Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mpg

Views : 2024

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:15   #1
Landie Man

Default Mpg

I'm sure there are a fair few topics on this; but a quick half job search didn't yield anything!

How do we all cope with MPG? My Automatic 240GLT is my daily car and it is expected to do between 250-500 miles a week which it does without complaint. The biggest gripe is the MPG but I live with it, I find I can acheive 27-30MPG which is a good number for these cars. I don't potter about and sit at the speed limit, including on the motorway and I always use my overdrive (I spent the first two months switching it off as I thought the light meant it was on! Rookie Mistake. Ouch. I did 650 miles in one weekend on motorways too :-/), I don't carry too much weight in the car and generally use Premium fuel: BP Ultimate or Shell Nitro V Power+ which seems to really help the old girl.

Are there any good fuel additives? I've used Forté products which my mechanic mate swears by on other cars in the fleet with good results.

What do people do to make it more manageable? I do 15,000 miles a year roughly.
1978 Land Rover Series III 88" 2.25D - Long Restoration, Daily Driver of my young adulthood.
Landie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:26   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

27-30 mpg is very good for an auto - my previous one rarely did over 20 and like you I don't cane my cars. My current carb-equipped manual 240DL can almost meet your figures, and as I have to pay the bills daren't thrash it - not necessary as I can borrow my sons Mazda MX if I want that!
I don't do as many miles as you but have to do it all on the state plus my last firms pension, plus have to pay rent, so have to pare myself a bit lean!

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:52   #3
Landie Man

I think just drive as I mean too and I should be ok?!
1978 Land Rover Series III 88" 2.25D - Long Restoration, Daily Driver of my young adulthood.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 22:19   #4
Rustyboots

Electric fan conversion. A damn good service especially the ignition system so you get the most power from your petrol. Decent set of tyres with low rolling resistance. Thorough brake service including handbrake mechanism to eliminate any drag.
B200E manual, I average 37mpg on A-roads & motorways doing 400miles a week.
Rustyboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 09:26   #5
Landie Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyboots View Post
Electric fan conversion. A damn good service especially the ignition system so you get the most power from your petrol. Decent set of tyres with low rolling resistance. Thorough brake service including handbrake mechanism to eliminate any drag.
B200E manual, I average 37mpg on A-roads & motorways doing 400miles a week.
Thats not bad. I'm a B230E Auto
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 15:49   #6
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi Landieman - yes but what does your SWB LR do? I still hanker after a Landrover having had SII, SIII and Defender...)

So my 100k mile, manual 2.3 estate will do about 35-37mpg on a regular journey I do from London to Derby (about 150 miles). It's LH2.4 injection, has tyres with plenty of pressure in them, an electric cooling fan (Revotec conversion) and minimal junk in the car, regularly serviced (new air filter ea time and things like that). But to get that sort of figure I am driving at 60-65 mph... Sounds similar to Rustyboots in response above

To my mind there are two things which will always nobble a 240 for fuel consumption which are it's shape (wind resistance) and weight (build quality). The only way you can get high figures is to kid-glove the car. Around 60 mph is a critical speed where wind resistance increases exponentially

For a 1992 automatic B230F (2.3l engine) estate, Volvo quote the following figures: urban/21.2 mpg
56 mph/36.2 mpg
75mph/27.4 mpg

The numerical average of the two higher figures is at 65.5 mph you should get 31.8 mpg (obv it isn't a linear relationship). Volvo claim that the 2.3 is more economical than the 2.0 all round - I guess because of better power:weight ratio

I'll stop whittering now! Hope that helps. Enjoy the Volvo

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Lewin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 16:55   #7
Landie Man

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Lewin View Post
Hi Landieman - yes but what does your SWB LR do? I still hanker after a Landrover having had SII, SIII and Defender...)

So my 100k mile, manual 2.3 estate will do about 35-37mpg on a regular journey I do from London to Derby (about 150 miles). It's LH2.4 injection, has tyres with plenty of pressure in them, an electric cooling fan (Revotec conversion) and minimal junk in the car, regularly serviced (new air filter ea time and things like that). But to get that sort of figure I am driving at 60-65 mph... Sounds similar to Rustyboots in response above

To my mind there are two things which will always nobble a 240 for fuel consumption which are it's shape (wind resistance) and weight (build quality). The only way you can get high figures is to kid-glove the car. Around 60 mph is a critical speed where wind resistance increases exponentially

For a 1992 automatic B230F (2.3l engine) estate, Volvo quote the following figures: urban/21.2 mpg
56 mph/36.2 mpg
75mph/27.4 mpg

The numerical average of the two higher figures is at 65.5 mph you should get 31.8 mpg (obv it isn't a linear relationship). Volvo claim that the 2.3 is more economical than the 2.0 all round - I guess because of better power:weight ratio

I'll stop whittering now! Hope that helps. Enjoy the Volvo

Nick
Hi Nick, when the SIII was my everyday car, about 22-25mpg on diesel :-D:

Yeah in all honesty I don't really care about the MPG!
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 18:27   #8
volvo always
Premier Member

I haven't really lately checked the mpg figure for my 1989 240GLT estate or my 1996 940 lpt turbo. Both full of stuff.

My 940 did 75 miles on petrol and to put it back to half a tank to start cost £15.00. Haven't worked out mpg but the 940 seems more efficient. Both Auto. I also drive spirited.

Mileage on each.

240 237,000
940 189,000

James

Last edited by volvo always; Oct 30th, 2017 at 18:33.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 10:02   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Bin the viscous fan in favour of an electric fan with Mishimoto thermostatic control. It'll take a lot of load off the engine helping to improve acceleration and MPG.

Also, you wont need V Power in it. It wont do a great deal except burn a smidge cleaner but for the overall cost. You're not getting your moneys worth from it.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 11:10   #10
John Jenks

I've got a '79 265. If you want miserable M.P.G. upgrade to one of these! I haven't long had it and I knew it would be a thirsty old bus, but bloody hell! I didn't realise HOW thirsty. I've serviced it and I have just dropped it off at the garage to be tuned and set up correctly. Really hope it makes a reasonable difference. I was thinking and electric fan conversion would help as when I pulled up at home the other night my son came to the front door and stuck his head out because he thought a road sweeper had pulled up outside! I'm only getting 12-15 no matter how I drive it. Here's hoping!
John Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote