Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo screenwash - who makes it?

Views : 3318

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2017, 11:04   #11
Tony427

If you have access to the chemicals you could make your own.

You will need methanol at a concentration suitable to prevent freezing, 10% good down to -7 degrees centigrade , 20% good to -25 c, a small amount of detergent, a food dye for the colour, a small amount say 3% of Propylene Glycol ( antifreeze) and water.

You can use Isopropyl alcohol instead of the the methanol if required but you may require slightly more to get the anti freeze effect.

Cheers,
Tony
Tony427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 17:06   #12
Lou Ferrigno

Clan says in an earlier post "It is spirit based , it burns with an almost invisible blue flame just like Methylated spirit".

Well years ago, Methylated Spirit is just what we used to put into the windscreen washer fluid. I still have glass "Boots", bottle in which it was kept.

My first car didn't have washers but I fitted them as an accessory, the water container was a polythene bag and the whole kit was manufactured by Trico.

Our V40 has washer fluid from the supermarket and never had a problem.
Our Corsa however, using the same stuff has on occasion blocked the washer bottle filter with a congealed mess.
Lou Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 18:26   #13
Munro83

I use Halfords screen wash depending on the temp it’s the berry scented or citrus scent. What’s your thought on them? I have used them for a couple years with no issue
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 19:26   #14
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby606 View Post
Thanks all.

Just bought more, really wish they made it in bigger containers. I also, measured the contents, 880ml :S

I might look into the Volvo Trucks/Construction Equipment options as I'm sure they sell 5L containers, if not larger.
My dealer can get 5litre jacks if I order it with him. Not a stock item for him as so few ask for them, sure a lot of cars locally only have their washers topped up when they go in for a service.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 20:02   #15
Ryan69
built like a tank.

I use Prestone used to use Holt's same mob never had it freeze yet and has an additive to make the water fling off like a scene from star wars.
Ryan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 15:41   #16
DeeJay
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
I use Halfords screen wash depending on the temp it’s the berry scented or citrus scent. What’s your thought on them? I have used them for a couple years with no issue
I too use Halfrauds, the purpley coloured "berry" type, diluted 50/50 for normal conditions and neat when the temp is forecast to dip below about -5. It's o.k generally although I find it doesn't really clean the screen as there is still a slight film of something on the screen. I'm not saying it is unsafe to drive by any means but it doesn't give a really clean screen as older types used to some years ago. Would a quick squirt of wash-up liquid do harm to the glass?
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 16:53   #17
Tony427

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay View Post
I too use Halfrauds, the purpley coloured "berry" type, diluted 50/50 for normal conditions and neat when the temp is forecast to dip below about -5. It's o.k generally although I find it doesn't really clean the screen as there is still a slight film of something on the screen. I'm not saying it is unsafe to drive by any means but it doesn't give a really clean screen as older types used to some years ago. Would a quick squirt of wash-up liquid do harm to the glass?
That "film" is probably the Ethelyne, or hopefully more likely, Propolyne Glycol thats sometimes added to antifreeze to stop slush forming in the lines and jets.

A quick squirt of washing up liquid or any detergent will not harm the glass and will aid in cleaning the screen. Screenwash should have a detergent in it in any event.

Cheers,

Tony
Tony427 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony427 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 15:25   #18
daiphil

Free one litre bottle of screenwash if front wiper blades bought before 31 January, in "my Volvo offers."
And free fitting.
daiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 16:26   #19
Dancake
Premier Member

Genuine ready mixed Volvo screenwash can be purchased from most truck/heavy transport factors. The part number is 85129549 for the 5 litre bottle, and it does down to -20°C.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 16:55   #20
green van man
Premier Member

The retail price is £4 a litre but talk to your dealer as many sell it for less and some will do a bulk discount if you buy 5 litres.

The concentrate only comes in small sachetts or litres the pre mix comes in 4 litre jacks.

It's good stuff and both my cars run on it, need to negotiate a price with the dealer. The empty bottles also have use, the tops are well sealed and I have used them for chemical storage in the darkroom with no evaporation. I would not hesitate to use them for top up fluids such as coolant or oil after washing and drying and carry them in the car.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: