Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 V70 13 pin wiring kit

Views : 2397

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 22:50   #1
B16_DGY

Default 2005 V70 13 pin wiring kit

Please forgive me if this has already been posted but I have searched and I have not been able to find anything that answers my question.

I have just bought a V70 and it has a tow bar on it with the removable hitch. I am satisfied it has never towed as it is brand new. Through my search someone else asked the same question about the car having a tow bar on it and having never been used. My car was initially owned by a Volvo dealer so I am assuming they put the bar on it to entice someone into buying it.

Anyway, to the point, the car only has single electrics on it and I want to buy the kit to convert it to a single 13 pin socket.

Has anyone done this as a DIY project? I have sourced the kit from a dealer on the forum but I would just like to hear from anyone who has done this before.
Is it as straight forward as it sounds or did you encounter any problems.
I have been told by the dealer that there are two bits of the kit, the actual wiring kit and then the trailer module. These two parts come to around £100 but as I said I would like to hear from anyone who has fitted this kit on their own and if they had any problems.

Thanks in advance

Dougy
B16_DGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 13:26   #2
mingdiesel
Peter Menzies

Default 2009 V70 Towbar Electrics

Installing Witter Quantum Vertical Detachable Towbar on late 2009 Volvo V70 with 13 pin Jaeger Plug electrics (much the same procedure for 12S & 12N).

It is possible to buy dedicated wiring harness and Universal CAN BUS Module which can be wired up to suit vehicle installation.
I decided to use a Volvo supplied Wiring Harness & Control Module to ensure compatibility & maintain warranty on my nearly new car (Rear Fusebox appears to have changed after week 46-2009, now one Fuse Module was three before).
I used Witter Instructions (very basic) along with Volvo Instructions which are mostly pictorial so have written this to help others, it is easier when you've done it once.
Once fitted Car was taken to local dealer for Trailer Control Module (TRM) to be programmed.

PARTS:-
VL42AQ Quantum Vertical Detachable Towbar (Supplied by PF Jones).
Cable Harness Part No: V30763865
Control Unit Part No: V30744321
13 Pin Towing Electrics Software program

See Volvo Accessories Installation Instruction Guides:- http://www.volvocars.com/accessories/ii

Tools Required to Fit Towbar Bracket:-

19mm Socket ( I ground one old 19mm socket down to make it shorter reach thus enabling easy access to bolt heads with Torque Wrench between Chassis Section and Spare Wheel Well ).
13mm Socket & Spanner (13 pin socket plate).
10mm Socket or nut runner (plastic nuts securing lower bumper & heatshield).
T20 Torx Driver: (wheel arch screws)
Torque Wrench (Tightening securing bolts).

4 M12*40 Bolts
4 M12*25 Bolts:
1 Electrical Socket Plate, Neoprene Washer & M8 Bolt & Nyloc Nut:
3 M4 Machine screws, nuts (13 pin Socket).

Towbar Mounting:- (ADVICE: Warm Up plastic bumper fittings with hairdryer to avoid breakage in cold conditions).

1. Torx Unscrew rear wheel arch trim connection to bumper (4 fixings each side + 1 upwards to secure bumper edge on each side).
2. 8mm Unscrew Pastic Nuts securing lower rear edge to car underside.
3. 13mm Unbolt EXHAUST hanger (no need to slip rubber) to allow removal of exhaust heat shield.
4. Unbolt plastic nuts securing heatshield I slip clear to allow chasis section access or remove.
5. Torx Unscrew lower rubber tailgate stops on each side securing bumper.
6. Unbolt boot edge trim bolts, take care when pulling upwards to release clips.
7. Unbolt towing eye inner securing bolt (1) under offside boot entry.
8. GENTLY prise bumper edge loose from wheel arch back on either side (does not require great force IF WARM).
9. Place 4 upturned buckets underneath car to support bumper whilst DETACHING REVERSING SENSORS before completely removing bumper from car.
10. Unbolt 2 Towing eye securing bolts and 2 other side plus 1 each side below to release CRASH BEAM (On my witter Towbar Crash Beam was refitted over towbar (once fitted) without any modification although Volvo Towbar instructions show modifications).
11. Offer up and slide Towbar "legs" into chassis section holes ensuring securing bolt holes line up visible through chassis fixing holes (S80 shares same witter bar but uses different holes)
enter bolts by hand untill all holes aligned and threaded correctly, tighten to correct torque settings 95NM for M12 or 139NM for 10.9 Grade (spanner tight).
12.19mm Witter provide qty 4 M12*40 bolts flat washers + lock washers for this (do not mix up with the shorter qty4 M12*25mm bolts flat & spring washers provided for securing Detachable Towbar Receptor Socket.
13. Jigsaw Compared Witter & Volvo bumper cut template's measured mine with bumper supported on 4 buckets and found a square 65mm*65mm hole centred @ 95mm from car along with 60mm holesaw cut on nearside for 13 pin socket made good fit.
14.19mm Secured detachable towbar receptor with M12*25mm bolts & spring washers to correct torque, fixed angle bracket to support 13 pin socket flip up plate (designed to be rotated clockwise so it can flip up out of sight but this requires a larger bumper cut).
15. Re- fit bumper, gently offer up using buckets to support it, align around light clusters and re-fit by pressing back home working from light clusters back towards wheel arch on either side (you may requre asssistance).
16. Once bumper aligned correctly re-secure fixings ie wheel arch & remember vertical screw!! then underside and rubber stops.
17. Slide heatshield back into place & secure with 3 plastic nuts & 1 metal at edge. Re-fix exhaust hanger.
18. Re-fit boot edge trim, roll rubber seal back over edge, align and press home trim clips before re-fitting & tightening bolts.

Towing Electrics:-

a. SWITCH IGNITION OFF!
b. Remove spare wheel, I removed storage tray by releasing gas strut however prop storage tray out of way with support would achieve same result & easier.
c. Remove rubber grommet from wheel well & pass new trailer cable harness through hole leaving trailer socket outside without too much slack ensuring it doesn't rub against heatshield.
d. Secure Trailer Socket to securing plate using 3 machine screws & lock washers if provided ensuring accessible to plug (Note larger bumper cut hole required if socket to flip/rotate up out of sight.
e. Open up panel on N/S to reveal fusebox. Release fusebox cover then press in catches on sides to release fuseholder.
f. Route trailer wiring harness alongside existing wiring loom plug into Trailer Control Unit Module & connect module to existing power & data connections under mat towards N/S front. use cable ties to secure.
g. Connect Earth/ground lead to spare prepared ground terminal on LHS at rear member. Tighten screw to 10NM.
h. Pass remaining power wire (with fuse terminal) through from spare wheel area under floor alongside existing cable to Fuseholder compartment, secure with cable ties to avoid chafing on sharp edges.
i. Power wire terminal fits in back of 15A Fuse in F4 (post wk46 -2009 models) and position 9 on reverse of upper module pre wk46-2009 models.
This is VERY tricky and requires back (white) and front (black) of fuseholder to be prised slightly apart after pressing in tabs to let crimp terminal home, exercise care and avoid force to preven damaging fuseholder or fuse terminal.
j. Fit 15A Fuse in correct position. Press fuseholder back together, fit clip, re-fit to car body & fit cover.
k. Secure control module with Velcro strips at LHS front edge of cargo compartment under sound deadning/insulation mat (limited options given short length of other 2 cables connected to CAN BUS Trailer Control Unit module).
l. Take car to Volvo dealer to have functionality switched on. Neither indicators or sidelights worked before Trailer Module (TRM) programmed on mine.
m. Check the electrics, brakes, indicators, fogs, switched 12v circuit see connections below.

Position Function

1. LH indicator
2. Rear Fog Lamp
3. Ground
4. RH indicator
5. RH Parking Lamps
6. Brake lamp
7. LH Parking Lamps
8. Reverse Lamp
9. +12V
10. Charging +12V (Ign On)
11. Charging Ground
12. Not Connected
13. Ground
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumper On.JPG (192.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 13 pin socket.JPG (120.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Fusebox & Trailer Module.JPG (229.1 KB, 35 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Witter VL42AQ Fitting Instructions.pdf (105.2 KB, 15 views)
mingdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote