Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reduced Engine Performance

Views : 2764

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 16:56   #1
KeBa

Default Reduced Engine Performance

I have posted a previous thread indicating 'Low Engine Performance' but have received no repiles. The problem has just happened again and is 'Reduced Engine Performance'.
This has happened about 5 times, just after starting up and pulling away. Can anyone shed any light on this problem and suggest a possible cause?
KeBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 20:46   #2
7050man
Master Member

can you give meore details.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 20:50   #3
stevo48
Premier Member

Possible air leak from vac pipe?
Split air intake pipe?
Blocked injector?
Faulty plug coil?
Tired lambda sensor?
Fouled throttle housing?
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 21:30   #4
Guru
Premier Member

Turbo Control Valve?
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 22:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

the only guide is to get the stored fault codes read and let us know , a remedy will then be forthcoming :-)
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 21:31   #6
KeBa

Thanks for your reply.

The car I have is a S40 (05) plate and the warning light showing 'reduced engine performance' is the problem. This has occured a couple of times, just after starting up, it is hard to explain, the car still goes but the engine doesn;t sound as smooth and feels to lose power. When I stop and restart, the problem clears? It is a bit of a mystery, Volvo say wait until something more permanent happens. I was looking for a little insight into what could be the possible cause.
KeBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 22:16   #7
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Is it petrol or diesel?
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 22:31   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Thats not a helpful attitude from them is it . They should read the fault codes and act upon them ...
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 22:45   #9
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thats not a helpful attitude from them is it . They should read the fault codes and act upon them ...
'Wait until something more permanant happens?' What like you require the car to produce full power in an emergency and it doesn't ending in a collision.

Typical of main dealer shoddy customer service these days, shame your not closer to MRG Chippenham so you could experience some proper customer service.
Without sounding like I'm echoing the above, Clan is right on the button as ever, the stored fault code would help a lot as it/they would no doubt point to an intermittent fault which is putting the car into 'limp home' mode but then going away allowing that car to clear it, although they still store them, and return to normal running and without them diagnosis is nigh on impossible and your chasing second guesses which can get expensive.

Gaz
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:39   #10
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocomplaints1977 View Post
'Wait until something more permanant happens?' What like you require the car to produce full power in an emergency and it doesn't ending in a collision.

Typical of main dealer shoddy customer service these days, shame your not closer to MRG Chippenham so you could experience some proper customer service.
Without sounding like I'm echoing the above, Clan is right on the button as ever, the stored fault code would help a lot as it/they would no doubt point to an intermittent fault which is putting the car into 'limp home' mode but then going away allowing that car to clear it, although they still store them, and return to normal running and without them diagnosis is nigh on impossible and your chasing second guesses which can get expensive.

Gaz
£57 spent on one of those BSR diagnostic tools being offer by Nordic Direct, would seem to be money well spent if you ask me.