Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 2litre petrol. UK. vibration 2.5k rpm engine mounts, f

Views : 453

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2019, 12:41   #1
lockstock

Default C30 2litre petrol. UK. vibration 2.5k rpm engine mounts, f

2l petrol c30. RHD. I get a vibration I can feel through car, pedals, floor etc. at 2.5k rpm.

Gear change is fine, manipulation of clutch pedal doesn't 'seem' to affect the note/tone of vibration.

I've read on ford focus forums of engine mounts causing this, or more rarely DMF flywheel being the culpret.

Clutch flywheel is megabucks so wanted to ask advice first. Anything I can do to rule things out?

My gut is to change engine mounts first as cheaper than clutch/flywheel option. thoughts?

cheers
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 15:47   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

Vibration can be from many different thing like the tires and if they are weighted correctly etc

Doesnt harm changing your engine mounts at all but if its happening at a certain speed maybe look at your wheel alignment or wheel weights?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 15:59   #3
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Vibration can be from many different thing like the tires and if they are weighted correctly etc

Doesnt harm changing your engine mounts at all but if its happening at a certain speed maybe look at your wheel alignment or wheel weights?
Hi, it's good advice. already had new tyres, balanced and tracking done... also, it does it when stationary in neutral.. so its engine speed related not road speed. my RHS upper mount split and leaked when i touched it so rubber is defo perished
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 18:44   #4
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile miles?

what sort of milage has it done ?, as you say it shares a lot of mechanicals from the ford focus..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 19:39   #5
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
what sort of milage has it done ?, as you say it shares a lot of mechanicals from the ford focus..
just shy of 80k miles. I'm going to get RHS and rear engine mounts changed. the rear us bolted directly into subframe so since the top one has perished, may be transferring the vibration.. I'm just hoping not the flywheel as there are zero other symptoms of a bad clutch
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 08:43   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile mounts

The mount you mentioned thats split, is this the drivers side one, worth taking a look at the one under the battery tray (fairly easy to change also), have you had a look under the car at the one at the back of the gearbox (has a larger vertical bolt into subframe i think), post some pics of what you have there 😀
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 20:34   #7
lockstock

Quote:
The mount you mentioned thats split, is this the drivers side one, worth taking a look at the one under the battery tray (fairly easy to change also), have you had a look under the car at the one at the back of the gearbox (has a larger vertical bolt into subframe i think), post some pics of what you have there 😀
I've ordered all three if the RHs hydraulic mount is shot, my guess is the others are on their way too.. changing them Friday but getting some help as dont have the space (or a torque wrench). If I can get some pics I will.. The more I read about symptoms, the less likely it is the flywheel, but I'll find out when the mounts are done. The hydralic one thats now perished and leaking must be in terrible shape underneath.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 18:41   #8
lockstock

Quote:
Forgot to take pics as was all a rush this morning, ended up sorting today rather than Friday... Well it fixed the car!! the main culpret was the torque mount. The RHS hydraulic mount was stuffed but other than leaking didn't look so bad. the LHS mount under battery looked in good shape but on one edge had what looked like a 'split'... looking more closely it was a manufacture defect, a thin void in the rubber mould. The tourqe mount looked fine but was so floppy you could get huge deflection just with your hand!. The replacement was a slightly different design with extra rubber on all interior sides of the mount...

Let this be a lesson. Failing mounts on this P1 platform can manifest in all sorts of unusual vibration. Mine was 'diagnosed' as a faulty DMF. From my own research I ignored this and went for mounts. Saved myself best part of £800!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 14:37   #9
superhifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
F Failing mounts on this P1 platform can manifest in all sorts of unusual vibration. Mine was 'diagnosed' as a faulty DMF. From my own research I ignored this and went for mounts. Saved myself best part of £800!!!
Did you follow a guide to changing the mounts or is it pretty simple and self explanatory?
superhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 15:44   #10
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhifi View Post
Did you follow a guide to changing the mounts or is it pretty simple and self explanatory?
lots of vids on you tube showing everything. c30 is the P1 platform, same as ford focus 2. so lots of US people diy...

It's easy though. drivers side (rh).. lift up coolant tank off mount and tuck to one side. support engine underneath with Jack (carful to spport on a good spot with a piece of wood, NOT under air con compressor. There is a good spot near engine gearbox union). There are 4 bolts , two on engine (undo these first) then 2 holding mount to chassis. do these last. you may need to adjust jack to releive pressure. lift mount out, new one in, job done...

LHS mount... safely disconnect battery, remove, remove battery tray (4 or 5 bolts). with engine still supported remove large central nut, this is the gearbox stud. once off remove the other 4 bolts and lift out mount. reverse with new mount.

torque mount will need car on ramp or stands. hard to explain but very easy. 3 bolts for bracket.. 2 for transmission mount... find a vid on youtube.. there are lots.

fyi, the vibration is greatly reduced, but it has revealed there is minor imbalance in DMF afterall, so I'll do this too. But mounts were shot anyway.

Good luck!