Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Driver's window internal channel

Views : 372

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2023, 16:19   #1
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Default V70 Driver's window internal channel

Hi all,

So today I decided to investigate a really annoying rattle in the driver's door, quite a loud clunk of metal-on-metal every time I shut the door - worse with the window down, clearly something loose.

I took off the door card and the plastic cover at the top near the lock, and sure enough there's an internal curved U-shaped piece that appears to be a channel for the window glass when it's lowered. It's held in with a torx screw in the door shut, and the piece of metal on the channel that the screw goes into had fractured off. No problem with that, soon welded back up and ready to go back in.

However, there's a similar channel at the front of the door, and this has a U-shaped rubber/felt insert in it, so the glass slides down inside that nice and smooth and quiet. The outer channel that I've repaired doesn't have any rubber insert, and as such I can't really see what it actually does the way it is.

So, can anybody confirm whether I should in fact have a rubber/felt insert in this channel? Yes, I've checked in the bottom of the door void and it's not lying around in there! I suspect it is supposed to have an insert, because in several places down the channel sides there are little barb tangs, that look as if they're there to hold it in.

If it is indeed supposed to have one, anybody got one? Long shot I know, but if anyone's scrapping a car or has a spare door it's very easy to get out once the door card is off. I'd rather not have to take the door card off again, so ideally I'd want to fit it before I put it all back together again, but not the end of the world if it takes a bit of time to get one.

If it's supposed to have an insert I'd really like to fit it, as I want to get back to the traditional Volvo "thunk" as you shut the door, not the current "just dropped a bag of spanners" sound that I have - maybe more quiet when driving too, especially with the window down, which I guess is when this channel does what it's supposed to do.

Hope this all makes sense - it will to anyone who has delved inside the driver's door of a V70.

Cheers!
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 21:31   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Yes, it should have the rubber/felt insert as per the front one. It prevents the glass from vibrating too when lowered.

My guess is a previous owner, or mech, flung it in the bin not realising its function or maybe it's just hidden from your view....?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 21:45   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Yes, it should have the rubber/felt insert as per the front one. It prevents the glass from vibrating too when lowered.

My guess is a previous owner, or mech, flung it in the bin not realising its function or maybe it's just hidden from your view....?
Perfect, that's what I thought, many thanks. Now the next challenge is to get one....
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 22:08   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Tweedle12 is breaking an S70 https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=334971 if he still has the doors.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 16:01   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Well, the ever helpful Steve Sarre of this very forum came up with a spare window channel complete with rubber/felt insert, and amazingly it arrived today. Huge thanks to Steve, who is very knowledgeable and super helpful, top man.

I decided to do a couple of slight modifications to Steve's item before fitting, a) his was held on by a single pop rivet rather than a torx screw, so I whipped out the welder and welded on a captive nut, which will save drilling out the rivet every time I need to get at the door lock. Although it's working now, lock microswitches are common failure points on these cars so I'm sure I'll want to get back in there again eventually. b) I also welded on a tiny prong to hold the rubber insert fully in the channel.

It's a bit fiddly to re-fit, but a good helping of patience got there in the end, and it's all back together again. I'm happy to report that the door now shuts with a satisfying "whump", with the window up or down, as it should do especially on a Volvo!

So there were actually 3 reasons I decided to go inside the driver's door. The first is the above mentioned window channel, now sorted. The second was that the microswitches have been playing up for a while on the door lock, so the courtesy lights only came on intermittently, if ever. However, just recently they have failed to go OFF when the door is shut, and I've had a flat battery on 3 occasions over the past month, so something had to be done.

I removed the lock, and thoroughly de-greased it. I could see the suspect microswitch, it's the one that is activated when the door is shut and de-activates when the door is open, it's operated by a long curved piece of white plastic that pivots at one end. I've had this problem before on another door, and the solution in both cases has been to carefully clean up the part of the plastic arm where it pushes the microswitch, rough it up with a piece of abrasive paper and glue on a thin square of additional plastic. I used a section of the bottom of a yoghurt pot and cleaned the surfaces up with carb cleaner, then glued it on with superglue. I left it overnight to harden with the switch in the engaged position to put some pressure on the new patch, and it works a dream. Before re-fitting I lubed up all of the plastic parts with Silicone lube (especially the pivot of the aforementioned white plastic arm), and lubed all the metal parts with GT85. Now works smoothly and reliably EVERY time, so a fiddly job but well worth doing.

Third reason wasn't a major problem but the switch on the driver's door switch pack that operates the right rear window was stuck and wouldn't move. Took the switch pack apart (carefully, there are four or five spring-loaded rods that like to take flight across the workshop) and found the problem that the relevant switch didn't have the operating rod properly located in its slot. This was made worse by the two halves of the switch not wanting to stay totally closed together when assembled, due to some wear/damage on the little plastic tangs, so I sorted that by judicious use of a tiny self-tapping screw. While I was in there I noticed that all the switch arms were quite dirty and dusty, and I know these units are prone to failure with the switch contacts burning, so I gave it a thorough clean up and blast with carb cleaner and contact cleaner, and it all looks in pretty good condition now, so hopefully that'll last for a good few more years. Plugged in the unit and re-connected the battery and it all works spot on, just as it should.

So all in all a very successful and worthwhile foray into the inside of the driver's door, sorted all the problems and hopefully it'll be good to go for a good few more years.

Thanks again to all on here and especially Steve, what a top forum this is!

Cheers

Last edited by Luxobarge; Oct 10th, 2023 at 16:05.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 16:56   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Brilliant result and nice to have everything behaving as it should. You'll be grinning like a Cheshire cat for several weeks 😸

Credit to Steve for getting the guide out to you so fast!

The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post: