Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fob not operating central locking 1999 T5

Views : 3103

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 22:53   #11
britten_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Yes, you are being stubborn - as mentioned above, the antenna ring around the ignition barrel controls the immobiliser, it has nothing to do with the central locking remote fob. It would be very helpful to others on the forum if you can make sure that the information you give is accurate and not misleading.
Do you have any pointers to the cause? Could it be a central locking module and if so are they interchangeable?
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 23:41   #12
Volvo V70 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Yes, you are being stubborn - as mentioned above, the antenna ring around the ignition barrel controls the immobiliser, it has nothing to do with the central locking remote fob. It would be very helpful to others on the forum if you can make sure that the information you give is accurate and not misleading.

Luxobarge, and to all, do consider my help on this post as a "newbie" 's one, based only on his own experience. I'n mot a car repairer. If I have said misleading informations, sorry about that.

Regards.

VV70
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 08:43   #13
Volvo V70 diesel

Hy there,

I browsed my files this morning about my error. In 2011, I used to have a 850 GLT 2,5 20 V petrol. I had this problem. I changed the aerial ...and nothing. Someone suggested me then to have a look behind the driver's door panel. It's was a electrical issue about closing the door. I removed the part and then it was fine. I had forgotten the second part of this history.

All the best.

VV70
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 08:51   #14
britten_mark

Still no further forward with this due to lack of time but my monster home DIY project finsished yesterday woohoo so can get under the bonnet (or dash).

From reading back through dozens of theads with similar (but nor always exact) problems it sounds like I have to replace the remote ECU and either get my fobs recoded by Volvo or find a breaker with the same unit and fobs;

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=remote&page=3

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ghlight=remote

What a ball ache. I don't know if it makes any difference to the prognosis but every now and again when walking past my car on the drive I give the fob buttons a little press just to see if the Volvo pixies have magically fixed it. Two or three times when later getting back in the car I have found this casual button flip has been enough to set the alarm, but not the flashing red light on the dash. Opening the door sets off the alarm which has to be silenced by the key in the ignition.

One of the reasons I hang on to my Volvo is the lack of electrical gubbins, goodness knows what horrors I have to come when eventually updating to something from this century.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 15:14   #15
pff

If your 99 is anything like mine you will have a white central locking brain box hidden in the 'knee protector' of the drivers footwell and the 'antenna' for the central locking is a black box attached to the back of the CDM (the speedo basically). The antenna is region specific and I am led to believe that the part number for the antenna should only differ from the fob part number by one in the final digit but I can't point you to a source of that.

If you have swapped a fob and it stopped working then I would say you have broken that fob, however both fobs not working would point to something else as the problem.

The fob button should lock the car and set the alarm, you being taken by surprise is strange, you lock the car with the key and then set the alarm? I would have expected you would have heard it try to clunk and the red light not working?

I was going to suggest swapping the central locking antenna as the simplest (cheapest ~<10£ ebay) thing to test but it sounds as though your brain box might be on the way out. As the fobs are coded to the brain box if you can find a matching set with suitable part numbers (fobs match antenna otherwise replace that too!, brain box matches existing) it should be a drop in replacement but I don't know if it has been tried across different body types, certainly the wiring diagrams show some variations because of the number of locks/sensors etc but a v70 box should work, there has been a thread somewhere about it.

Certainly with the suggestion of a wiring issue above you might prefer to spend a while upside down with a wiring diagram and a multimeter before you take it to a dealer.

my understanding with the -00's is that you will need a software download (£££) but you do not need a brand new fob with the secret serial number code however I would be delighted to be corrected by someone who has experienced this first hand.
pff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pff For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 14:57   #16
britten_mark

So, do the fobs, antenna and brain box all have to be from the same car?

There are quite a few sellers (from Lithuania?) on Ebay selling a white topped box, described as a "receiver", is this the antennae, brainbox or both?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/f6YAAOSwv0tU7YCN/s-l1600.jpg"]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/f6YAAOSwv0tU7YCN/s-l1600.jpg"]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/f6YAAOSwv0tU7YCN/s-l1600.jpg

Sorry to be thick this is all new territory, hopefully never to be trod again!

Last edited by britten_mark; Nov 14th, 2017 at 15:00.
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 10:45   #17
pff

Ok, i'll tell you what I think I know but my experience is from a 2000 v70 so its a little different and a little strange.

I have a white box under the steering wheel which is the central locking brain box and does all the interior lights too I think. this holds the unique code from the fob and so is paired to the fob. Looking at the part number (#9172461) online https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...9/9472461.html
this is listed as fitting a '99 v70 so it might work (!?) but clearly says no longer available.
A black box that looks exactly the same and is marked the same except for the part number (#9172463) https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...0/9472463.html is what I get when I go through putting in my car details instead of searching for the part that is already there.

I don't know what the difference is, other than the colour.
I don't know if the part needs configured between models, if you can take e.g. a box from say a c70 coupe and expect it to work in a v70 without some reprogramming.

So one of these, or something that looks a lot like it is your brain box and should be as I say, under your steering wheel (RHD).

The antenna for the fob is listed as #9472724 and has a boring dull grey sticker and a big number 4 on it if you look at the pictures. This is where you have to be careful because the fobs are region specific and different countries use different frequencies. my box (in the uk) is #9472725 and has a lovely bright orange sticker with a big number 5 on it. the rest of the box is the same it has a single blue connector on one of the smallest sides.

So if you were going to replace the fobs you would need to find part 9172461 or 9172463 depending on what is in your car (or maybe it doesn't matter?) with a set of working fobs already coded to it that operate at a frequency that your antenna uses. (check the part number on your existing fobs to match). in theory.

I don't recognize the part that you posted a picture of, perhaps its a tilt sensor or something? the central locking computer has a huge (green?) connector with about 48 pins on it.

all of the above is pure speculation, again I'm happy to be corrected.
The Following User Says Thank You to pff For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 15:04   #18
pff

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten_mark View Post
So, do the fobs, antenna and brain box all have to be from the same car?
this thread
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123563
explains the situation much more eloquently than i have here
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 10:02   #19
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

My practical experience...

My car had one key and fob (only) when I bought it. Gulp! Hope I don't lose it!

But, in the "Sales" section, somebody was selling the module plus two fobs. I bought them!

From the practical point of view, I found that the location of the 'magic box' was easy to see under the dash; but physical problems with my back and hips (arthritis if you really must knew!) made it just about impossible for me to contort myself into an appropriate position. Add to that, I would have two fobs - but only one key. Soooooo... I chatted to my indy about needing a new key which he could order for me and the reasons why. With me being polite and him being a good indy, he received a new (spare) key which he could code to my car. I went to collect the key and explain my problems about changing the 'magic box'. He changed it, plugged into his computer, paired the keys and (after checking with me) 'removed' other key information. It seems that the 'magic box' can remember up to seven keys (?) and my new key was the seventh! So clear out the dross. All done in about 15 minutes.

He was happy to receive my 'old' module as 2nd-hand stock; so the final bill was something that was very satisfactory for both parties!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 10:26   #20
britten_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post

I don't recognize the part that you posted a picture of, perhaps its a tilt sensor or something? the central locking computer has a huge (green?) connector with about 48 pins on it.
Pardon me, the Ebay link didn't work. Its listed as "Volvo V70 Central Lock Remote Control Receiver 31252988"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-...%257Ciid%253A1