Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to disconnect volvo guard alarm 940 se

Views : 12127

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 16:42   #1
kentplums

Default how to disconnect volvo guard alarm 940 se

hi
i replaced battery on 1995 940 se turbo and since then the alarm status thingy in the windscreen is on red, blinking off every 3 seconds or so. the car starts and runs ok, but will this drain my battery over time? as i never use the alarm can i just get rid and forget? the system is volvo guard, and the remote buttons have no battery power left in them.
any clues
thanks
R
kentplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 17:10   #2
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Kentplums,

The flashing warning unit on the windscreen frame will not drain the battery. Why not fit new remote batteries (jewellers, camera shops or partsforvolvoonline) and use the Volvoguard? Check that it is not a requirement of your insurance for it to be operational.

It is possible to disarm the whole unit qiute easily, but it would be unwise to advertise such information here.

Eric.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbeaumont For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 18:02   #3
kentplums

Thanks for that. I really never use the alarm, nor lock the car except when in the big city. Rural France makes you less security concious I fear. However, I have ordered new batteries and will attempt to sort out the led situation using the volvo guard booklet. Thanks for your help.
R
kentplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 19:48   #4
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Hi there are a few old threads on here about alarms so it might be worth doing a search or two.
If you have the right type of alarm they can be completely disconnected but you will loose the remote central locking which can be useful.

I did suggest making a Volvo alarm sticky for those whos cars were undriveable but I don't think some people though it was a good idea. Thing is if I am clever enough to disable it any car theives would already be well equipped to do the same.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:06   #5
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Default flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentplums View Post
hi
i replaced battery on 1995 940 se turbo and since then the alarm status thingy in the windscreen is on red, blinking off every 3 seconds or so. the car starts and runs ok, but will this drain my battery over time? as i never use the alarm can i just get rid and forget? the system is volvo guard, and the remote buttons have no battery power left in them.
any clues
thanks
R
Its a glass brake sensor, the alarm status on/off is on the dash in the lh tweeter housing.
Yes, any 940 orange box, thats deactivated with the remote will plug in, behind the glovebox , (takes less than a minute) since they are not ecu matched then your alarm is bypassed, make it difficult for a theif by buying anti tamper torx screws, they have a post in the centre of the fitting, and replace all the screws holding the glove box in and the surrounding trim panels, a blob of super glue on the 2 plugs going to the orange alarm reciever box, and you have done your bit,
I have a key operated fuel shut-off valve hidden in the fuel flow line somewhere between the tank and the engine bay.
This will allow the car to run for 200yards, then it runs out of petrol/diesel. The car will then be dead in the middle of the street and probably abandoned there and then.
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diesel-do-nicely For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 22:24   #6
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Kentplums,

I'm sorry to have left you without a Pm describing how to disconnect the Volvoguard: I went down with a magnificent bout of 'flu. As Steve said, there are other threads on the subject. Best to keep the central locking and get the thing working.

Eric.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbeaumont For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 20:58   #7
jcev39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbeaumont View Post
Kentplums,

I'm sorry to have left you without a Pm describing how to disconnect the Volvoguard: I went down with a magnificent bout of 'flu. As Steve said, there are other threads on the subject. Best to keep the central locking and get the thing working.

Eric.
Any chance you can send it to me as well? I have a far from pristine workhorse and the alarm is rather annoying (the fob works intermittently but as I only have one and my wife has a different set of keys we don't use the alarm at all).

Also does anyone know what the code is when the leds are flashing 3 short flashes (with the middle of the 3 on the side flashing). When the door is open the lowest of the three on the side also flashes so I assumed it was likely to be something like the tailgate but can't find any switches for it...

Thanks in advance

JohnE
jcev39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 21:21   #8
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Can you describe what the key fob is like and what year the car is. There are a couple of different systems available. I have the early one on my car.
I think there is a manual on here somewhere that describes what all the flashes are, also gives info about reprogramming if you decide to keep it.

If you do decide to remove it you will loose the remote central locking and your insurance company might not be pleased. The company I was with refused to insure the car without an alarm fitted.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:17   #9
jcev39

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
Can you describe what the key fob is like and what year the car is. There are a couple of different systems available. I have the early one on my car.
I think there is a manual on here somewhere that describes what all the flashes are, also gives info about reprogramming if you decide to keep it.

If you do decide to remove it you will loose the remote central locking and your insurance company might not be pleased. The company I was with refused to insure the car without an alarm fitted.
The fob is the grey single button type and there is a triangular control unit about half way up the A pillar with a single button, 3 single LED's on the side and two sets of 3 LEDs grouped on the front pointing out of the windscreen. I thought this system was the early VolvoGuard one but stand to be corrected. The car is a 1992 940 GLE (although its now got a cooking 2 Litre NA engine...).

I have searched for a manual but without success - perhaps I've been looking for the wrong thing!

Whilst I would very much like to keep the central locking, the alarm is just a pain and I rarely if ever set it. The chances of anyone wanting to steal my particular car I think are remote, particularly as it is usually parked surrounded by a variety of V. high end luxury cars and sports cars (I live in London and park near a luxury car hire shop!). Ideally I'd like to do the minimum just to ensure a) the sounder won't go off and b) the leds on the A pillar will stop flashing!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

JohnE
jcev39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:14   #10
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Hi I sent a private message, did you get it ?