Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is this acceptable on an ex-demo/nearly new £36k car?

Views : 2782

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 21:49   #21
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Blimey- a good mix of views on this one for sure!

Due to speak to dealer tomorrow, so will see how that concludes...

In the meantime, no more justification either way from me- I'm winding my neck in for now!
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 22:15   #22
deepsix

If you put the car's registration number in a google image search it might come up with some photos from press/media/magazine shoots of your car being tested.
"Management" cars does not mean only used by top Volvo management!

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 00:43   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendahornking View Post
That tyre is dangerous end of. Go back and demand the tyre's replaced.
Any damage to the sidewall is very dangerous, cuts in particular. It can't be repaired in a safe manner, so the tyre should be binned.

Take a few more detailed Pic's and inform the stealer in writing that the vehicle is not fit for purpose and you expect your money back unless the replace the tyre concerned with another of exactly the same type. Alas they can use a matching used tyre in the same condition.

Keep a copy of all mails and letters just in case you have to take the stealer to a local small claims court, which can be done mostly online.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 10:26   #24
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Any damage to the sidewall is very dangerous, cuts in particular. It can't be repaired in a safe manner, so the tyre should be binned.

Take a few more detailed Pic's and inform the stealer in writing that the vehicle is not fit for purpose and you expect your money back unless the replace the tyre concerned with another of exactly the same type. Alas they can use a matching used tyre in the same condition.

Keep a copy of all mails and letters just in case you have to take the stealer to a local small claims court, which can be done mostly online.
The car's tyre has been inspected and declared safe. There is no sidewall damage (as opposed to a chunk of non-structural rubber having been removed).
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 11:08   #25
Munro83

£36k car and all this over a £100 tyre? Ok replace the pair it’s still hardly a fortune in ratio to the car sale- by the way that apply to both seller and buyer.

Personally I don’t think you have a case. I understand it’s annoying- is there any damage to alloy?

I’ve never spent that amount on a car before but if I did I would expect perfection- before I signed and drove off.

Think you might just need to take this one on the chin

Last edited by Munro83; Dec 8th, 2017 at 13:21.
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Munro83 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 12:41   #26
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I opened this thread expecting to see some significant issue such as bent panel, smoking exhaust, ripped leather seat or something substantive and instead I find 3 pages on a cosmetic mark on the outside of a tyre which has been accepted as safe to drive - and we have all sorts of replies about rejecting the car, small claims court, etc.

I think some people need to get real and see this for what it is, especially as there is no way of proving where or when the damage happened.

The solution is simply that either both parties pay 50% of a new tyre - which remember isn't actually required, as accepted by both parties or the new owner sucks it up - after all, even a new tyre could get damaged beyond repair immediately after fitting requiring purchase of another tyre.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 13:21   #27
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Just as when picking up a hire car, it's always wise to perform a check for damage before signing the paperwork otherwise you haven't really got a leg to stand on. Last time I hired a van, it was literally brand new with just 14 miles on the clock yet there was a chunk of paint missing on side panel which I photographed & had it noted on the hire agreement that this was pre-existing damage.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 14:43   #28
domhart10
Volvo S40

One of my tires look like that. But I did buy it second hand, dealer thought it was fine, indy garage thought it was fine .... tires have held their air well and ride well and I use them for daily driving and track days. So I highly doubt you will have a problem with those unless you are rally driving

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 16:28   #29
bobby2000
VOC Member

I would at the very least move it to the rear axle.
If the tyre company say it's not illegal and you didn't spot the damage before leaving the forcourt, I'm not sure that you have a leg to stand on.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 19:25   #30
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Thats a nasty chunk out of the tyre, looks awful - but - its from the rim protector, which has done its job of protecting the rim from a kerb. As I understand it, that is a cosmetic nasty. IF its got tyre black all over it done by the garage, they should have replaced it with a new one the same. The valeter will just do as hes told, or else, no point in him mentioning it. Car dealers are all w@nk3rs only interested in profit.
Leave it where it is, wear out the front tyres, replace as required.

Repeat business - theyve just has £32 thou off you, how likely are you to be spending that sort of dosh ANYWHERE next year ? The salesman will probably have moved on long before your car does.

NEVER put a suspect tyre on the rear. Its another subject, but in a nutshell, lose grip on the front, we all lift off throttle, grip returns. Lose grip on the back, car goes into hedge/ditch/oncoming lorry. Get my drift ?
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post: