Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp adjustment

Views : 22032

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2016, 22:08   #21
benplunkett

Whilst searching for how to do this I came across this thread - thanks Martin42 for the image!

I also found a video showing the procedure if it's of use to anyone!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
benplunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benplunkett For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 17:06   #22
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Thanks for the vid.

Strange how the 'updated' newer version of the bendy xenons doesn't have that option in the menu?! Unless the engine has to be off for it to show in the menu or something silly like that

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 01:00   #23
Semnoz

I've just tried this out in preparation for driving to the Alps next week.

It does seem to work, not that I ever doubted Volvo

A couple of photos to show the difference:

Default / UK setting:

Levers pulled outwards / Europe setting:

Bulbs are Osram Night Breaker Unlimited Xenarc 4350K
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 10:48   #24
GrantA
Master Member

Yes moving the "levers" worked on my MY09 XC70 and I drove around France for a year when we lived there, never got flashed or stopped by Gendarme for incorrect headlights.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 20:15   #25
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Yes moving the "levers" worked on my MY09 XC70 and I drove around France for a year when we lived there, never got flashed or stopped by Gendarme for incorrect headlights.
Well, I'll be taking my user's manual to 'prove' that adjustable headlights do exist. Despite the technology having existed for over 10 years, it's amazing how many 'driving abroad' websites still insist on plastic stickers. Obviously it's only a select range of cars that have this feature, dare I say it the 'premium' sector, so I can understand why most people assume you need deflectors.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 17:13   #26
Tatsfield
Premier Member

My 2012 XC70 has the levers but I believe that later cars can adjust the dip electronically through the on screen computer. Is that so?
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 17:38   #27
apersson850
Premier Member

Or maybe the other way around. The first edition of the user's manual for my XC70 suggests electrical adjustment to be available, but it isn't on my car. Later editions of the same manual points to the manually activated lever inside the headlamp housing.
Manuals for later year models say the same, i.e. use the manual lever.

My guess is they did have the more luxury electrical adjustment to begin with, but some pennycounter put an end to that expense. Just a guess, I don't really know.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 18:33   #28
StayFrosty

Just to add my tuppence: I have a 2015 XC70 SE LUX Nav with active bi xenon lights. It's the same as martin's description and photo. It's only a small movement and doesn't require much force.
StayFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 09:36   #29
chrisfr

Martin, just to clarify, have you got active bending dipped beams like a person in another post suggested, or non bending bi xenons ? There seems to be two distinct vesions of active beams. Main and dipped. I have figured out that the active high beam versions have a means via the menu to change to rh traffic, but mine, the active dipped beam dont. I have to change the headlight units for a rh traffic version which is 1800 euros. There dont seem to be any levers, but i have not tried taking off the back off the unit. My whole headlight unit comes out, but yours seems to stay in the car. Volvos them selves do not have a clue what car has what unit fitted or hiw to change them over. Mine looks like its going to be the nuclear option of changing the whole unit.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 18:15   #30
1monkey600

I have a MY16 xc70.

It has active xenon headlamps (aka ABL-active bending headlamps) these are basically the dipped headlamp units and they follow the steering angle of the car from side to side, when activated. These are the xenon bulbs.

It also has active main beam (aka AHB-active high beam) which means you can switch on high beam and leave it and the car automatically switches off the main beam when a car comes the other way or you enter a built up area with streetlights. These main beams are halogen units as xenons wouldn't activate quickly enough or last long enough for regular on-off usage.

For travelling abroad, in my case taking it back to UK, I have to open up the headlight and move the lever as per the above. Takes a couple of minutes each side while on the eurotunnel. Hardest part is disconnecting the cable connector but nowadays I have done it often enough that I can flick the levers without disconnecting the wire.

Flicking the levers is a temporary thing and the headlight units themselves are specific for LHD or RHD cars so must be changed if you want to import your continental car to UK, or vice versa.

Back in 1989 I had a Lancia Delta and a mate hade a BMW 316. Both of these could be legitimately be switched from true RHD to true LHD (rather than just blanking off the 'flick' to the nearside. You had to loosen two or three screws a few turns and then rotate the headlight internals about 20-30deg then tighten up again, and that was it. Haven't had a car since where things were so easy!
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote