Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Popping noise from induction system

Views : 7757

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 21:05   #1
Nickthecook

Default Popping noise from induction system

Can anyone help please?

I have recently purchased a high mileage V70 D5 (185bhp) It has a slightly rough idle, but pulls like a train. There is a distinctive pop, pop, pop coming from the induction system. The air box seems to amplify the noise, so it's difficult to say where it's originating from. It is definitely in the induction somewhere though. It increases with revs up to about 1500, but then isn't really noticeable after that. It gets louder the hotter the engine gets and the other day it sounded like a blow from the exhaust. I've read many threads, regarding the wear on the hydraulic valve lifters on the early 185bhp's causing late closure of the inlet valves, resulting in blow back.

I intend to get it compression tested tomorrow. One thing that did occur to me, that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. The D5 is a 5 cylinder unit and I've read that this configuration causes uneven crankcase pressure. Is it possible that the popping sound could be from pulses in the crankcase pressure, reverberating through the breather system. I have a little smoke coming from the oil filler, but not under any real pressure. Does anyone know of any part of the breather system, that could cause sudden pulses of air to enter the induction system? Other than the obvious exhaust gasses coming back through inlet. The inlet manifold is fairly quiet, the noise seems to originate around the engine side of the passenger footwell.

Changes to the level of the noise does not effect the idle speed. There is no excessive smoke from the exhaust. The car runs and drives like a dream.

I know it probably is the lifters and i'm happy enough to replace them if needed. The rest of the car is mint and it has an extensive service history. i haven't been able to find any posts from people who have done this and any out comes.

If anyone could throw a bit of light on the subject, i'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Last edited by Nickthecook; Feb 16th, 2015 at 21:11.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 21:52   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthecook View Post
i haven't been able to find any posts from people who have done this and any out comes
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=223589
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:24   #3
Nickthecook

Thanks for the reply cheshired5

Just found this on youtube. http://youtu.be/q8CtUfU1Ico It's the same noise I've got coming from mine. Seen a few similar vids, but this guy claims it's the vacuum pump and does a good job of shutting it up. Car just seems to go to well for it to be valve blow back and not getting any errors.

Last edited by Nickthecook; Feb 16th, 2015 at 22:25. Reason: forgot link. Doh!
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 14:24   #4
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthecook View Post
Thanks for the reply cheshired5

Just found this on youtube. http://youtu.be/q8CtUfU1Ico It's the same noise I've got coming from mine. Seen a few similar vids, but this guy claims it's the vacuum pump and does a good job of shutting it up. Car just seems to go to well for it to be valve blow back and not getting any errors.
Engine mounts - vacuum controlled.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 23:24   #5
Torsen

Mine is still popping after I change out vacuum engine mount. (One was leaking)
I tryed the trick i the video. No help.
Torsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 22:25   #6
Nickthecook

Default 2 different noises. 2 different problems.

The burble, gurgle out of the filler cap was caused by two leaking bottom engine mounts. I just unplugged the feed to the 'T' junction in the vac line at the front of the engine and plugged it with golf T Peg. Burble, gurgle stopped. Then plugged back in the feed and tried each mount and found both were shot.

The pop, pop from the air box remained. If I rev the engine for a few seconds and let it idle, the noise goes for 10-15secs. As mine is an early EU4 and they're known for having hydraulic lifter wear, It looks like the noise is exhaust gases escaping past the inlet valves. Hoping it's just the lifters and that I won't need to replace the rockers aswell. I'm going to order the parts and then decide if I'm going to get my hands oily or send it to the garage. Had a look in the Haynes manual and I think I can handle it. Just need to ask a mate to make substitutes for the two Volvo tools needed.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 22:32   #7
Torsen

Nice. Dont forget this tread;-)
Torsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 12:26   #8
Nickthecook

Default Do I need to fully remove the timing belt for this job?

Just to update. Tried wynns lifter treatment, no joy. Noise is present at start up, fades whilst warming up and returns when up to temp. I would imagine on warm up the oil is thick enough to hold the lifter, but too thin once up to temp. It's a 2005 EU4 engine, so was built at the time the faulty lifters were used. Definitely going to roll my sleaves up on this one. I've not sold my old car yet, so will use whilst the Volvo's off the road. That way there's no time limit imposed on the job. Does anybody know if the timing belt needs to be removed completely? It was only changed 20k ago. Is it possible to mark the belt on the inlet cam sprocket, take the tension off the belt and slide it off the cam sprocket? As long as the engine is set to T.D.C. and the cams are replaced in original position, I can't see a problem. I may be missing something though. Of course, the engine will be rotated by hand after the belts back on, to ensure everything lines up.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 13:57   #9
Simon Jones
Premier Member

My understanding is that cambelts should not be re-used as they contain glass fibre strands which get weakened once tension is removed and then re-applied.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 18:13   #10
D5meister
Premier Member

they are kevlar yellow aramid fibres these days and are v tough
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post: