Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cooked B200FT Wentworth Estate 86k

Views : 1445

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 17:10   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Also,never ever let anyone else drive your Volvo's !! Thats why rubbish cars were invented
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 17:38   #12
mister grimsdale

You have my sympathy! This has happened to me twice now, and the good news is that I'm still driving the same car.

First time, I had no working temperature gauge and the engine got hot enough to melt the cambelt cover. The car was recovered to my driveway by the AA and wouldn't start, and I just assumed it had blown the head hasket. My local independent garage had a look at it, and they did skim the head and replace the head gasket but they reported that it had actually looked OK. The non-start seems to have been down to stuck rings, and it spent a week or so sitting in a corner at the garage with diesel in the bores before they managed to get it running again.

Second time, the metal pipe from the back of the water pump failed on the motorway. Car still driveable after recovery, but overheating and pressurising the coolant, so clearly this time the gasket had gone. The same garage declared the original head too warped to recover (given that it had already been skimmed once), but Andy from this forum saved the day with a replacement head.

All very depressing at the time, but I'm glad I didn't torch it at the roadside as I was briefly tempted to do. And it may be, as others have already suggested, that you'll have got away with it. With hindsight, I might have got away, the first time, with diesel down the bores and trying to start it up. Good luck, whichever course you choose!
mister grimsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mister grimsdale For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 17:54   #13
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

See, Steve, there you go! I wouldn't have a clue about how to even start on replacing chimney pots or flaunching (Whatever that is!).

It's a shame you're not closer, I'd happily give you the loan of my V70 to tide you over. We have two other cars and none of them really get enough use as it is.

Oh, and I realise 'griston64' was joking, but I'm more than happy for my Linda to drive 'my' V70 if it means I get to drive 'her' Saab 9000 V6 3.0! They're all really 'our' cars, since it all comes out of the same pot.

Seriously, hope you get it sorted soonest. Linda's Mum lived well into her 90s; fiercely independent and a constant concern to us. She'd stand on a chair to change a light bulb regardless of the number of times I told her I would do it - we were less than half an hour away. I think it was Dickens who wrote about the Aged Parent Syndrome. Bloomin' old folks, eh.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 20:14   #14
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'd sort the leak out from the fact you said it is on the chassis rail the first place I'd look is the bottom of the header tank where the metal insert is as this rusts and swells up causing the plastic to crack.

Once sorted, fill it up and see if it runs, if it does then I'd be tempted to see how it goes, however if it got that hot I'd say the head is probably warped so it will need to come off to be skimmed (don't forget new stretch bolts, I know Volvo say they're reusable but from experience and for the sake of £30-£50 do it once and do it right) then it should be good to go hopefully.

It's car chaos everywhere this week

One guy at work his car cut out and wouldn't restart, an injector had stopped working properly so it was running lean on one cylinder and melted half the spark plug away.

My focus has developed a bad knocking on the rear.

A mate of mine had a tyre blowout on Friday and then Sunday night his auxiliary belt snapped on his Fiat Coupe 20V turbo, wrapped around the cambelt and took that out so the cylinder head is in need of a full rebuild now!

Another guy at work has a 1.0 ecoboost focus and it has lived up to the ecoboom name and stripped cambelt teeth, blocking the oil pickup, starving the engine of oil completely grenading the engine, this is the third engine it will have had in 100k miles!

Good luck with fixing it, let us know how you get on, I would offer to help but time is in short supply and my engine crane died with an engine and gearbox hanging off it.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 21:21   #15
Steve 940
Premier Member

Cheers Luke, I was just about to PM you to enquire if by any chance you may have in your Aladdin’s Cave, a spare B200ft taking up valuable space, although I wouldn’t have thought you dabble in those more pedestrian motors😀😀

Leak source is identified already, absolutely pi##ing out of bottom hose/radiator joint, just didn’t have the will to investigate further if it’s the hose or radiator stub.

I will sleep on it before checking it over tomorrow, and fingers crossed🤞

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 21:38   #16
volvo always
Premier Member

Hope it's an easy fix and no lasting damage.

I have a 1996 940 LPT and one day expect the HG to go due to age/ different metals and 210,000 miles.

I would have it done or have a go myself as like the car. Hope it works out for you.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 21:45   #17
tofufi
Premier Member

As above, hope it's an easy fix.

Even if it's replacement engine time, an experienced person with an engine crane ought to be able to swap a redblock in a day, I reckon. And B200 engines are probably easier to source and cheaper than the B230s these days

Just go careful, redblocks aren't light. When I got the spare B230FT for my Volvo 340, the chap lifted it from the ground into the boot of my 740... no idea how!
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 22:28   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post

Oh well, now what to do?? as I have rather foolishly grown fond of the old thing since joining Volvo ownership a few years ago.
First thing to do is get it holding coolant.
Turn teh engine over by hand

Try runnning it and see how it sounds

You might find it just wants the coolant loss sorting, and probably a new head gasket and skim
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 05:35   #19
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Cheers Luke, I was just about to PM you to enquire if by any chance you may have in your Aladdin’s Cave, a spare B200ft taking up valuable space, although I wouldn’t have thought you dabble in those more pedestrian motors😀😀

Leak source is identified already, absolutely pi##ing out of bottom hose/radiator joint, just didn’t have the will to investigate further if it’s the hose or radiator stub.

I will sleep on it before checking it over tomorrow, and fingers crossed🤞

Cheers
Steve
There's a Wentworth breaking in harry bucklands scrapyard in Cheltenham, I've taken the M90 gearbox, propshaft and a few other bits off of it already but the engine was still there a few weeks ago. I don't know if the car is still there though, if you get it all unbolted they'll pull it out with the fork lift.

The fact it's got no gearbox means it's just a case of removing the wiring or seeing as it is in a scrapyard take a hacksaw and cut through the main loom at the bulkhead so you don't have to mess around unplugging it with the limited room available, cut/remove the heater hoses then remove the engine mount nuts and it should be ready to lift IIRC. I've already removed the downpipe (chucked it under the car as it was aftermarket junk) and I've got the radiator hoses so there's no hoses to deal with, I can't think of much else left on it holding it in. Just be aware it was leaking oil badly and looked like maintenance wasn't regular! It might just want all new seals and the pcv cleaning out then a decent service and be good to go, it was on 228202 miles so way higher than yours!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 05:38   #20
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126301583...mis&media=COPY

Comes with the M90 gearbox too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156021172...mis&media=COPY

Comes with the M46 gearbox
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: