Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Powered wing mirror not working - warranty?

Views : 1230

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2017, 23:21   #1
Devilbliss

Default Powered wing mirror not working - warranty?

Hi everyone

I have a question about a powered wing mirror that has stopped working and your experience with Volvo warranty claims.

The passenger wing mirror on my XC70 2015 started to let me down a couple of months ago. At first it was just the internal controls not pulling both wing mirrors in. Now the passenger side mirror is not retracting at all. When I lock the car it tries to retract but can't.

The car is under warranty but the Volvo dealer is insisting that the only way that the powered mirrors would fail is if they were hit. There is no damage to the mirror and I can't see how it could be hit because it retracts when parked.

I am interested to know whether anyone else has experienced this problem and also whether you have had an issue with a Volvo warranty claim?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Devilbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:03   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Has it been knocked from it's locating tabs? Try pushing it in manuallly and see if it clicks into place!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 09:42   #3
Devilbliss

Hi thanks - yes I've tried that but I can't shift it.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 19:00   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

Known issue so it should be changed under warranty,

Try another dealer
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 09:07   #5
Devilbliss

Default Powered wing mirror not working - warranty?

Thanks for your reply. Do you know of any blogs or articles showing that this is a known issue as that would help my argument? I have found a lot of articles about the mirrors being out of sync, or the electrics failing due to a problem with the fuse but this is different - the electrics work and I can hear the motor trying to move the mirror but it seems to be stuck.

Last edited by Devilbliss; Sep 12th, 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Extra information
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 11:13   #6
taz777
VOC Member

How can your dealer make an assessment without even having looked at the mirror?

if the mirror has stopped working due to a defect then it should be covered under warranty.

The tricky bit here is that dealers now often charge for 'investigative work' before putting things through a warranty claim. If the warranty claim is rejected then you end up paying for the rip-off labour charges of dealerships.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 14:05   #7
bokabil

I'm not sure if it is the same issue but the powered wing mirrors of my XC90 2014 also went bonkers about a year ago.

See my old thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=259840

The mirrors were replaced under warranty but unfortunately, I never got any explanation what caused the failure. The dealer I'm quite sure did not do any diagnosis, they removed the faulty ones and shipped them to Volvo HQ. I even asked if I could get the faulty mirrors after HQ is done with their analysis, but no way jose.

What I hate about this is what happens when the current mirrors go bonkers and I happen to be out of warranty! I would not want to spend a fortune if the failure is relatively easy to rectify.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 08:52   #8
Devilbliss

Thanks. It looks like a different issue as only one mirror has broken and it seems to have come off the cog. The car spent a day with the dealer who insisted it was hit. When I asked if they could analyse the problem once removed to see if it was a defect or a hit they said no. I still can't see how it could have been hit (as there is no damage) - the dealer tried to say that some light scratching from brushing against bushes was damage.

On the issue with warranty, we have another problem with our Polestar where it gets stuck in gear. It is an intermittent problem and I've had the dealer look at it several times but the dealer can't find the source of the problem. Like you, I am worried that there will be a major problem after the warranty ends. When I called the volvo service center to discuss it this they said they are under no obligation to repair it after the warranty ends even though I have raised it as an issue prior. That seems odd.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 23:13   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

I would find another dealer and explain to them that they other dealer is useless
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 11:57   #10
Devilbliss

Default Wing mirror not working

Thanks for the suggestion. We went to the next closest dealer in a different franchise group (unfortunately more than an hour away). They fixed the wing mirror on the day under warranty because it was obviously faulty.

Tags
wing mirror, xc70