Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2002 1.9 D lots of white smoke, loss of power

Views : 2142

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 19:55   #1
robelia

Default S40 2002 1.9 D lots of white smoke, loss of power

Hi all

I would appreciate some help to understand what is the problem (apart the old age) with my 2002 S40 1.9 D, 120,000 miles, well maintained (I thought)

it started with the engine stalling occasionally at traffic lights when idling and higher oil consumption; one day at 70 mph I had a sudden massive loss of power, with lots of whitish smoke from the bonnet and the exhaust.
I stopped the car, had towed home.

This has happened nearly 2 years ago, when I had time I had started the car and tried and understand what is the problem.

The car starts well, idling a bit irregularly, no smoke, when I try to rev she goes maximum to 3000 rpm and makes A LOT of white smoke, also seems to burn oil, in the sense that I had to add some.

I think that the most sensible thing to do now is to scrap the car because any fix would be no economical, she also needs timing belt done, but I still would like to understand what has gone wrong, it is turbo? EGR? or perhaps something very easy to fix which I don't get?
It is a bit of mistery to me, I could not find a description of a similar problem in the forum.

Thanks for reading this long post,

regards

Last edited by robelia; Sep 23rd, 2017 at 20:11.
robelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 20:25   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Turbo's failed and engines trying to run on its own oil,

Quiet a common issue with these engines
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 21:47   #3
robelia

well, this is one of the reason I am not sure it is a turbo problem, it has never happened that the engine revs itself on his own oil, actually I can't go over 3000 rpm
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 15:33   #4
HalV40

remove the air inlet pipe to the turbo, poke the vanes with a pencil, I'll bet they're wobbly and loose or seized.
If the condition of the car bodywork is good and rust is little, it might be worth getting the cambelt and turbo done by a independent garage. Should be under £500 at a guess. Cheaper if a turbo cartridge is available for this engine and the turbo housing isn't scored or damaged.
HalV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HalV40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 13:08   #5
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalV40 View Post
remove the air inlet pipe to the turbo, poke the vanes with a pencil, I'll bet they're wobbly and loose or seized.
If the condition of the car bodywork is good and rust is little, it might be worth getting the cambelt and turbo done by a independent garage. Should be under £500 at a guess. Cheaper if a turbo cartridge is available for this engine and the turbo housing isn't scored or damaged.
No chance. Turbo will be over £500 by itself. Probably closer to £750. That's assuming no other related damage and cat not ruined by the smoke. Cambel and water pump £300 minimum. You'd get a V40 in good condition for less!

Obviously much cheaper if you're doing the work yourself and can find a decent turbo used.

Last edited by baldmosher; Oct 7th, 2017 at 13:10.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 21:36   #6
robelia

Hi, I have had a look at the turbo as suggested, it looks fine to me, it is not seized and I don't see excessive play.

I wonder, could it be something like the timing belt jumping one tooth?
could it explain why it still works almost normally at low RPM but not at higher RPM (smoke, no power) because of the reduced time of the cycle?

or perhaps one injector not working?

still in the darkness...
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 22:42   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelia View Post
Hi, I have had a look at the turbo as suggested, it looks fine to me, it is not seized and I don't see excessive play.

could it explain why it still works almost normally at low RPM but not at higher RPM (smoke, no power) because of the reduced time of the cycle?

still in the darkness...
If the turbo, boost valve and associated hoses are all good, then it might be the head gasket.

What is the coolant level doing and is there any mayo or coffee cream on the dipstick?
If it's using a lot of coolant or overflowing when hot, then the HG has probably failed.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 07:58   #8
Haizum74
Master Member

A similar thing happened to a friend who has the same model, loss of power down the motorway. Turned out to be the pipe below the fan that goes back towards the engine and up to the metal piping that had a split in it. Got it replaced and sorted.

Worth a look

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 09:06   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelia View Post

still in the darkness...
If the timing belt jumps one tooth it will just lose a little power, not drink oil and blow smoke. If it jumps 2 teeth, it will rattle big time and 3 teeth is game over, as the valves hit the piston crowns.

A leaky or blown injector will not turn the engine into an oil burner and the exhaust would smell of fuel if it was bad enough to turn the engine into a smoker.

Might be worth getting the hidden fault codes read, as a bad fuel pressure sensor (Rail or HP pump) can cause smoke.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 22:07   #10
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Could still be the turbo. The shaft could have split and the exhaust side is seized. Also could be the variable vanes if its the 115bhp.

Had a very similar thing on vw touran.

The engine was breathing through the EGR and the crankcase.

In this case though hardly anything came out the exhaust.

Also some of the symptoms could be due to EGR and or the MAF sensor.

When my MAF failed there was no power and lots of smoke and the engine warning light came on!

Tags
loss of power, smoke, smoke from hood