Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

washers nozzles and wing mirror frozen this morning

Views : 3862

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2017, 22:02   #21
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
50-50 mix of volvo fluid protects to -28 C then you don't need heated jets ... The heated jets cant melt frozen fluid in the pipes and pump ..
They cant, but the alcohol boils off at the jets leaving the water (no screenwash is 100% alcohol) and then they freeze,

Its cold up here, I know from experience. You can cover them with a towel overnight if not heated though if its really cold they will freeze again.

If I can....I get heated jets, that and good concentrate and youre done. And like the post above, with headlamp washers you can easily get through 5 litres to a tank of gas, I carry 5 litres in the boot winter (well except earlier this week when i ran out!)
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 23:56   #22
molsal

I use Comma winter screen wash 50/50 ( £10 for 5litres delivered from amazon) , I live in the Dales and it has never let me down, we were at - 8 this week , I don't have heated jets. The cleaning power of Holts is the best I've come across for winter use. Spring through autumn I use Sonax concentrate , which is on another level.

Last edited by molsal; Dec 14th, 2017 at 02:21.
molsal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to molsal For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 09:09   #23
Deadloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
I use Comma winter screen wash 50/50 ( £10 for 5litres delivered from amazon) , I live in the Dales and it has never let me down, we were at - 8 this week , I don't have heated jets. The cleaning power of Holts is the best I've come across for winter use. Spring through autumn I use Sonax concentrate , which is on another level.
I saw the Comma wash on my googling too. Good to get feedback on it.
Thanks.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 11:42   #24
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
Molsal, I thought the Winter Pack included heated washer jets on the XC60.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 18:06   #25
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
It might sound silly but pure antifreeze freezes at a higher temperature than diluted antifreeze

best mix is around 65/35 antifreeze/water
This is physical chemistry at work. This mixture is known a eutectic mixture and results from the interplay of intermolecular forces in solution and the way the formation of a solid crystalline structure is inhibited by the presence of impurities.
It's the same principle as adding salt to water to lower the freezing point.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 19:09   #26
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Now there is a term that had escaped from my memory - I cannot recall the last time I used the word eutectic in conversation. I think it would last have been used when sitting exams in metallurgy and talking about alloys

Happy days - were they are now with the benefits of rose tinted glasses
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 08:06   #27
Mick787

I noticed one comment in this thread, that a contributor had switched off the folding mirrors, surely the mechanisms involved can cope with the UK winters? Ours are nothing like those experienced in the Nordic regions.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 09:52   #28
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
I noticed one comment in this thread, that a contributor had switched off the folding mirrors, surely the mechanisms involved can cope with the UK winters? Ours are nothing like those experienced in the Nordic regions.
Not if you’ve any mechanical sympathy as the noise is horrible, and they can stick 3/4 of the way out.

I think possibly the UK may have a wetter cold climate with more ice forming as a result than drier Nordic regions with drier air. - THis is likely BS, its only a guess!
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 10:41   #29
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
I think possibly the UK may have a wetter cold climate with more ice forming as a result than drier Nordic regions with drier air. - THis is likely BS, its only a guess!
That indeed is probably the reason. It is the constant freeze-thaw cycle we get here which causes both damage and accidents (black ice). We have not had much snow up here but the untreated roads are lethal because some thawing (which then washes the salt off) has been followed by freezing.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 12:23   #30
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
That indeed is probably the reason. It is the constant freeze-thaw cycle we get here which causes both damage and accidents (black ice). We have not had much snow up here but the untreated roads are lethal because some thawing (which then washes the salt off) has been followed by freezing.
Tell me about it, black ice everywhere. Foobared leg as a result as well
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote