cold air when set to 23.5.
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 15:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashkash View Post
Thanks for your reply.

When I press Auto most of the time the fan is full but it only vents through the windscreen and closes the other vents out.

The problem is less with the speed of the fan but to do with the temperature of the air coming out.

Like I said, even after running on motorway for after 30mins, it blows cold air when set to 23.5.
You need to verify the air coming out of the dash and footwell vents and also the ambient air in the car with a thermometer . ... the dash vents will be a little warmer than the ambient air ...
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 16:17   #5
kashkash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You need to verify the air coming out of the dash and footwell vents and also the ambient air in the car with a thermometer . ... the dash vents will be a little warmer than the ambient air ...
Good idea, is there a particular thermometer (from Amazon) that would work best for measuring the air temperature quickly?
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 16:25   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Good idea, is there a particular thermometer (from Amazon) that would work best for measuring the air temperature quickly?
The good old clinical glass nurses thermometer does the job ..
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 06:34   #7
vxf

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and Volvo in General. I recently purchased a XC90 66 Reg. I am facing one issue that I am trying to understand and decide on the best course of action.

The temperature in the cabin seems to be very low when I set to Auto and select temperatures like 23 or 23.5. Previously I have owned Mercedes, BMW and Lexus and was almost never set the temperature above 21.5 or 22 as max. However, when I set the temp in the Volvo to 23 or 23.5 it seems to be blowing cold air into the cabin almost making it freezing.

Its a Disel, I understand that it can take time for the engine to heat up but this I almost after 40-50 mins of Motorway driving. I also have Volvo on Call where I start the car a full 15 mins before getting into the car and it will still be very cold.

However, when I do crank the temperature up to "HI" I can feel hot air blowing into the cabin. So, if I set the temperature to 25-26, I actually get decent temperature but not at 23 which is what I would expect.

Is this a common issue with XC90s or should I be doing something to fix the problem?

Thanks for your patience.
Early SPA cars, in 2016 and 2017, had a lot of issues with thermostats failing. I had both the AC not cooling, on one car, and the heating not working on another.

In both cases, it required replacement of the same thermostat. It was all done under warranty.... so, to be honest, I did not pay much attention. But maybe that could be your problem. I have not heard of it on newer models, to be honest.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 07:55   #8
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Early SPA cars, in 2016 and 2017, had a lot of issues with thermostats failing. I had both the AC not cooling, on one car, and the heating not working on another.

In both cases, it required replacement of the same thermostat. It was all done under warranty.... so, to be honest, I did not pay much attention. But maybe that could be your problem. I have not heard of it on newer models, to be honest.
I remember helping my dad frequently to replace the thermostats on a string of Austin Minis and Maxis as a child - lack of cabin heat was always the telltale!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 09:37   #9
Wizzpop
Master Member

The first thing I would check would be the temperature of the radiator or connecting hoses. After your journey lift the bonnet and feel whether the top hoses are hot. If they are not very hot then it could be the thermostat.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 10:01   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
The first thing I would check would be the temperature of the radiator or connecting hoses. After your journey lift the bonnet and feel whether the top hoses are hot. If they are not very hot then it could be the thermostat.
or a very cold day :-)

Tags
cabin temperature sensor, cold air, xc90 2016