Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo with a few questions

Views : 650

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2017, 10:25   #1
James2k2

Default New to Volvo with a few questions

Hi all,

I've just become the proud owner of an S60 D5 R-design Lux Nav 2014, but have a few questions! Apologies already if these have been asked many a time before.

So after some reading I've found out I need to take it to a dealer to remove the USB nav update activation code thing but have just been quoted £120 Inc vat. Is this a good price?

How do I make keyless entry work on the main doors? Works fine on the boot, and keyless start/stop works fine.

And finally... I know this has been discussed but links were either dead or the websites made no sense anymore, but speed camera warnings? How do I get them please, or will they come with the aforementioned nav update? Mine has the all digital dash with the sign reading thing, but this isn't good enough really as I've found it picking up speed signs for side roads as well.

Cheers,
James
James2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 12:26   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

The general consensus is that paying for the USB activation update might not be the best use of £120. If you are really bothered about the latest roads (and need to be up-to-date) then a Garmin or TomTom (or Google Maps) is a better option. Plus, these other devices offer far more functionality than you get with Sensus. Check these reviews out.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...up-test-review
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 16:31   #3
Rocinante
Master Member

With regard to the keyless entry, I'm afraid that it's a common fault on these cars, they only seem to last a couple of years before failing.

There are a couple of threads on here relating to it if you care to look them out, but it will require repair work to get them operating again. I think it's possibly new door handles you need, or maybe a new 'loom' is required. There might be new and improved parts available that last longer than a couple of years.

The boot and starting still work, as obviously it doesn't use the same faulty parts as the doors.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 17:42   #4
James2k2

Hi both,

Thanks for your input. As for the keyless entry on the front doors I can have that fixed if it's faulty for free as I bought it from a dealer with warranty. So if it is genuinely faulty then I just need to make sure I'm not being an idiot and using it wrong first (like wrong settings in the system). As for the built in sat nav, I agree it's not as good as my old cars system was (which was based on TomTom) but the point of me getting one with this spec was to have everything built in (as I've been used to as well) as I absolutely can't stand having to get cables out, attach a windscreen mount and then have to hide it all when I've parked up (I have trust issues with leaving stuff out in cars after two previous break ins). So really, is £120 a reasonable price, or should I enquire at another dealer venue. My nearest one is Stoneacre.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 18:14   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Given that even if you pay the £120 to get the USB enabled you will be no future forward as there are no map updates available for you to update the SatNav - the updated online maps don’t cover your car (yet and there doesn’t seem to be Shirley to update them) why not just bite the bullet if you really need an updated map, for the little it provides, by purchasing the DVD which comes with the activation code from the dealer?

You will unfortunately still have a crap satnav system but it will be ‘up to date’ - but be aware that it seems to take them 2 or 3 years to get major rod updates such as Hindhead Tunnel onto the mapping database I question the value of any update, and postcodes are even slower to get updated or fixed.

Google maps on the phone is however updated regularly.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 09:28   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

I don't have maps installed in the car, so can't comment on the Volvo system or value for money of the updates, so like wimorrison, I use google on my phone and find it very good, but can understand why you want to use the car one.

Regarding the keyless entry, I'm pretty sure you can't set it to only open the boot. So it definitely sounds faulty to me, and matches the symptoms of the common fault. If you go into settings, you can set it to open only your door, or all doors, and I think each side is selectable. In trying to resolve this people sometimes suggest low battery in the fob or your mobile in your pocket was interfering with it, so can try this but I think this is just people trying to resolve the fault with car.

Worst case scenario, is that you take it to the dealer, and they say this is how it works, no harm done, it's a new car to you, and if the dealer was any good in the first place they would have introduced you to the car.

Regarding the fix, things to watch out for.
When I bought the car, none of the doors worked, much like yourself. However, I noticed before I bought it. The Volvo dealer agreed to fix before purchase, after first suggesting that this was how it was supposed to work. When I collected the car, it appeared to be working, however it was only later that I noticed that they had only fixed the driver’s side, it had to go back several times to fix the passenger side. So make sure they fix both sides.

Regarding the actual fix, as I said, when I picked it up, the driver’s side had been fixed, but the passenger side had to go back at least twice if not three times, before it was working, with parts being needed. The driver’s side is now failing, 2 years on. I wasn’t party to what exactly was done, but in hindsight I suspect, that the driver’s side was a repair, and the passenger side, judging by the number of visits, was fixed properly with the new improved parts installed as they couldn't get the repair to work, hence the multiple visits. But it is only my suspicion, and the passenger side may fail in due course, as I obviously use the driver’s side more often. So if I was you I would check what they are doing to fix it, and if new improved parts are available that these are installed.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 22:32   #7
James2k2

Thanks again to the replies!

OK, so what's the date of the update that's currently available via USB? Do we know at all? Like you say, possibly no point if it's not up to date. In my old car (2010 Renault Laguna Coupe), it had an SD card and was £40 for a years worth of updates (issued quarterly) and you just used myTomTom to update it! Very easy!

And yeah it sounds like keyless entry is buggered then. I'll definitely contact them to get it sorted if they can. The problem is the dealer I got it from is based about 35 miles from me. But worth contacting them as they didn't mention it in the sale.

Really appreciate the comments.