Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp adjustment

Views : 22111

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 19:28   #11
Frank B

Thanks Martin. Could not be clearer than that, I will give it a go tomorrow.

Frank
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 17:37   #12
Frank B

Hi Martin

Found it ! Not easy to find even with your clear instructions, many thanks

Frank
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 19:16   #13
John_evmk

Smile Headlamp adjustment for european driving

Thanks Martin42 for the advice - I had got as far as taking the headlamp units out and could see the back could be removed but I thought that the manuak would have at least mentioned this rather than just showing the useles drawing that they did.
John_evmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 15:11   #14
jrrose

Talking Headlight adjustment

Martin 42 you are a hero! About to go to France on Wednesday and this job literally took me 5 mins with your instructions. As others had said the manual is useless. I did find it easier to unclip the wires and take the whole headlight out as the leaver to pull forward is tricky to get to.

Thanks again
jrrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrrose For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:53   #15
voles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin42 View Post
Right, sorted this as I had to also do if for an upcoming holiday. The picture in the manual is useless, but I finally figured out how to do this. First you need to take the headlight assebly out. This is actually very easy to do. You first need to pull out the 2 silver retaining mechanisms that hold the housing in place. These just pull out. Next pull the housing as far as the cable will let you. You then need to remove the plastic cover from the back of the unit. Don't forget to move the wire clip first. Then inside the unit, you will see the main headlight unit, and along side it is a silver metal "switch". You need to pull this towards the back of the unit. This will set the patten for Europe.

You then need to do the other side

Hope this helps.

This only works for the Xenon headlights. Normal headlights will need to use the plastic masks applied to the headlights.
Thanks for this but aren't the lights very hot when you have been driving for a while? It just occurred to me that you would have let the lamps cool down first - so you couldn't exactly carry out the task on eurotunnel for example. However, I suppose the DRLs don't make any difference and I would only need to panic for night driving?

I have a MY10 XC70 but it still has the same miserable diagram in the manual! I am very jealous of XC90 drivers who only need to hold a switch down on their dash (or so I understand).
voles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 21:45   #16
jrrose

Default Headlight Adjustment

Wow this was an old post. As for the heat - you are nowhere near the light so not hot. I have been away this year too and I change the alignment whilst in the queue at the ferry port. This is normally after 5 hours of driving and the headlamps are cold.
jrrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 10:12   #17
XC70Owner

Default Thanks!

After an official memo from Volvo NL and several pictures provided by a very helpful Volvo garage here in NL, this picture finally did it. I am now in the UK and got the ligts adjusted correctly. Still wondering why Volvo opted for a manual adjustment though ... Many thanks!
XC70Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 13:16   #18
XC70Owner

Default Re: Thanks (headlights adjustment)

... missing from my previous post: thanks to Martin42's picture http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...light=Martin42
XC70Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 16:07   #19
mzjfb7

Default UK 2012 reg XC70 SE lux - Active Bi-Xenon

Hi
Heading off to Europe soon and just checked car again (UK 2012 reg XC70 SE lux - Active (bending) Bi-Xenon) , as I had do to do this on my previous 07 model (Bi-Xenon).

On my current car it still has the lever adjustment inside the Headlamp housing, similar to the picture above. Not sure if the 'Flat beam' negates having to do this or not, but as I have a lever then I might as well change it!
mzjfb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 08:28   #20
pete_rallye

Quick thanks from me sitting at Dover wondering how I adjust the headlights without the usual adjuster dial that i used to have on my old 52 V70! Might be worth pointing out that the lever is on the same side on each headlamp (ie its not a mirror image) and I found the lever much harder to see on the drivers side than the passenger!
pete_rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pete_rallye For This Useful Post: