Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 exhaust suppliers? Any idea's?

Views : 1337

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 21:37   #1
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Default 145 exhaust suppliers? Any idea's?

The 145 project is going well (i will update the thread soon!) but i have hit a dead end when trying to get a rear silencer for it. The rest of the exhaust is now perfect and i really don't want to replace the whole thing with a stainless system which seems the only option for buying new?
I have been into a few local exhaust suppliers and after they had finished laughing, told me that there was little chance of finding one.
One helpful chap did offer to match up something if i took the old one in, or failing that find me something i could make what i needed from, but is there an "off the shelf" option?

It is a 1970 2.0 manual.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:33   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default bosal

try this company, they are listed.

http://www.leisureshack.co.uk/140-1-...-76_15947.aspx
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 19:13   #3
arcturus
arcturus

If you are a VOC member G.E.S. Guarenteed exhaust systems, will do you a stainless one from £260 tel. 01884 821237
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 19:40   #4
940_Turbo

I put a slightly bigger 2 1/2" Jetex on the 144S I never seem to finish.....
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 19:56   #5
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies. The company in the link list the later 140 system, but sadly not mine!
I only wanted a back box so didn't want to buy a complete stainless system (yes, i am a VOC member) and rang Brookhouse today (they were closed yesterday) and managed to get all i needed once again.
I'll let you know if its the right one when it gets here but they have yet to let me down so far.....
Thanks again all.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 20:00   #6
amaz'in

940 do Jetex do an Exhaust for the Amazon?

I want to dump the standard (although Stainless) at some point..and release a bit of power (so they tell me)..but just can't stand the look of the sjobbies...well the rear silencer to be frank...looks like such an afterthought on a car which otherwise looks like Raquel Welch in Sheet Steel.....

I'm also told the simons exhaust are a very poor fit...from two people who have them...

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 20:47   #7
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaz'in View Post
940 do Jetex do an Exhaust for the Amazon?

I want to dump the standard (although Stainless) at some point..and release a bit of power (so they tell me)..but just can't stand the look of the sjobbies...well the rear silencer to be frank...looks like such an afterthought on a car which otherwise looks like Raquel Welch in Sheet Steel.....

I'm also told the simons exhaust are a very poor fit...from two people who have them...

J
The Simons is a Jetex exhaust. I've not had any issues fitting them, but they do rot out after a few years.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 20:56   #8
amaz'in

ah ha..I see..

Just hate how that back box hangs there on the car...kind of like it's been thrown at the car from 20 yards away......lol

I think Dilip? or someone had one made in a twin pipe Ruddspeed style..maybe that will have to be the route?

Other than get the Screen seal done..and maybe the o/d fitted..I want to concentrate on the 940 and it list of power enhancements..

Does a Simons 'type' exhast really make a big difference in your opinion (which I highly value)...
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 21:47   #9
940_Turbo

Quote:
ah ha..I see..

Just hate how that back box hangs there on the car...kind of like it's been thrown at the car from 20 yards away......lol

I think Dilip? or someone had one made in a twin pipe Ruddspeed style..maybe that will have to be the route?

Other than get the Screen seal done..and maybe the o/d fitted..I want to concentrate on the 940 and it list of power enhancements..

Does a Simons 'type' exhast really make a big difference in your opinion (which I highly value)...
The Simons makes a significant difference. I know what you mean about the rear box, but the Simons is a fraction of the price a bespoke Ruddspeed copy will cost you.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:36   #10
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Only when fitted badly. If done properly, they are absolutely fine & careful fitment can also reduce the visual bulk of the rear silencer. Also, contrary to some advice I have heard & what was initially done to my car prior to my ownership, the rear floorpans do NOT need adjusting with a BFH in order to get clearance over speed bumps etc.

I fitted all of the current system (aside from the downpipe) myself and the trick seems to be to make sure that the centre silencer is mounted as far towards the middle of the car as possible - this way it can be mounted higher & still clear the rear footwells. This is achieved by rotating the position of the over-the-axle pipe to push the centre and rear silencers away from each other. IIRC this also pulls the front of the rear silencer upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
The Simons is a Jetex exhaust. I've not had any issues fitting them, but they do rot out after a few years.
Mine lasted about 7 or 8 years since initially fitted before the first section need replacing (downpipe, which was done 5 years ago) - this is on a car that is in everyday use. For a regular steel system that doesn't seem too bad.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post: