Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What oil would you recommend? (1991 740 2.0)

Views : 1039

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2017, 17:40   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default What oil would you recommend? (1991 740 2.0)

Hi all,
I want to change the oil and filter on my ‘91 740 2.0 estate as I’ve covered a couple of thousand miles in it since I bought it a couple of weeks ago, and although it was serviced a couple of months before I bought it, I’m aware that it’s done granny cycle duty for the last 16yrs and I’ve been doing motorway miles, so I’m sure I’ve stirred up plenty of gunk that hasn’t been disturbed for a long while.

What oil would you folks recommend? It’s done 173,000 and doesn’t burn or use much oil at all-it’s stayed at the top of the stick since I’ve owned it.

I know Volvo recommend GTX 10w40 but obviously it’s 26yrs old and lubrication Tech has come on a lot in that time!

Cheers
Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 00:42   #2
Jebus
VOC Member

I use Shell HX7 10w40 in mine, its a good quality semi synthetic, not expensive and done to the spec.

If it isn't using oil, and its not tar like I wouldn't worry, maybe just do a few short interval changes to gently flush the gunk away and worry not after that

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 07:59   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd also recommend a semi-synth 10W40 :

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...4211&1&cc5_245

Their current promo code is "SAVE33" which will probably save you a few quid as well.

That's a good oil and it seems very well suited to my 88 760, i've heard good reports about it in other engines as well.

Don't be tempted by the Triple QX version (ECPs own brand), i used to use this but lately it has made my engines smoky and i've heard rumours that ECP have used recycled oil as a consituent part of it - whether there is any truth in that rumour i can't be sure but i do know it made 3 previously smoke-free engines very smoky and it disappeared instantly when i changed the oil to the Gulf stuff.

If you want to give your engine a gentle clean inside and give the oil seals a bit of a helping hand then add about 0.5L of ATF-U to the engine oil a few hundred miles before doing the oil and filter change, then when you're doing the oil/filter change, use about the same amount when filling the engine with new oil.
In other words, if you need to put in a total of 5L of fresh oil, add 4.5L of 10W40 and 0.5L of ATF-U.
It will help to keep things running cleanly and smoothly and revive any weak oil seals.

As for GTX 10W40, it's a good oil but it's smelly, even on a car with no oil leaks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 11:40   #4
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd also recommend a semi-synth 10W40 :

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...4211&1&cc5_245

Their current promo code is "SAVE33" which will probably save you a few quid as well.

That's a good oil and it seems very well suited to my 88 760, i've heard good reports about it in other engines as well.

Don't be tempted by the Triple QX version (ECPs own brand), i used to use this but lately it has made my engines smoky and i've heard rumours that ECP have used recycled oil as a consituent part of it - whether there is any truth in that rumour i can't be sure but i do know it made 3 previously smoke-free engines very smoky and it disappeared instantly when i changed the oil to the Gulf stuff.

If you want to give your engine a gentle clean inside and give the oil seals a bit of a helping hand then add about 0.5L of ATF-U to the engine oil a few hundred miles before doing the oil and filter change, then when you're doing the oil/filter change, use about the same amount when filling the engine with new oil.
In other words, if you need to put in a total of 5L of fresh oil, add 4.5L of 10W40 and 0.5L of ATF-U.
It will help to keep things running cleanly and smoothly and revive any weak oil seals.

As for GTX 10W40, it's a good oil but it's smelly, even on a car with no oil leaks!
I might get some of that Gulf oil for my 740 if you reckon it's good. I normally use a quality 10/40 semi synthetic in it, and did in my old one too.
The current one I've been using the cheapo ECP TripleQX as a flushing oil. The car had been sat for two years unused and I don't think it'd been serviced for much longer than that either so I've been using TripleQX to flush the engine out, changed regularly. It doesn't seem to be the best oil ever tbh...

I'll get some of that Gulf stuff I think and I've got a genuine Volvo filter already, since it's about as clean now as it's going to get.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 05:02   #5
c1800
Master Member

The forums of the world are littered with recommendations about oil. It seems to be thus “I use this, it’s very good!”.

Synthetics are the the best. Pick one and go with it. I use Mobil.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 07:58   #6
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
The forums of the world are littered with recommendations about oil. It seems to be thus “I use this, it’s very good!”.

Yeah, this. Bear in mind two things:

1- the engine was designed over 40 years ago, and built at least 20 years ago. A very latest spec oil designed to lube highly stressed forced induction engines at high rpm is kinda wasted on a B230XX

2 - Most B230XX engines are 100,000 miles old or more. They have built up carbon and oil solids, varnishes and lord only knows what else drifting around or adhering to their internals. Like sleeping dogs, this stuff is often best left. Low detergent is a key feature here.

Upshot - if the oil is reliably rated at SF (API) or better and on special somewhere, go with it. Frequent changes are more value than high cost, high spec oils.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 08:19   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

In my old 240 (now sold) I used 10/40 for a while, Made no noticeable difference to running with a mineral ( which, let's face it they were designed to use). Stayed with the semi for a good few years .
Then I put 100% in my N/A 850. After a while it began a top end knock on start ups . Especially bad after a few days of standing .
Based on advice on here, the 100% was too thin for an N/A , turbo models yes , N/A no.
I switched back and after a good few miles all went quiet again. The car is with a mate now and still good.
Based on that theory, I switched back to a mineral on my 240 for the last 3-4 years of owning and it ran great.
Owning the 200 for 14 yrs, 148k - 215k and 850 for 8 yrs, 138k to over 200k. (Clock died) in my experience, go with the recommended spec of oil , make? Your choice go with what you can afford, so long as it meets the spec'.
More important, regular changes. I go for 6k Max changes on my cars.
Good luck, it's a red block after all is said.... It'll still be going for many years if you just do it regularly
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 09:48   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post

For modern engines, yes they probably are. The molecules in synthetics are much smaller than mineral oils which allows them to creep into places mineral oil may not get. The fact is this would have been taken into account when designing the red block engines so those places almost certainly don't need lubrication.

By the same token, they very often don't have the cling properties that a mineral oil has. Older engines rely on this for start up lubrication as witnessed by the top end knock on Pauls 850 above.

These days good mineral oils are few and far between and tend to be expensive. Semi-synthetics seem to still have the cling properties of a mineral while providing the benefit of staying in grade longer.

For the engines in the majority of our cars, a semi-synth is the best compromise.

Another good point is the amount of detergents in a straight synthetic. As Ash rightly points out, over a high mileage there will be a build up of carbon, gum and so on and very often this is best left exactly where it is. If a bit of internal cleaning is needed, then add some synthetic ATF to the engine oil. Two-fold benefit, it has "Seal-Swell" which helps revive the various seals and condition them and also certain detergents to very gently clean the engine.

I frequently recommend and use this myself with a semi-synth 10W40 and if there's no reason for cleaning or otherwise adding the ATF (for example it's brilliant at sorting hydraulic lifters) then it's just a straight oil and filter change every 6-12 months depending on mileage.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 17:41   #9
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks all! My local EPC has a sale on on Petronas Syntium 10w40 semi synth, so I’ll pick some of that up and change it this week.

Is there a particular brand of filter that I need to use? I remember reading that there are some that don’t have the anti-draindown one way valve and should be avoided, but I can’t remember which ones!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 21:17   #10
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Mann filters have the non return valve. Cheaper than Volvo (sometimes) and rumour has it that they make the Volvo OE filter. You won't go wrong with Mann ( or a Volvo one of course ).
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: