Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is this acceptable on an ex-demo/nearly new £36k car?

Views : 2763

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2017, 14:12   #31
Welton
Premier Member

I would say even IF the dealer agreed to replace the tyre with another Pirelli they would probably only swap a tyre/wheel from another motor in their stock anyway. The next punter might not even notice or care about that chunk missing.

I'm hoping their own or some other qualified MOT Tester has a quick nose at that tyre and if he deemed it ok then they have been compliant, like others have said; once you leave the premises your tyres can suffer all kinds of damage and who's to say who did it then?

Feel sorry for car dealers sometimes, they run a business and need to make money, they're not there solely to rip people off. If you were in business shifting 200 cars a month with low margins there's bound to be a few mishaps and things getting missed - that's just people for you.

I bought my car from a Volvo dealer and paid extra for the paintguard protection thing, I later had severe reservations that anyone went anywhere near the paintwork because I clayed the surface myself and picked up loads of rubbish from the surface...........you live and learn.

I don't work in that industry btw!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)

Last edited by Welton; Dec 11th, 2017 at 14:23.
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 14:58   #32
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

What was the outcome OP?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 16:43   #33
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
What was the outcome OP?
They never called back... Which I guess clarifies their stance. With the first service due in February, and included within the deal- I am not looking to burn bridges with the dealer- hence my reluctance to refer to them directly- (although, as pointed out by others, I have referred to them by name in a previous thread).

Anyway, this has provoked some interesting debate; with the important lesson being to always conduct a full inspection- even when the car is nearly new.

As for me- the most important thing is that the car is deemed safe to drive. I am winding my neck in- not going to let this ruin my enjoyment of what has so far proven to be a cracking car- especially given that we have had 8" of snow here.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 16:50   #34
NigelDay
Premier Member

So a more interesting question might be, how is the AWD car handling on summer tyres ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 17:57   #35
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
So a more interesting question might be, how is the AWD car handling on summer tyres ?
Much better than my old RWD BMW on summer tyres!

Actually doing quite well. The extra traction of an additional driven axle makes a lot of difference. However- it is still rather slippery with it; obviously due to summer tyres. It hasn't stopped us getting anywhere yet- and we live in a very rural area, so lots of back roads. But definitely considering winter tyres...
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 18:19   #36
NigelDay
Premier Member

All-seasons are the way to go, especially for AWD cars. Check post #49 here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=253704&page=5
I too have Nokian Weatherproofs, but Goodyear and Michelin also score highly (although the Michelin is not so good in snow).
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:45   #37
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudmaster View Post
Much better than my old RWD BMW on summer tyres!

Actually doing quite well. The extra traction of an additional driven axle makes a lot of difference. However- it is still rather slippery with it; obviously due to summer tyres. It hasn't stopped us getting anywhere yet- and we live in a very rural area, so lots of back roads. But definitely considering winter tyres...
This is not a high bar, given BMW's legendary lack of prowess in the snow!
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 06:48   #38
green van man
Premier Member

AWD, 4 WD is great for getting you going. Just remember you've still got to stop it which is often the difficult bit.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 08:04   #39
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post

I bought my car from a Volvo dealer and paid extra for the paintguard protection thing, I later had severe reservations that anyone went anywhere near the paintwork because I clayed the surface myself and picked up loads of rubbish from the surface...........you live and learn.

I don't work in that industry btw!
we bought Mrs B's Skoda estate from the Car Shop and paid for GardX to be applied. When I washed it for the first time, it was obvious to me that while the water streamed off most of the car, not so the roof. (It's quite a tall car, with roof rails). Anyway, I phoned them, and they immediately agreed to do it again, obviously FOC. The bonus was we got another bag of GardX goodies.

We've had the car two years now, and even though I used the Conserver, the GardX has lost its effectiveness, so in the autumn I bit the bullet, clayed it to remove as much of the GardX as I could, and gave it a good coat of AG's SRP and EGP.

Apologies for straying a tad off topic.

Last edited by Baxlin; Dec 12th, 2017 at 08:10.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 14:03   #40
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
All-seasons are the way to go, especially for AWD cars. Check post #49 here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=253704&page=5
I too have Nokian Weatherproofs, but Goodyear and Michelin also score highly (although the Michelin is not so good in snow).
I fitted Michelin Cross Climate to my wife's Saab 9-5 a couple of years ago, and have nothing but good things to say. They grip well in all temperatures, they shift water well, and considering it's a FWD Aero version, pulling away on ice isn't TOO fraught...
If I could have had them fitted to the XC60 from new instaed of the factory-fit Contis I'd have had them on it in a heartbeat.
But I ended up buying a nice second-hand set of alloys with Nokian winters, which are now on.
Enjoy the V90CC - good-looking car - just not quite high enough to climb in and out of for me....:-)